+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Coby

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    It's obvious he does not like Tom - even now.
    Tom's life personifies everything that Coby wasn't, isn't, or is ever going to be. Coby probably doesn't even know that the reason that he doesn't like Tom is because Tom is a secure and productive adult male.

I wondered if the others said that Coby was a threat in there little reasons why they put his name down that they don't always show. They show who voted for who and they are always saying something. Even though I don't think he could have gotten the numbers because he let his attitude get the best of him. :nono I do think he was somewhat of a threat because he was the only one who was even thinking about going up against Tom. The others are so in they are going to let him walk off with this unless they smarten up. To bad Coby turned into such a . He was a pretty funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Wow. He shocked me with how much venom he was spewing in confessionals AND in camp. Also, he utterly hated Tom..simply because Tom was a 'worker bee'. The resentment he was harboring is what "did him in"..
    Tom reminds him of all the jocks type, athletic kids back in his high school days who used to torment him and didn't want to pick him for teams etc.

It is not Tom that he resents, it's the image of a strong alpha male!

Nghe

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson
    I do think he was somewhat of a threat because he was the only one who was even thinking about going up against Tom. The others are so in they are going to let him walk off with this unless they smarten up.
    Gregg was the first one that thought up the plan to go against Tom, but Coby wasn't able to play his cards right. He couldn've helped Gregg pull it off, but he couldn't stay quiet even for a million dollars.

He was good in the challenges, but he sucked at playing the political game.

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson
    I wondered if the others said that Coby was a threat in there little reasons why they put his name down that they don't always show. They show who voted for who and they are always saying something. Even though I don't think he could have gotten the numbers because he let his attitude get the best of him. :nono I do think he was somewhat of a threat because he was the only one who was even thinking about going up against Tom. The others are so in they are going to let him walk off with this unless they smarten up. To bad Coby turned into such a . He was a pretty funny guy.
    From Survivor Insider:

Tom (Votes Coby): You're a good guy, but you're feeling a little cornered and you're playing real hard, and that makes you dangerous.

Katie (Votes Coby): You just talk too much. And that's not precious.

Ian (Votes Coby): Buddy, it's like being in the Mafia. It's business, not pleasure. And it's just your turn to get whacked. You're bad for business.

Jen (Votes Coby): Coby, Coby, I just - I love you sweetie. We're going to miss you at camp. But I just can't trust all the flip-flopping. I don't know what you've been doing lately, but it's a bummer. We hate to see you go. But that's the way it's gotta be.

Coby (Votes Janu): I'm only placing this vote for you because you asked me to. And one of us has to stay in the game to throw in the chicken leg.

Caryn (Votes Coby):
    Coby, I think your mistake was trying to build alliances without first trying to build friendships. I'm sorry.

Gregg (Votes Coby): Coby, a little too much too soon. If you had a little more patience I think we could have worked out a good plan together. Sorry bud.

Stephenie (Votes Coby): Coby, Iím just going with the strategic vote right now, trying to do what's right for me to get me as far as I can in this game. You did an awesome job. Good luck in the future. Can't wait to see you. Bye.

Janu (Votes Stephanie): Stephenie, you're a strong woman and a true survivor, and the only reason why I'm putting your name here is because the Koror tribe had decided it'd like that before you came in. So I'm just following their wishes. Good luck.

Tom orchestrated the punting of Willard because of Toms concern that Willard was intelligent and could be good at puzzles.

Coby played a major role in the previous 2 ICs because they were puzzles. Coby was a threat when it came to puzzle solving. And he didn't play the game deceitfully enough, he actually told Stephenie the tribal politics in plain view rather that taking her into the jungle like he's "supposed to".
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

Really, I don't have a TV I_have_no_TV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg
    From Survivor Insider:

entire quote
    That's a great quote. It's interesting that Coby was voted out by EVERYBODY but Coby and Janu. A couple questions came to mind:

[1.] Was Coby voted out because he was a "threat" or because he was really, really annoying? Or is being a serious (pot)-stirrer the same thing as being a threat.

