+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

I agree, phroshay, but it is up to the person being excluded to make sure they get included, and Christy has not yet done that, from what we've been shown. I don't blame the other 7 ladies for not making more of an effort to work with her, I blame her so far for not making sure the other 7 ladies do what needs to be done for her to be part of the group.

I think she might step up this week. At least I hope so.

I think Christy is doing better than we think. I think they're editing her to look weak at the beginning, but if you look at what we've seen - Christy was up front with the other women about being deaf. We saw one confessional where she was breaking down - but that could have been just a one time weakness. (And, we ALL have those) Janet's moment of weakness was much worse - I though she was gonna keel over. Then we see Christy watching the other women walk away without saying something to her; well, that was rude or at least thoughtless, but the women don't have a leader yet, so they're very disorganized and not working together.

Then we see her eating the minnow with the rest of the tribe.

Next we see Christy holding her own at the IC and high fiving Jenna (of all people) and then walking away arm in arm with the other young gals.

The vid caps from the next show show a smiling Christy at the IC.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised at how well she's done when we tune in this week.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

Originally posted by USMCmum
    I think Christy is doing better than we think. I think they're editing her to look weak at the beginning
    I don't doubt that one bit. We have only seen Christy break down during confessionals.

Telling the rest of the team upfront that she is deaf was a necessity. It would've been pretty hard for Christy try to keep that under wraps. She does seem to be adapting well, though. There had to be pretty good communications between her and the rest of the team to get through the IC challenge. Right now, Janet seems to be the weakest one of the group.

FORT Newbie
    Hey everyone, this is my first post, so bear with me!!

I just had to say something about Christy. My brother went to Galluadet with her. They are friends, though I have never met her. It's killing me how some people have reacted to her on the show. I guess having grown up with a deaf sibling, I am used to it, because it is normal. She is an amazing lip reader, and that could totally work to the tribe's advantage. If the men don't figure it out right away, they could be whispering and not know she can tell what they are saying. Maybe that wil help, you think? I don't think the others have taken into account that her differences are not necessarily a hindrance.

Not quite sure how it will work, but if/when the tribes do merge at some point, and it becomes everyone for themselves......
    Well then, I can definitely see one of the women telling on her and giving up her secret to the men.

Oh dear.....Christy, Christy, Christy. What am I gonna do with you girl? First of all - props for standing up to Joanna.

But, try to get along a little better with the others, ok? Do NOT accuse the lazy wenches of not working!

And, for heaven's sake, don't you realize that Jenna is just admiring you from afar? Oh, all right - kick the pusillanimous puke's patootie.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

I think Christy should make a point of saying things to Jenna whenever possible. You know, stuff like "Hi Jenna, did you sleep well? How are you doing today? Wow, that water looks like it's excellent - good job!"

If she's phony-friendly with Jenna, it'll just make Jenna even more funny.

Christy has committed the cardinal sin of Survivor - She forgot that lazy people resent being told they're lazy. I hope it doesn't come back to bite her.

Exactly John.
    The lazy people are always the ones that feel they're the most hard done by too.

It seems that Christy and Jenna are at a complete breakdown at the moment.
    Hopefully they can get back on course for the sake of the tribe.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Whatever Chisty did or said that made Joanna so angry (she might have had a legitimate reason for her anger) I felt bad for Chrtisty that Joanna was in her face like that.
    I would have felt bad for anyone in that situation.
    Joanna seemed very aggressive.
    Last edited by fluff; 02-21-2003 at 09:32 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The thing that stood out for me during the altercation was when Joanna gave Christy "the hand". Of course her intention was to show her dissatisfaction, but in truth it completely defeated the purpose of speaking: if Christy could not see anything besides Joanna's hand, she could not know what Joanna was trying to communicate. It seemed somewhat self-defeating.

That being said, I still believe Christy made poor choices. While I can empathize that she felt ostracized from the group, especially at night, I cannot condone this "mean world syndrome" (a term my friends and I have coined for people who seem to believe the whole world is out to get them). Yes, it is more challenging for her than for the others. Yes, they could be making far more of an effort than they have been. Nonetheless, she too could be making an effort to compromise.

Survivor, as is life, is a card game. You can choose to play with the cards you have been dealt within the confines of the game, or you can choose to rip up your cards, toss them up in the air, and attempt to turn the table over. Last time I checked, that still didn't beat a pair in poker.
    Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.

Click here

+ Reply to Thread