+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *Debate* Is Survivor really just a game?

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    Wow. Thanks. Whenever I feel I have to explain why I watch Survivor and why it is interesting to me... well, do you mind if I quote this?
    Quote Away!

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I find it especially interesting how individuals are willing to distort their attitudes, likes and dislikes, and morals all in the name of the game.
    As some have said here, HOW someone does this, or whether they even can plays a pretty big role in the game. As a player, knowing where other players lie on this is a huge advantage. [Think Rich allying with Rudy in S1... talk about picking a loyal soldier!].
    Late to the Posting Party, but here all along.

I think that is a very good description of the game Old Soul.

I remember being drawn to the game in S1 thanks to sitting there wondering if the others could figure out just how badly Rich was manipulating them. Yes it was the first game, so many of the folks there were clueless, but when it comes out of DVD, those of you who haven't seen it, make sure you do. It was an amazing display of people skills by an amazingly arrogant guy.

In them days, Rich was evil and a villian. Now he is almost loved after ASS, and I think it is because he plays it as a game, and makes no apologies for it. Brian did the same thing. I think Rob would have pulled out the vote if he had done the same thing in his jury questions.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Rob as Kathy said is really too concerned in how others were going to preceive him after the game. That's why he lost. or maybe just the jury were too emotional

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    The jury was just too emotional, that's clear as day. Several of them let their emotion cloud their judgment. Of all that voted for Amber, only one voted with a clear head - Shii Ann - because she felt that Amber was in control of Rob. If, as Rob and Amber stated in other interviews, it really was really equal in decisionmaking between them, then props to Amber for taking the subtle route to the win. Too bad several others can't see that it's just a game, after which they should be able to be friends.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    The jury was just too emotional, that's clear as day. Several of them let their emotion cloud their judgment. Of all that voted for Amber, only one voted with a clear head - Shii Ann - because she felt that Amber was in control of Rob. If, as Rob and Amber stated in other interviews, it really was really equal in decisionmaking between them, then props to Amber for taking the subtle route to the win. Too bad several others can't see that it's just a game, after which they should be able to be friends.
    I don't think Shii Ann voted unemotionally. She was pretty emotional about Amber in her final words, 'most beautiful .. had big green eyes ...'

The only reason, I believe, Shii Ann voted for her was their style of play was very similar. "One she-devil to another ..."

.... and I can imagine if they had swapped positions (Shii Ann in Chapera, Amber on MM), Shii Ann would have played not much differently to how Amber did (minus the romance factor), and Amber would have played like Shii Ann did.

There's not alot to that kind of UTR play - you are basically placing your fate in someone else's hands.

Shii Ann's 'glasshouse' comment can be seen as a statement defending her own play in response to Lex's criticisms in his speech. Rob wasn't the only one who backstabbed Lex, Shii Ann did too.
    Rob: "I was trying to appeal to their emotions. I was trying to make them see I was affected as well. To be honest with you, those were tears of sorrow, because I think I realized that I wasn’t going to win "

Actually it's not a game, it's an entertainment show produced scripted and directed by MB. Hell, he can even bring Jon's 'dead' grandmother onto the show to play the 'game' with the Survivors (he DID bring back the Outcasts) -- and there's not a THING the players can do about it.
    Rob: "I was trying to appeal to their emotions. I was trying to make them see I was affected as well. To be honest with you, those were tears of sorrow, because I think I realized that I wasn’t going to win "

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Q: Is Survivor really just a game?
    A: Yes
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

eny
    FORT Fogey
    It's not that deep. Yes it's a game . It's a time / proximity situation that creates the drama. Were you to play that game out in a very short period there wouldn't be half the emotional involvment.

Reality Fanatic
    Survivor IS a game..outwit, outlast, outplay. Those players that let emotions take them over, are no longer playing the game. ASS was very different, as people have said, they came in as friends....that threw a wrench into the mix.

btw This is my first post

to the FORT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast