+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time for Closed Captioning

It's time for Closed Captioning

Is is just me or is it darn near impossible to understand a thing on Survivor? With the variety of accents, background noise and the fact that people are usually whispering while back-stabbing it's starting to get to me. Many other reality shows use captioning when not even necessary. I usually crank the volume to (try to) hear the conversations only to get a near heart attack when the commercials come on LOUD. Just needed to vent, carry on.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadog
    Is is just me or is it darn near impossible to understand a thing on Survivor? With the variety of accents, background noise and the fact that people are usually whispering while back-stabbing it's starting to get to me. Many other reality shows use captioning when not even necessary. I usually crank the volume to (try to) hear the conversations only to get a near heart attack when the commercials come on LOUD. Just needed to vent, carry on.

Honestly, I haven't had many problems understanding them.

I find the editors give us closed captioning for just the right parts where we can't hear/understand the contestants. Otherwise, I hear things fine.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    My only problem is with accents, but that was pretty much just Darrah and Tom. Every now and then I miss something, but it's not too terrible.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

I've had this problem with several shows over the last few years. It seems that "background" music overpowers dialogue on many shows that I watch, & it seems even worse on reality shows b/c they aren't on a sound stage, so they also have the natural sounds that also contribute to difficulty in hearing people converse.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fan
    I had the same problem with Lord of The Rings. I must be the only one on the planet who didn't read the books, so with the weird names, the accents and the loud music, I didn't know half of what was said. We bought the movies and I watched it with the words dubbed in. It made it much easier.

Does your tv come with that capability? I know I can get all of mine to do that.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Survivor is in closed captioning. I know cuz that is how i have to watch it. On occasion though, the captioning goes out...due to the caption provider. But otherwise its no problem. You don't need a caption converter ( which I use). Any TV over 13 inches should have that option on the remote ( unless its a tv made before 1992).

Sometimes the conversation imoves fast and there is always a "typo" that hits just in the right spot and is really funny. I don't know if the typist was going so quick, they don't realize your not supposed to type the cursing or what. But the mumbling under the breath is great lol

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkinlady
    ...We bought the movies and I watched it with the words dubbed in. It made it much easier.

i do that with every movie i rent or buy for the first time i watch it because i alwasy miss out on something.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I have a hard time hearing the mumbled, whispery, back-stabbing talk too. For me, A lot of the times, it's the damn music they're playing that causes things to be missed.

The neighbors all know when we're watching Survivor, cause the tv is blaring every Thursday.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I agree...Survivor can be tough to understand with all the accents, quiet chattering, and background noise. I always use closed captions whenever I watch. Actually, I use closed captions for everything I watch. I just got addicted to them for some reason. They bother some people, but I like them now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast