+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenna Morasca - Survivor 6 Contestant

I agree Nancy.
    I wpould prefer people to think smart and bring an item which actually has a practical use, but if it helps Jenna to have her crown with her why not bring it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I don't think there's anything wrong with sororities at all. In fact I belonged to one in college and I can tell you without a doubt that many of the stereotypes are way out there. I was the first female in my family to attend college, and it wasn't because I was the smartest...it was because we couldn't afford it. So the rich part is definitely out... And I'm pretty average looking too!

With that said, I think I understand why Jenna brought her paddle as it does represent people who are in strong support of her. I don't dislike her for being in a sorority or bringing that as her luxury item, I dislike her because I think she's not a very pleasant person. (and I also don't think it was the smartest move in the world to bring a luxury item that is neither interesting or useful to any other tribe member).
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Well, one of my beefs with the luxury item - the Zeta crown - is that it is not, in my opinion, a useful luxury item. I think it's a particularly bad one, in the sense of it being useful either for the tribe or for that individual in terms of the game. If anything, it will work against her.

But, like everyone else has said, the bigger problem is not what she brought, but how she's been acting so far. For me, the defining moment was when she decided to boil their buffs.

Interesting to hear the other side of the debate BF.

I feel that when they are allowed to bring so few posessions, the smart move would be to bring a luxury item that does have some practical use.
    As I said though, if it helps her then that's fine.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Part of the negative image of sororities (and fraternities) is that "outsiders" (like myself) are typically only exposed to media-driven accounts of what goes on in those organizations. I watched a single episode of "Sorority Life" on MTV this weekend, and I felt that it strongly corroborated all the negative stereotypes that I've already been exposed to. I'm glad to hear from folks like Bravo, though, who had positive experiences there.

I personally felt that joining a fraternity would be too restrictive and limiting for me. I also suspected I'd have difficulty adjusting to that environment as a non-drinker. And, finally, I had a good friend who left a fraternity because he didn't like the lifestyle. Obviously, others will have had different experiences and opinions.

Hm, that last paragraph is there just for the heck of it, I guess.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    My wife was actually a VP of recruitment at her sorority. Which I think means she made sure the girls knew how to drink or something.

And Leo, you're right - the Zeta crown isn't useful. Of course, neither are a 2001 Wildflower Triathon Finisher Medal, a , magnetic rings, a magic 8 ball, dog tags, or, to bring back an old favorite, a skateboard. CBS won't them them bring Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman you know.

Hey Wayner, I think a magic 8 ball is a very useful luxury item. How would you know if Heidi *really* liked you without it? But seriously, I wonder if you can bring a jar of those water cleansing tablets to make water potable. I would consider that a luxury in the Amazon.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    But Zaius, Rob's 8 ball is a faulty one. Notice that it has never come up with a negative response during the corse of three shows!!!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Part of the negative image of sororities (and fraternities) is that "outsiders" (like myself) are typically only exposed to media-driven accounts of what goes on in those organizations
    Yes, hideous shows like Sorority Life, the portrayal on the movies of the week, and Revenge of the Nerds is enough to drive a person mad.

It's unfair to stereotype and pigeonhole a group of people like that, yet it seems to be something that movie and tv producers really enjoy doing!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Wayner
    My wife was actually a VP of recruitment at her sorority. Which I think means she made sure the girls knew how to drink or something.

And Leo, you're right - the Zeta crown isn't useful. Of course, neither are a 2001 Wildflower Triathon Finisher Medal, a , magnetic rings, a magic 8 ball, dog tags, or, to bring back an old favorite, a skateboard. CBS won't them them bring Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman you know.
    I think a "useful" luxury item is something that either has a very real practival use that can help out around camp or is something such as Shawna's soccer ball, that an help pass the time away.

There are a few uses you could put a skateboard to if you were imaginative. Robb decided to pretty much just use it as a skateboard though

+ Reply to Thread