Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

Hi Jaymee, very interesting post.

Welcome to the site .
    "That's Numberwang!"

The JHF Haus
    *chuckles* thanks Fluff *winks*

~JF

kaj
    Hi, I am new here and this is my first post. I think Christy is pretty much under pressure. Not only from her tribemates but also from herself. She's trying to fit it, but communication is her main problem.

Welcome Kaj and Jaymee.

I think Christy's doing the right thing, asking another tribemate for the outline of what's being discussed at night when she can't read lips - that helps keep her in the loop, if not involved. The problem with that is she's getting one side of the discussion, and it may be unfairly twisted to make her not like or like someone that she shouldn't.

that's an excellent point John. If she asks the "wrong" person things could be bad for her. I guess she had to go with her gut on who to ask. Not always an easy thing when "playing" this game, as people are not always what or who they seem to be.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    Hi Jaymee,,

I think your post is a great addition especially coming from someone in the deaf community. It is hard to think what I would do since I am not deaf, but it is great to hear what another deaf person would do and how you would react.
    I would like to think I would do what your post says. I am just wondering if with the obvious sort of leaving her out, if she isn't also taking it to the next level. I don't know her personality but I know I am a strong person and I would just be bold enough to say hey yall I am having a hard time w/not knowing all that is going on. I am thinking that under the current conditions most of the women are pretty selfish as a force of surviving,, so they are probably not thinking about her at all. Not to be insensitive but merely as they have many other things on their minds. And not being used to having to remember to always face her or speak directly to her I am sure they easily forget. On the other hand I think there are some wildly bitchy women there who given different circumstances would be just as inconsiderate.

I am rooting for Christy and I am hoping she adapts and makes those women tell her what she misses and like you said uses the night time to rest and recoup. Also, I hope she picks someone to catch her up on any discussions that might be important at night. It is unfortunate that she has to make her own way but I sure hope she does. She seems like a really sensitive girl and that may be hurting her a little.

I am doing the "shadow" report each week on Christy and in the beginning I requested that I get her. I am really looking forward to how she gets through and also I think it is sort of interesting to see how it brings out other personalities in the other tribe mates. For instance Joanna, geeze it sure showed a real nasty streak in her.

If you have any interesting comments or insight I would definately welcome it, and feel free to post here or PM me!
    Have a great time at the FORT!

I am wondering if you know if Christy signs as well. I am fluent in sign and I think it would be kind of interesting if Christy were to offer maybe to teach some of the women some sign. I know a large portion of the hearing world finds it fascinating and is always interested in learning. It might be a way to connect with the others and be sort of fun too. Just a thought!

I am interested to know as deaf person what you thought about the whole "hand in the face" incident? Was it just offensive or even more offensive because of Christies deafness. If that had been you what would have been your reaction?
    Thanks for posting!

I really enjoyed your insight!

I am wondering if you know if Christy signs as well. I am fluent in sign and I think it would be kind of interesting if Christy were to offer maybe to teach some of the women some sign. I know a large portion of the hearing world finds it fascinating and is always interested in learning. It might be a way to connect with the others and be sort of fun too. Just a thought!
    You know, firegirl, that's a darn good point! If they were smart, the women could have Christy teach them certain signing moves, so they could communicate together after the merge (or even during some challenges) without seeming like they were communicating. (If you get my drift). It could be an ENORMOUS advantage.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

I learned the ASL alphabet in 7th grade, and it was how my best friend managed to pass English

(it's good for cheating, if you've got a not-so-aware teacher, and John can sign you the correct spelling of words on tests)

I learned the ASL alphabet in 7th grade, and it was how my best friend managed to pass English
    Oh my goodness, I just realized that I learned the ASL alphabet back then too. Let me see, uh....A, B, C, Nope, i can't remember D. Too, funny, John! But, (head held high) I NEVER used it to cheat! .
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

Hehe, the ASL alphabet also works well for multiple choice tests.

+ Reply to Thread