+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Guide's Interview with Rory

TV Guide's Interview with Rory

From TV Guide Online, link to article here.

Survivor Pyro Snuffed Out

Survivor: Vanuatu castoff Rory Freeman apparently took the show's "Islands of Fire" theme a bit too seriously. When the female-dominated Yasur tribe refused to give him a fair shake, the 35-year-old Iowan raged and threatened to wreck the camp! Here, the wannabe fire-starter tells TV Guide Online it could've been quite the pyrotechnic show if his flame weren't extinguished in a merge that gave the women in the newly formed Alinta tribe a big edge. The outspoken guy also predicts that the days are numbered for Vanuatu's remaining men Chad, Chris and Sarge and explains why he couldn't stand Ami.

TV Guide Online: You spent time in both Lopevi and Yasur. Did you get along with any of your tribe mates?
    Rory Freeman: Bubba's my favorite. He and I are extremely tight. We hope to keep in touch and we look forward to our families meeting and things like that.

TVGO: I'm guessing you won't be best pals with Ami.
    Rory: I'm not going to become best friends with [former Lopevi tribe mate] Brady, and Ami would run a close second. Any time you have a lot of independent people and strong Type A personalities, you are always going to have a conflict. I frankly just didn't like the way that Ami treated me. No pity. She didn't even try and cut me any slack.

TVGO: You threatened to make the Yasur girls pay if they planned on voting you off. What exactly were you going to do?
    Rory: I was going to go over, put the largest log into the fire and burn the whole hut down.

TVGO: Really?
    Rory: I can be a calm person, but [I kept] getting told, "No, we're not going to help you." And then just dealing with Ami's attitude anyway, it gets to the point where [I thought]: "Fine, if I go, I'm going to burn a bunch of stuff down." I was planning on doing a couple of different things: One, I was going to steal the flint and steal the machete. And two, I was going to burn down the lean-to. But the day that I planned on doing it, we won the Home Cafe [reward challenge]. The next day was the slingshot and I won that challenge, and then after that we merged, so I never had the opportunity. Believe me, all I needed was 10 minutes.

TVGO: Surprised by the harsh comments people made about you?
    Rory: No, because when I was with Lopevi, I ran into Brady and J.P. having a conversation about the fact I was going to be voted off at the first opportunity that they had. I was a little astounded to find out that I was "annoying." That is not what my intention was, but the fact of the matter is that I had an X on my head from the first day. And I certainly know that you expected me out a lot sooner.

TVGO: You're right, I did! But when you survived several weeks in Yasur's camp, I started to think you had a chance.
    Rory: I know. I got off to a rocky start. But not a lot of people can break up a group of five women. That was a lot of work. I thought all the work and the effort would have come down to a better shake in the game, but it was just the numbers. The guys had the opportunity to change that up last week. Instead of voting off Julie or Twila, they voted John Kenney off. When I got over there to the new tribe, I talked to them and [the guys] are all wishy-washy "We really like Julie and Twila and they are voting for us." I'm thinking, "What are you talking about? Every woman over in Yasur knows that Julie and Twila are playing you guys. The only people that don't know that, apparently, is the three of you." The part that I disliked the most [about being voted off] was that it was not out of something that I did. I had plenty of people p----d off enough times to vote me off, but I still managed to get through all of that. Then it comes down to a numbers thing based on men versus women. I am a little salty about that.

TVGO: I can tell. You called yourself the victim of a gender war. Why you instead of one of the other guys?
    Rory: From what it appears to me, they thought I was a physical threat in the challenges.

TVGO: They may have a point. You almost won the individual immunity challenge.
    Rory: I ran out of gas. It was the back-to-back part that killed me. I got two-thirds of the way through the second heat and I was climbing up the ladder and I didn't have anything left. But I still beat Ami. [Laughs]

Snoozin' on the beach
    This guy is unbelievable. I never liked him as a survivor and I don't even like him as a person. He's the epitome of sore loser. He has replace Sue Hawke on my list of bad losers and that's a hard thing to do!

The men didn't like him when he was at Lopevi and the women didn't either. Everyone wanted you gone. Gee Rory, can't you figure it out that out of 12 people only 1 (Blubba the dumb) liked you?

Your a physical threat? get real. Your annoying, a whiner and a jerk...that's why you got booted and you know it.

I would imagine that burning down the hut and stealing their stuff would be equal to getting physical with another player and would have gotten disqualified. The producers would think he went off the deep end.

Personally, I think Rory was the most interesting player there, definetly the most interesting male player--Chris being a close second for gameplay. The fact that he was able to keep from being eliminated while on Yasur is very impressive, and if Julie hadn't made Twila believe that the Lopevi men had made the same deal with her as with Twila, Rory would still be there, IMO.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    I wish things would have traveled the route of him buring down the camp and stealing the tools. Now THAT would have been entertaining! I wonder what production would have done, if anything. He must be hell to live with.

Holy crap! I thought all the talk about burning Yasur down was sour grapes, but he had detailed plan in place. What a psycho!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

As a Survivor character Rory was great. He was opinionated, good at challenges, and quirky. Everything that makes the show interesting. Its a shame not many others share Rory's traits, it might make the show better.

Really, watching Rory dig his early hole, then slowly climb his way out of it has been the only interesting storyline this whole season.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I didn't find him entertaining at all. I think he's a hypocrite, sore loser and a jackass. When the women won, he has a hissy fit that they are classless in their celebration. When the men finally won, he celebrated just as much. Guess its only classless when your on the losing team, eh Rory?

he actually expects Ami to cut him some slack and show pity? You gotta be kidding. Where in "Outwit, outlast, outplay" does it say "cut slack"? They are in competition with each other for $1 million, why would she even think of giving up her advantage to him? And what about the pity and slack he cut Brook, Brady and John when he booted them? He took full advantage of his majority alliance, just as she did. As long as he is on the winning side it's OK to do?

I don't think he had the guts to actually burned the place down. if he really was intent on it, he could have done it anytime. It's easy to talk tough in an interview (long after the fact) when there's no way anyone would know for sure. Glad your gone, blowhard

Shady--tell us what you really think!

See? In order to generate spite and loathing such as that, means he WAS interesting. No one talks about Scout or Sarge like that. And it is the players like Rory that get people coming back each week. As much as I hated Jonny Fairplay, I tuned in each week to see him get his comeupance. Luckily for CBS, he lasted long into the season.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I do agree with what your saying about someone like JFP. I hated him and really wanted to see him get his due, so i did keep watching. Same with Rob M. Unlike JFP, he was never responsible for anyone (male or female) getting the boot. In the interview he credits himself with breaking up the womens stronghold. The truth is, he had nothing whatsoever to do with Lisa getting booted instead of him. She made the unfortunate comment and made herself a bigger threat (in Ami's eyes).

I never liked Rory but I didn't watch to see him make a fool of himself every week, nor did i watch hoping to see him get booted. He was gone sooner rather than later and it was a given that he'd stick his foot in his mouth every episode. He differed from the contestants like JFP as he is not the classic villain. He's not a villain at all or a good guy. He is just there, taking up space. IMO he's an obnoxious jerk that was lucky enough to fall into the male majority vote. He only lasted this long because there were too many young, strong guys that were more of a threat

As you can see, the self important windbag annoyed the crap outta me, i'm just glad i don't have to hear his whining anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast