+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

Danielle and Lisa used ASL to communicate very effectively during Big Brother last summer.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The JHF Haus
    lol, when i was in 8th grade (during my education years i learned CUE speech where i understand the vowels to pronounce the words right and talk in sentences ..... in one breath ANYWAY... in 8th grade we were doing a spelling test ( i was in mainstream school and only deaf kid in english) my interpreters were not experienced with all of the big long words and cannot make up a sign for it so they were to cue the word out... and i ace the spelling test i just know the vowels and how it was pronounced hence i spelt the word right hahahaha *evil laughter*

Alright in my next post is an email with i think 5 different entries i got from a friend that got from another chat board and it has to do with Christy. Thought you guys would be interested .......

~JF

The JHF Haus
    TommyGirl
    Member posted 02-14-2003 06:27 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure if this was something well known (spoiler wise) but I was very surprised to find out they have a deaf person on the womens tribe. It also would appear she might be already be having some communication problems with her tribe
    What do you all all think, could this work?
    Some of the challenges move very quickly and require spot on communication. I hope the women realize this and don't just leave her hanging.

IP: 209.9.186.90

Icefaerie
    Member posted 02-14-2003 07:01 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi TG
    Yes! The women need to try to communicate with her. However, that being said, I didn't appreciate Christy's "woe is me, I'm deaf, this is what I go through everyday, why won't hearing people give me a chance" crap.

Christy, you auditioned for Survivor, did you think it was going to be easier than your everyday normal routines? Get off your butt and get involved. Force the other women to include you....go along for the ride dear.....make them accept you.

I have worked with several skaters with hearing loss of varying degrees. Yes I had to learn sign language to make my job easier but most of the children I taught and teach can also read lips. It really is not very difficult to communicate in any way with the deaf.

I noticed in last night's challenge that Christy and her partner were the first women across the balance beam.

IP: 66.127.13.186

Anna
    Junior Member posted 02-14-2003 07:11 AM
    I posted my thoughts on Christy on the Have any favorites post. I totally agree with you Icefaerie. I think she put herself in this situation, with her life experience, she had to have some idea what she would be up against. I don't like people who play the "victim". If I were one of the other girls on the tribe, I would be a bit resentful of her crying to the cameras the very first night. It would harden me against her, where if she weren't TRYING to get everyone's sympathy - I would be more apt to feel bad for her and try to help her.

[This message has been edited by Anna (edited 02-14-2003).]

IP: 209.241.130.165

puggy
    Member posted 02-14-2003 09:06 AM
    Christy should make sure that she is included. Instead of just standing there not knowing what is going on when everyone walked off, go up to someone and ASK what is going on. She can't sit around and wait to be included. Go for it, girl!

The JHF Haus
    Ya know what, i think it'll be fun to see Survivors show make all the contestants wear heavy ear plugs all day and no cheating. That will teach them how to survive in the wildness depending on their vision, feeling, guts, and body usage hence communication etc. Suppose a bug creep into the ear and busted the ear drum..... and the person is stranded sooo...

Horrific though?? nah hehe

~JF

FORT Fogey
    Ohhh that is horrific,, I do know someone who had a beetle fly in their ear and he thought he would go crazy till they got it out!

The JHF Haus
    *chuckles*

Suppose a bug creep into the ear and busted the ear drum..... and the person is stranded sooo...
    Eeeewwwwww! Jaymee, what an awful thought! You have me brushing myself off and shaking my hair out, checking for bugs!
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

The JHF Haus
    *laughs* well thats Amazon life. dont let your (to everyone) imagination go amock *hugs usm*

Originally posted by BravoFan
    Joanna was terribly rude...but I really don't like Christy's personality either....
    I can't really say I'm a fan of Christy's at this point either.
    I still think I would rather spend a day with her than a minute with Joanna though.

Sam I am

had a lot of catching up to do

Hello all!
    I have not been able to get to a computer and read up on all the happenings until today! Boy o boy did I have lots to read.
    I will try to make my comments brief:

First, Christy is holding her own. When she worked here at the 'hearing' camp like enviornment, she had a hard time fitting in. Once she made an ally or two, she was good to go. In fact I was one of those people. And we did do a challenge where she was blindfolded. I signed into her hand and spoke loudly into her one ear. She did great!

I would be surprised if she does not start teaching the others some sign. even simple stuff. But they will have to make more of an effort to be interested first.

I know Christy... she is not one to milk that 'pity me' stuff. I have a feeling the editors are doing a lot of that. I know she gets emotional sometimes, and that could be a disadvantage, but overall she is pretty laid back and easy going.

We will have to see.
    -Sam I am

p.s. i should be able to scan some other pics of her in by the end of this week when i have access to a scanner. I will post them then!
    "No day but today!"

+ Reply to Thread