+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *Debate* Is Survivor really just a game?

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    It is a complex game, but a game nonetheless. Some people will treat it as something bigger than a game, but that's part of the game too.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by tofujoe
    I may be twistinterpreting your post here but....

Your conduct in this game can and WILL be held against you at final tribal council. This has played a role in every season. It's what makes this game so fascinating. It's not just simple physical and mental puzzle solving. You have to solve the puzzle of your tribemates. If the final 9 are all about game play and win-at-all-costs, then you will have to play that way. If the final 9 are all about honesty and integrity, you had better lean that way if you want a chance at the million.

I only meant that contestants are not legally liable for dishonesty in the game. Sure, I agree there are consquences at TC for their conduct.

I apologize if I was unclear.
    The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Its basically a game, but from what you said at the start of this thread... alot of that happens in the work place too and thats a part of life. Taking that into account, its hard to say, though you know the game ends in 39 days but work goes on till you quit or get kicked out and that can take longer than 39 days, and your level of comfort is defined by your salary, the game has just one level of comfort... miserable.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

It is a game and Kathy and Lex believed that too. Right up until they found out they had miscalculated ... then it wasn't one anymore.
    Rob: "I was trying to appeal to their emotions. I was trying to make them see I was affected as well. To be honest with you, those were tears of sorrow, because I think I realized that I wasn’t going to win "

I don't care if I went in with my parents and friends, it is still just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp_nh
    Game! (?)

I suppose it depends on the definition of a game (vs. sport, vs. television event, vs. whatever). If you're comparing "game vs. real life," then it's just a game
    (who goes away to exotic locales for a month!?). If you're comparing it to "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," then it's ... well, actually it's still a game, just with different rules.
    Never mind.
    <---timidly looking down at his feet> Well,... uhm..., I... actually was lucky enough to spend all of last January in a simple thatched roof hut on a beautiful, remote, turqoise little beach on the southeastern coast of Mexico.

It didn't suck. Remote enough to be clothing optional, so let's just say laundry wasn't a problem. Yep...a simple month, but I had plenty to do....

I wish I was there now.
    Late to the Posting Party, but here all along.

Oh... and yeah. I also think it's a game, albeit a complex one. If I were playing, it would be hard for me to separate myself [my emotions and morals, etc] enough to do well. I don't like deception and hate lazy people... even if that's part of the game. I suck at bluffing in poker, too. I'm much better in making relationships work, so that might be an advantage for that aspect of it.

From the perspective of my couch, Survivor can give more insight than a game of checkers, though. In the microcosmic societies they set up, one can garnish a bit of wisdom with the right perspective. It's like people-watching on steroids. What makes a leader effective? How can you persuade effectively? What can a single negative attitude do to a group? How is a lazy person perceived as opposed to a productive one? How do men and women approach problems differently?... well, the list goes on.

I'm not saying I take it all that seriously, it IS just a game, but from the perspective of a viewer, I think in certain ways it can stimulate some insightful thinking. Ie., philosophy, communication, politics, relationships, psychology...and a host of other thought. OR... it could be just a game. It depends what I'm doing on my couch.
    Late to the Posting Party, but here all along.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSoul

From the perspective of my couch, Survivor can give more insight than a game of checkers, though. In the microcosmic societies they set up, one can garnish a bit of wisdom with the right perspective. It's like people-watching on steroids. What makes a leader effective? How can you persuade effectively? What can a single negative attitude do to a group? How is a lazy person perceived as opposed to a productive one? How do men and women approach problems differently?... well, the list goes on.

I'm not saying I take it all that seriously, it IS just a game, but from the perspective of a viewer, I think in certain ways it can stimulate some insightful thinking. Ie., philosophy, communication, politics, relationships, psychology...and a host of other thought. OR... it could be just a game. It depends what I'm doing on my couch.
    Wow. Thanks. Whenever I feel I have to explain why I watch Survivor and why it is interesting to me... well, do you mind if I quote this?

"It's like people-watching on steriods" Love that.
    I find it especially interesting how individuals are willing to distort their attitudes, likes and dislikes, and morals all in the name of the game. And, in the end, it doesn't need to be taken too seriously, (unlike A.I. :rolleyes ). It can be simply entertaining.

Survivor is a game, but the characters are cast because the producers can see that they will have some conflict of interest. Out of all the applications they receive they only choose those 16 people because they fit the mold that will give us good tv, or should give us good tv. Each of the characters has their certain points that will cause conflict in a way, on paper at least, and the producers make sure to put those individuals together to get something going. They can't tell what will happen but an eduacated guess will give a good idea of what will make good entertainment. This doesn't always work but then again not all recipes work perfect every time either. Survivor has a blue print that it follows and each season different people of the same type are cast into their respective role to entertain us.

I must agree with touque, it is a game, but it's actually the three games in one with the mental, physical, and relationship games all blended together. (very nice post by the way, it really summed things up nicely)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    alot of that happens in the work place too and thats a part of life. Taking that into account, its hard to say, though you know the game ends in 39 days but work goes on till you quit or get kicked out and that can take longer than 39 days, and your level of comfort is defined by your salary
    That was the other thing I was thinking about, it's not much different from work (especially in a management or supervisor position). Saying that, I know that I personally would have problems separating the relationship factor from the game...I already have trouble enough with that being in the workplace 40 hours a week with my employees, much less being in the full on all engrossing society that Survivor is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast