+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

FORT Newbie
    well, raindance... i m deaf myself. so
    i always use that called deafies thats mean it s many people who deaf. so it s simple to call 'deafies'

I think they may be exaggerating Christy's problems fitting in. She seemed to do pretty well except for her one breakdown in the confessional. Like she said, it's something she deals with every day, not something new. So I don't think she'll have any problem coping. It was just her venting her frustrations. I'm sure she's handling the situations a lot better than it appears.

I think that Christy is starting to bond a bit with Deena. And, Deena is a very strong, no nonsense kind of person, so their personalities should mesh well.

I LIKE Christy. I read somewhere where she was asked at her last Survivor interview before the show "Do you think it would be fair to put you on Survivor?" And, her response was "No. But, life isn't fair". IMO - the girl has guts and could very well surprise us all.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I think she may just be a bit rattled and maybe shy. The others may not have been around someone deaf , and just find it awkward. It doesn't excuse your behavior, but it does have a great deal to do with Christy's personality.
    I have a really close friend who is deaf ,( but has a cochlear implant). If she were in the Amazon, she would either be running the tribe after day one, or kicked off first for being so bossy. Her personality doesn't let the deafness be an issue.I forget all the time when I'm around her, til I get a poke or smack in the head because I'm talking and not facing her.

Lots of comments I agree with in tis thread.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Christy's problems are being exaggerated at this stage, possibly to make us think she gets booted off quick when really she lasts a while.

I also agree that she seems to be in the early stages of forming a bond or understanding with Deena.
    Christy needs to exert herself a little bit more I feel.
    That can be hard enough to do if it goes against your personality, but having that communication barrier might make it even more difficult.

I think her best bet would be to try and deal with each of her tribe mates on an individual level as much as possible as the group situations have been leaving her feeling confused and left out.
    "That's Numberwang!"

One thing that I noticed was right after the immunity challenge, when the women were walking away. The younger women (INCLUDING Christy) were all walking together with their arms around each others shoulders. Deena, Janet and Joanna were walking side by side (but not touching) behind them, carrying the idol. Interesting.

I think that Christy IS trying to bond on an individual basis as well as fit in with the "younger women" crowd.

Did anyone else notice this?
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

I saw two people walking behind as the tribe walked off, but didn't really notice who they were,
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm Deaf myself and after watching the first episode of Survivor Amazon, I do "feel" her. Been in her shoes myself, but she'll survive somehow by being little bit more assertive and outgoing. I think the way the show are being edited gave us a picture that she's being passive and difficult to work with, but who know later on, she'll turn around and go all the way, hopefully to the final four. I do hope that the viewers are aware that Christy's portrayal on that show do not make them think all Deaf are like that. She's there for herself and I'm rooting for her whether she's whining or suck it up and go for it.
    Huh? Oh, you talkin' to me? Sorry, I didn't hear you.

I'm also rooting for Christy, and I'm sure she will adapt quickly to her surroundings. It's a good thing that she has only shown her frustrations during the confessionals, or that could be perceived as a weakness by the other girls. Like other people have mentioned, her shy personality seems to be more of a hindrance at this point that her deafness. I doubt that people will think that all deaf people will act like Christy.

BTW, and welcome DeafChulo.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I am shocked at the lack of attention/respect paid to Christy. In the early stage of this game, she is being completely ignored. That strikes me as really dangerous. I can't imagine going off and acting like she doesn't really exist. She has many strengths. I just hope that the women realize that she very well may have a lot to offer. They seem to be expecting her to adjust to them.........and she has told them what she needs to work with them. I don't think they have given any consideration to including her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread