+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time for Closed Captioning

I posted before watching last night's episode, and guess what they actually provided captions once (of course, there is a major world-wide conspiracy to make me look stupid)! I understood everything else just fine. IMO, Episode 2 had a lot of parts that were very hard to hear and no captions provided. I wonder if they got complaints, beacuse I don't remember having seen captions very often before.

I will definetly try to figure out the closed captioning on my TV.

Luckily it's easy to hit the CC button on my remote if I need it during Survivor. I had to turn it on last week because my dog was howling at me begging for some pizza crust.

Sometimes it seems as though they put the regular captions on when there isn't much reason for them to do so. Last week, Julie got captioned at the start even though she seemed easy enough to understand. But then Twila and Mia yelling, no regular caption even though some of it was hard to pick out. My CC button saved me though.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadog
    I wonder if they got complaints, beacuse I don't remember having seen captions very often before.

Many episodes of Survivor, Big Brother and even Amazing Race have had captioned scenes. Often, its when the contestants are whispering. I'd say that at least half the episodes of Survivor had contained some captions.

i can't understand what twila says at all

Leo
    Premium Member
    I'd cut Survivor some slack. They're not exactly shooting on a sound stage - the locations are far from ideal, sound-wise. It's not like they could wire everyone with a microphone, could they?

Almost everything is closed-captioned. You don't need special equipment, it's built into your tv unless you have a tv built before 1992. I'm deaf. Mine are on all the time. And no, it's not word for word. :phhht That's something I figured out after I got a cochlear implant!

I haven't had any problem at all.
    Then again I remember watching a documentary about the Kentucky backwoods and I couldn't figure out why they kept putting all the words in text. I understood them fine.
    I guess living in Arkansas has prepared me to understand anyone

FORT Newbie
    Okay, just a thought... I think we can all agree that the most dull season of Survivor was Survivor: Thailand. One of the main reasons for this was, in my opinion, because the older generation of one tribe stayed allied to a tee, and there was very little challenging of the ranks, making it easy for Brian to win.

Unfortunately, I do see the same possibility happening here. Sure, the young people generally make good eye-candy, and as I am 25 myself I can relate to them more, but with the exception of Richard Hatch and Rupert, the most entertainingly aggressive players have been younger (ie. Rob C, Rob M, Jon, Kelly, Saundra...). I think this is because the older generation just has more patience usually. They won't look five episodes down the road, not see their win (like Rob C. did), and suddenly switch sides. They're more likely to stick with what they have, and avoid plotting too much until the end is right in their face. This happened with the Taki alliance and Brian's alliance (forget the name). Let's be honest, Richard got pretty lucky (it seems we often forget that the deciding vote was Greg's, who simply asked Rich and Kelly to pick a number between one and ten), and that made Richard's win a hoot, plus the fact that it was new. But Survivor: Thailand...arg..Brian had it too easy. He got a solid alliance together and was the only one that made one on one alliances with everybody except the useless Jan, and everybody just went along with it to the point that Brian could just decide exactly how he wanted the game to end. I doubt Brian would have had simliar luck with a younger alliance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems the same trend is happening here so far. Hopefully, the tribal mix up wioll shake things up, but i get an awful feeling that the majority old will still stick with the old. Personally, as much as I like Amy and Chad, I'm really rooting for Brady, John K, Julie, and even Eliza, just to keep the show interesting.

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculona
    I haven't had any problem at all.
    Then again I remember watching a documentary about the Kentucky backwoods and I couldn't figure out why they kept putting all the words in text. I understood them fine.
    I guess living in Arkansas has prepared me to understand anyone
    I guess I hadn't thought about what all of "ya'll" poor Yankees were going through with Twilla, Bubba, Big Tom, Darrah, etc. Greetings from the Lone Star State!
    There's always one in every bunch.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wilson
    Okay, just a thought... I think we can all agree that the most dull season of Survivor was Survivor: Thailand. One of the main reasons for this was, in my opinion, because the older generation of one tribe stayed allied to a tee, and there was very little challenging of the ranks, making it easy for Brian to win.

First of all, there have been at least three weak seasons: Marquesas (probably the worst), Thailand and The Amazon. All three suffered from boring people dominating the alliances and in two cases, even duller people winning the title.

As for why Brian won, it was pretty obvious: he was a whole lot smarter than everyone else.

So far this season, the interesting people have control of the alliances: Chris, Leah, Twila, Ami, etc. and the first three episodes have been terrific.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12