+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CBS Stacked the Deck.

In fact I think it is a good process, as it gets a mixture of people, some who would not otherwise EVER be on the show... If you only picked from a pool of rabid fanatics willing enough to create and submit a tape, they would be severely limiting their pool of contestants, and everyone would be very similar.
    Good point, marksman.

But I've yet to see one of the *recruited* contestants that is butt-ugly, or even an average joe/jane.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Everyone - whether they were recruited or not - gets paid. It depends on how long they lasted, of course, but it's not as if you walk away empty-handed.
    Yes, I know that. I was just wondering if the "recruited" ones get additional pay for "performing". Doesn't the SAG have rules about getting paid?

And, remember Johnny Fairplay? He was very upfront about the fact that he was recruited when he was walking down the street and didn't have to do much of anything except show up for the show.

So, is what we're REALLY watching manufactured reality? I'd have to say (in some instances) heck, yes. Call me a purist, but I like my reality rough around the edges and without a patina of gloss to make it palatable.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Newbie
    BUT, I think Wanda is allowed a certain amount of disappointment. To work that hard to get somewhere (and, I don't care if she WAS singing, she isn't the first - and I'll take the corny survivor songs over some other contestant's religious hymns) and then get dumped before she can do ANYTHING survivoresque? I'd be bummed too. It's like getting kissed through a screen door - but phooey!!

Did you just mention Wanda and kissing in the same paragraph? OMG!

FORT Newbie
    I wonder if Wanda is getting the people who did not do videos confused. Because I vaguley remember hearing during the All-Star season that one of the companies that advertise all the time on Survivor were holding a contest and two grand prize winners would be on survivor 10. So that could be the people who did not do videos but it doesnt mean that they were hired or are models.

Wanda is probably just bitter. I'm just glad the others on the island agreed with me that she is very annoying and got her off as quickly as possible.

Snoozin' on the beach
    My original note wasn't a response to Wanda's comments. heck, I think she has gone around the bend. But if they are going to have models and actors as contestants, it really detracts from the game, actions, reactions and spontaneity.

Most Survivors are thinking if I do XYZ then I have a better shot at lasting longer to get to F2. The actor/model contestants are thinking if I do XYZ then I might land a roll on a Soap Opera or a product endorsement or get some kind of job in entertainment for it. Look at JFP, he played up the "bad guy" crap to further his career as a wrestler. I'm sure ALL the survivors will milk the publicity and opportunities that arise from being on the show but its the actors and models that get into shows like this just for that purpose. So what they do in the game is not to win the money but to get exposure.

I'm sure not all of them are like that but it seems most of them are. Think of all the huge moments in Survivor, the hall of fame type speeches and stuff. They come from average Jane or Joe that's an accountant, cook, teacher or whatever. Its not doing anything for them or their "career". Its just so real.

You know what it reminds me of? Anyone watch the last big brother? Jace was so over the top, it was the worst acting job in the world. It was painfully obvious his jackass antics were being done in the hopes of getting an acting job from it. It really takes away from other people, the game itself and interaction/strategies.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Survivor crossed the overacting barrier long ago.....Johnny Fairplay for example.....they knew he was a pro-wrestler....and you can only expect one type of schmaltz from them.....

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by museumguy
    Survivor crossed the overacting barrier long ago.....Johnny Fairplay for example.....they knew he was a pro-wrestler....and you can only expect one type of schmaltz from them.....
    IMO Jerri was the first contestant to go that route. It seemed like she really played up what she said and did for the cameras. She cast herself in the role of "outback Bitch". It seemed put on to me, totally fake.

I don't know if she was an actor before she was on Survivor but i can easily see her thinking " If I can't win, I'll create a memorable character....the contestant everyone loves to hate and hope it leads to a gig down the line.". She may be a bitch in real life but she was the first (that I recall) that acted a certain way, trying to cash in. I'm sure at some point she realized she wasn't gonna get the money so she made the most of the exposure.

FORT Fogey
    JFP was recruited and he's really ugly. I'm sure there are other less attractive people who have gotten on the show for whatever reason and they were recruited.

Not all hot people are recruited and not all recruited people are hot. I do wonder when they started with the recruiting? I'm thinking it was probably after S4

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    JFP was recruited and he's really ugly. I'm sure there are other less attractive people who have gotten on the show for whatever reason and they were recruited.

Not all hot people are recruited and not all recruited people are hot. I do wonder when they started with the recruiting? I'm thinking it was probably after S4
    Nicole from PI was the first person I heard of that was recruited for this show, although I'm sure there were more before her. Heidi had originally applied to TAR first, but was told to try out for this show instead (not sure if that really counts as recruiting or not). There's been some other contestants, I believe, that also applied to another reality show but got on this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast