+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Pelican Pete Report (Episode 6) - Is Everyone Going to Quit the Game?

Are the women really smart,Suxie,or are the just going along for the ride? And if they are just going along for the ride, is that really a strategy?

I don't think that stronger players = men. I think that Survivor is one show where women have been shown to be power players. I think Kathy could be an exceptional player in this game,as could Jerri and Alicia. The key is to figure out a way to control the tribe without them knowing that you are really doing it. I think Deena (Amazon) could have been perfect at this had her mouth not gotten in the way. Tina seemed to handle the tribe in Australia without winning any immunities using Colby (although I still am not sure if he figured this out)to get to end. Make no mistakes about it, she was determining the order of eliminations on that show.

The men for some reason,just seem to be better at controlling without looking like they are. Rob Mariano is good at this, Rob C. excelled at it in the Amazon and Brian Heidik is the master of this type of gameplay.

I agree with you, Colby should have kept his mouth shut and not said a word to Shii-Ann; I believe it will come back to bite him.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX

However, the departure of Sue has accelerated a problem for Rob. That being, what to do about the next vote? I think Sue was assumed by all to be going, but now, if there is no merge, Rob will have to show his cards should Chapera lose an immunity challenge. If he votes out Alicia or Tom, then the other will be alert to the alliance, and can point out that Rob has been manipulating everyone throughout the game, and try to turn the tribe against him. If he votes out Rupert or Jenna, then the surviving partner can inform Alicia and Tom of Robís little secret alliance game. For all of this to work, Rob needs a merge, or he needs Chapera to win challenges. Itís a risky strategy, but the upside is huge, and could ensure he goes far into the game.
    Wow.. I never thought of that. Nice job Bill!!! You really know these players and the game.. you should try out! I bow in your general direction-

[QUOTE=mrcorkles]Are the women really smart,Suxie,or are the just going along for the ride? And if they are just going along for the ride, is that really a strategy?Quote

Going along for the ride is a strategy as long as you are not voted off. Why not go along for the ride if people think you are not a threat? Should you do something to make people believe you are a threat? Of course not!

The master (mistress?) of this strategy was Sandra, whose mantra was "I'll vote for anyone, as long as it isn't me." And she won!! The "stronger" power players--Rupert, Burton, Jon--fell off one by one as Sandra prevailed.

I didn't hold this opinion for the first few episodes but I have come around to believe that players such as Vecepia, Tina, and Jenna were good at the game. I have come to appreciate all the women who have won. Over and over again, people talk about an "alliance of the strong" and they mean men. But the game has demonstrated that the "weak", i.e. women, will most likely win if they let the Alpha males destroy each other. Go Kathy, Alicia, Jerri, and Shii Ann!! Oh and one word for adorable Ethan. Please let him be the last man standing.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Suxie
    Over and over again, people talk about an "alliance of the strong" and they mean men.
    I find it interesting you make that assumption. Certainly does not apply to my opinion.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fogey
    Instead, the Mogoís are heading down the familiar path of games past, and it will only make them Pagong fodder for the Chaperaís.
    I don't think there'd be Pagonging because everyone knows each other. There should be alliance switching by the minute. If there wasn't Pagonging in S6 or S7, why would there be in AS? At least I hope not, cuz that just would be really sucky.

Jenna remains convinced she is good at this game. Clearly she is eating the same tainted fruit that clouds Shii Annís thinking.

Good analysis! You're so right about Colby, and about the Lex/Colby/Ethan alliance, they really should stick together! Will they? I'm sure they won't.

Good points about Rob. I don't see him winning though. I don't see how he could, but we'll see. He does indeed have a risky strategy.

[QUOTE]I continue to hope that someday, the stronger players will realize that an alliance of Ethan, Lex, and Colby is far stronger than one of Jerri, Kathy, and Shii Ann,[QUOTE]

I rest my case.

Namaste.

Which part of that statement is not true?

Oh, and I did note throughout that I admire Kathy's play. Frankly, Jerri and Shii Ann are worthless. That has nothing to do with them being "women" but everything to do with their performance in the game.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

FORT Fogey
    Well, Suxie, they ARE stronger. Any alliance with Shii Ann in it is weak. I just wish Ethan/Lex/Colby would stick together cuz I like them all so much and wish they'd be the F3. Never will happen...only in my imagination. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Which part of that statement is not true?

Oh, and I did note throughout that I admire Kathy's play. Frankly, Jerri and Shii Ann are worthless. That has nothing to do with them being "women" but everything to do with their performance in the game.

I know you have admired Kathy throughout. But as to whether any part of your statement is "true", or not, all of us are voicing opinions here. As to whether Colby, Lex, and Ethan are stronger than Kathy, Jerri, and Shii Ann, it depends upon one's point of view. Men are physically stronger, in most cases (not all.) In some cases (again, not all) women are better at "reading" people, understanding, and observing them. I have seen it over and over again professionally in my career. So who is the "stronger" player for Survivor purposes?

And why do you think Jerri and Shii Ann are worthless? I totally disagree with you. Is it because they are not out catching fish? Elsewhere on this site, numerous people have said that providing food is not important in the total scheme of things. Is it because they do not win challenges for their tribes? Well, actually Jerri did win in episode 3 or 4, I think. And people have won the game of Survivor without winning a single immunity challenge (Tina, Sandra.)

Jerri and Shii Ann are not worthless. They are valuable players, who may yet vanquish Colby, Lex, Rob, and (sob) Ethan.

Namaste.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Obviously this is all opinion However, I don't mind noting that when someone claims incorrectly to know what I am saying ("I rest my case") or what my opinion is, then I certainly feel I can correct that, as what I know about my own thoughts is not opinion at all.

I think Jerri and Shii Ann are worthless from a playing the game perspective. I respect that you disagree with that. I am not focusing on physical strength as you appear to be. My apologies if I read that wrong.

I am focusing on the reality that they are blindly waiting for Kathy to tell them what to do, and while Shii Ann talks a good game, she has never actually succeeded in any plan, and rarely participates in challenges. When does participate, she sucks. I think Jerri is not the challenge star you may be implying she is, and again, challenges are just one part of the equation.

They may indeed outlast Colby and likely Ethan too. But they will be following Kathy and/or Lex in doing so, and not even considering the idea that maybe they should take control of their own destinies. That's not vanquishing anyone in my book. That is simply playing no better than Darrah did.

For Jerri, her only goal seems to be to outlast razorboy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast