+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survivor: Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous;1002189;
    He'll come to Canada but he won't allow Canadians to participate?
    Look at it this way. They just held a season in Fiji and no Fijians were allowed to compete. They've held a number of seasons in Panama, and there's never been a Panamanian contestant.

Also, I don't know why he'd choose Canada as a possible location for a season. In all honesty, the climate here isn't that much different than in America, especially if he isn't planning on having a season in the winter. I'm sure he isn't running out of "exotic" places to hold a season. I mean, I think it's kind of neat that he'd consider coming up here, but not if he won't even let us audition. That's kind of insulting actually (not that I'm even old enough to audition mind you, but that isn't really the point).
    I think the main point is that the show, while it airs in Canada, is primarily produced for a U.S. audience. The base assumption here is that the American audience wants to see some place they don't live. Of course in some ways that's silly, since Kansas isn't much like California, Washington isn't much like Georgia, New Mexico isn't much like Maine, etc., but its just a generalization.

But this isn't really going to happen anyway, I think.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

The funny thing is, Survivor has consistently been the #1 rated show in Canada, and TAR is right up there as well. We Canadians love our MB reality shows apparently! The big problem is that our population is so much smaller than the US. So even though a huge chunk of the Canadian tv-watching audience is tuning in to Survivor week after week, it's still a pretty small demographic compared to the US-audience. I doubt Burnett would go to any great lengths to please Canadians, although I'm sure he appreciates our support.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2262713;
    The funny thing is, Survivor has consistently been the #1 rated show in Canada, and TAR is right up there as well. We Canadians love our MB reality shows apparently! The big problem is that our population is so much smaller than the US. So even though a huge chunk of the Canadian tv-watching audience is tuning in to Survivor week after week, it's still a pretty small demographic compared to the US-audience. I doubt Burnett would go to any great lengths to please Canadians, although I'm sure he appreciates our support.
    I get why it would never happen but considering we are such huge supporters of the show and it's highly unlikely we'd ever get our own version, why couldn't they open it to Canadians? They've already had one "Canadian" compete on Survivor (and get booted over beef jerky of all things) and it's not like we're asking for a full Canadian cast - just the chance to participate.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    And at least it would be a non-Californian!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2274102;
    And at least it would be a non-Californian!
    What a great idea no Californians (includes just living there for a couple of yrs) allowed in the next Survivor. How original. No people with plastic parts that are only esthetic in nature.

Still that $100 audition fee sounds like a scam. I mean can you imagine going to say American Idol paying $100 to get in only to have casting directors not even think you are good enough to see the judges. There would be bloody riots.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by John;1002211;
    Well, because his contracts are with Americans, using the American legal system. Even though our friends to the north are close, speak the same language, and great people, the fact remains that they are a different country, and have a completely different legal system, and the whole basis of the contestant contracts would have to be re-written to be enforceable.
    Also the contestants would be seen in a similar light as being "employees". Burnett would have to go through more paperwork for sponsorship and other legalities in employing a foreign worker.

Could you imagine the TAXATION from the winnings!?!?!? The US would have to its cut and Canada would want its cut as well!

too much of a headache for me!

You guys have to be crazy if you think that Survivor will be coming to Canada...not gonna happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;2274446;
    Also the contestants would be seen in a similar light as being "employees". Burnett would have to go through more paperwork for sponsorship and other legalities in employing a foreign worker.

Could you imagine the TAXATION from the winnings!?!?!? The US would have to its cut and Canada would want its cut as well!

too much of a headache for me!
    Actually any prize money won in Canada is tax-free!! So one million won by a Canadian would mean they get to keep all of it! If any tax is withheld when a Canadian wins a prize in the US, they can then apply to get the money back by filling out the proper forms after they get back home. That's one advantage of being Canadian over American.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123