[2.] Did Coby really self-destruct as quickly as it looked like on the show? Or was he always on the outside looking in?

[3.] Why did Coby resent Tom as much as he did? Tom was just "being himself," something Coby supposedly values. (Although on the other hand, Coby DID accuse him of being fake.) Obviously, editing can add a lot, but Burnett really made Coby look jealous and spiteful in the last two episodes. And Coby's post show interviews hinting that everyone was homophobic is just a cheap shot (He said something like "Nobody wanted to play with me. I wonder why THAT was?").

[4.] If you're unhappy with a situation and (supposedly) have the opportunity to change it, shouldn't one do that, before giving up and quitting?

Anyhow, it was a great episode. I'm still trying to figure out why Coby self-destructed like he did.
    I now have TV and TIVO and watch nothing but Fear Factor re-runs.

Sounds like even his "allies" didn't really trust him.
    Gregg, Jen and Caryn didn't think they could rely on him.

Perhaps getting over talkative with Steph, and then the repercussions of Steph then relaying all that back to Kate and Jen killed him.
    Badly played.

I don't think Coby was a physical threat, and I'm sure the remaining guys didn't see him as a physical threat ... but in solving puzzles he was a threat.

He did like to stir the pot. And we saw a lot of confessionals with him, so we knew his opinions - not necessarily what was really happening.

I think he got tired and hungry, and lost his plan. I think he realized that it took giving up your principles to win the game, and he wasn't ready to do that. He saw others change when the game changed to one tribe, and knew there would be a lot of nasty gameplaying from now on. When things got nasty at the playground when he was young, he left. He was consistent ... he didn't like the way the game was going, so he left.

He was always on the outside. He said in the pregame previews that the guys would be doing their testosterone things while he would be down at the beach braiding the girls hair and strategizing. That never materialized ... a big part of his game plan didn't happen.

"Nobody wanted to play with me."

I think that phrase was about how he was unable to make any alliances in the tribe. He didn't fit with the alpha trio, Willard was axed early, Jenn hooked up with Gregg, he couldn't stand Katie ( who can? ), that left Janu and Caryn, Caryn said he should build a friendship first, and how good is an ally that can't haul herself out of the hammock? I think he wanted to be the second coming of RobC - who got lots of dance partners in the Amazon. I saw him as a RobC type before the game, but I didn't see it during the game. I really liked RobCs game.

I think Coby realized the lying, cheating and backstabbing that was about to go on and asked himself." is this who I am?" and found the answer was no.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I am surprised that everyone keeps saying Coby had no physical game. He did quite well in a number of challenges that were physical. Really helped his tribe. I'm not saying he could beat Tom regularly, but he was by no means a physical loser, and depending on the challenge and luck he had the potential to win even a primarily physical challenge. Combine that with his puzzle skill, and even his potstirring penchant for plotting... I could see him as threat to the top guys. Tom only needs to lose once, and I think the others might vote him out, he's so obviously the winner if he makes it to F2.
    Of course they may have voted Coby out because he was a pain to have around at the end...but they certainly could have used that as the excuse to get rid of someone who might actually win an immunity. Vs. Janu who surely must be getting to be a pain as well, but who won't win, barring a return of her health. Following that reasoning they will target Gregg next, using the excuse of his romance teammate, then maybe Karen or they will start to turn on each other ("they" here is Tom, Ian, Steph, Katie).
    So why is it that no one remembers Coby's physical skills? Hmmmm not to go all up on the latent homophobia thing, but if people focus too much on hairdresser image maybe they have trouble keeping a memory of him being strong at times? Since most people find those two images incompatible?
    Last edited by PWS; 04-19-2005 at 05:41 AM.

I'll give Coby points for physical ability. Yep.

+ Reply to Thread