+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Do You have any sympathy to "quitters"?

Bayolip, you bring up a point that gets overlooked, and I agree with. The Cameras.
    When you are stressed and emotional, people sticking a friggin camera in your face does not make it any easier.

A Survivor Beach is not a good place to withdraw and recover.

I do feel pity for Sue because I think she is lacking in some important life skills -- specifically the ability to maintain perspective and not spin out of control with feelings of being wronged, betrayed, violated. For all her tough talk, I think she sees herself as a victim and lashes out in frustration. Her impassioned speech in S1 seemed way out of proportion to what happened. She seemed truly angry and forgetting that Kelly was playing the game too. The incident with Hatch would have been upsetting to a lot of people, but again Sue's emotions spun out of control. She seemed unable to recognize her role in it, use a sympathic ear to "talk it out" and regain perspective, and realize that the best revenge is to not let other people have too much power over your own feelings and experience. For this reason I feel sorry for her and would hate to accidently cut her off on the freeway.

I don't sympathize with her decision to leave the game, shortchanging her tribemates and wasting a spot other contestants could have used better.

I don't have much sympathy for Osten or Shawna who is a quitter in my book.

I don't know enough of the specifics of Jenna's mother's condition at different points in time to have an opinion about her. What was her condition when Jenna agreed to participate vs when it was time to depart? Was Jenna slipped some information from the crew? Had she had many periods of remission and relapse during the many years she was ill? Too many questions to offer much else than condolences.
    Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck
    I don't sympathize with her decision to leave the game, shortchanging her tribemates and wasting a spot other contestants could have used better.
    You're obviously not the only person to have this belief, but I had to quote somebody. Okay, I disagree whole-heartedly with a statement like this. I can see saying that about Jenna. Her mother had been sick, and they were taking a calculated risk by her going on the show.

But, no one could have predicted that Sue and Rich were going to be on opposite tribes for this one particular challenge and that Rich was going to constantly be getting naked and that the two of them would be at the same place at that one particular challenge and that Richard would be so immature as to sexually violate Sue. That's not something that crosses your mind when considering a contestant.

Sue, whether you like her or not, was one of the more obvious choices for this show. When I first told people about ASS, people were like "Oh, I bet your girl Sue's gonna be back for that one" because she is one of the more remembered contestants and then her "snakes and rats" speech put her in the Survivor Record Books.

She earned her spot on the show, unlike say, Amber or Jenna L. Their spots could have been better spent. It strikes me as odd, also, how most of you were like "Oh, Sue's not gonna last long at all." Well, if you're so sure she wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway, why was it a waste for her to quit? Personally, I think she could have gone pretty far. She had an alliance with Alicia (said so in her interview) and they could have brought in Shii Ann at the merge.

And also, had Sue not been there, and even had she not quit, there would have been a lot less drama right about now. We've had like 3 or 4 threads on what happened, and a whole lot of lively discussion. That's what CBS wants: DRAMA! They got it with Sue. She was gonna cause whether she stayed or went. Her quitting just gave everyone that much more to talk about.

I rest my case.

I don't think Sue would have survived the next TC, and while she might have had Alicia's vote, they would have lost with everyone else aligning with Rahb.

Just my opinion though.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    I don't think Sue would have survived the next TC, and while she might have had Alicia's vote, they would have lost with everyone else aligning with Rahb.

Just my opinion though.
    I think Sue would have won the show if MB hadn't stepped in. She was the only one who drank the island water unheated and was full of energy while everyone was dehydrated and depleted of energy. (What did they expect to find on the island? Bottled water?) Even Tom said he would miss her hard work around the camp. If MB had left things alone and hadn't rescued them, Sue would have been the sole Survivor and the game would have been over by the third episode at the most.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gher
    I think Sue would have won the show if MB hadn't stepped in. She was the only one who drank the island water unheated and was full of energy while everyone was dehydrated and depleted of energy. (What did they expect to find on the island? Bottled water?) Even Tom said he would miss her hard work around the camp. If MB had left things alone and hadn't rescued them, Sue would have been the sole Survivor and the game would have been over by the third episode at the most.
    Huh? She was playing HORRIBLY! Just because you help around camp doesn't mean you deserve to win. Rupert from last season should strike a bell. Sue wasn't gonna win. She'd have been lucky to make the merge.

I do have sympathy for "some" quitters. Depends on the situation. There are certain times when one just has to say "fu_k it and quit. Hell, I'm not a cold-hearted bastard anymore.

FORT Newbie
    I have sympathy for Jenna, or any person who loses a family member to cancer...

Did she make a mistake by coming on the show? Sure. However, everyone makes mistakes. IMO realizing that mistake and getting the hell out of there to spend a few final days with her mother, was far more important than sticking it out in the interest of the game. Afterall, in the end Survivor is just a game what Jenna was facing was truly a matter of life and death.

Now Sue... That is different, Hatch had left... This stuff about what would her husband think? :rolleyes I turned to my wife and said why would her husband be mad at her, especially after seeing it on t.v. How the hell could that possibly be misconstrued by her husband as her being unfaithful? I think Sue simply went off the deep end out there.

No, I don't have any pity for Jenna at all for quitting the show when she had no place for being there in the first place. On reviewing that episode, I could see her playing up to the cameras when she got all teary-eyed at the RC when she wasn't before while kind of looking out the corner of her eyes to see what the others' reaction was, the sideways glance that I saw alot of in Amazon. And when Alicia spoke up about how she would never have come on in the first place and Kathy speaking up saying to Alicia to shut up as Jenna already had acknowledged her mistake -- I think because what did Jenna say in her interview post-show: - would she appear in Survivor again? In a heartbeat! No, I don't think she's learnt her lesson at all.

Osten I am neutral on, because I think he wasn't cut out for this game. He realized it, and instead of quitting when it might have placed his alliance at a disadvantage he hung on until they faced TC and one of them had to go. At least he faced TC. Shawna is in the same boat as far as I'm concerned and Osten is no worse than Shawna.

Sue's personal dignity was violated in this game and I don't blame her for leaving at all. Sometimes preserving your dignity as a human being is more important than being in a game on television and her departure made a statement to that effect.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Osten: No. No sympathy.

Jenna: No. No sympathy. She quit cause she realized that she hated the game, bugs, cameras, IC's, TC's and everything else about it..and decided to spend time with her mother afterthefact.*

Sue: No. No sympathy. I'm sure she's had worse things "touch" her.

The only one that I sympathize with in regards to Survivor and THE GAME.. is Michael. I'm pretty sure his name was Michael..the one who passed out in the fire and had to be helicoptered outta there. THAT was sad and I felt awful for the poor guy!!! He was in pain. He gets ALL of my "push through the pain" votes. Everyone else.. no.

*Regarding the loss of her mother, I have sympathy for her and her family. But this has NOTHING to do with Survivor--the game.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456