+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preparation - or how hard is it to practice lighting a fire?

FORT Regular

Preparation - or how hard is it to practice lighting a fire?

One thing that struck me the most during this episode was how little survival skills these Survivors have. It's not the first time they've been on but nobody (except maybe Richard) seems to have studied up on the basics like: how to start a fire, practicing starting a fire, reading enough about parasites to know not to drink unpurified water. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I'm not saying it's easy to create a fire, especially in a humid environment, but it must be done by natives for survival so it must be do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by Martine
    One thing that struck me the most during this episode was how little survival skills these Survivors have. It's not the first time they've been on but nobody (except maybe Richard) seems to have studied up on the basics like: how to start a fire, practicing starting a fire, reading enough about parasites to know not to drink unpurified water. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I'm not saying it's easy to create a fire, especially in a humid environment, but it must be done by natives for survival so it must be do-able.
    It is do-able, just really hard to do when un-experienced. I think Richard was all talk, should prove he is able to do it and not just talk. Although that part was pretty funny. I never thought I would like Richard but the arrogant guys always make me laugh.

That's the only thing I can think. That because it's rainy season everything is wet. All these people had to have studied fire starting.

As for not drinking the water, they knew there were parasites (brain eating parasites even!), but a couple of them decided to drink it anyway. It's a toss up between possibly getting sick from parasites and definitely getting sick from dehydration.

It always takes SOMETHING to drag a lurker out of hiding, right??? Well...here's my thought.

Didn't at least Kathy have eyeglasses??? You can focus the sun to make a fire...can't you??? I did this when I was a kid. I was practically screaming this at the TV tonight. I didn't notice anyone else with glasses, but out of 18 people, I can't believe that no one else had them! That would HAVE to be an easier way to go about it.

That definitely was the big "eye-roller" of the evening for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b
    It always takes SOMETHING to drag a lurker out of hiding, right??? Well...here's my thought.

Didn't at least Kathy have eyeglasses??? You can focus the sun to make a fire...can't you??? I did this when I was a kid. I was practically screaming this at the TV tonight. I didn't notice anyone else with glasses, but out of 18 people, I can't believe that no one else had them! That would HAVE to be an easier way to go about it.

Bo3b And I agree if kathy had glasses use them! I wasn't really paying attention to if she had them or not. Also I think if they stuck to 'er and had the 3 guys quickly switching off and goin hard at it to rub the sticks together they could've had something. Going to be intresting to see who gets it first next week...if any.

FORT Fogey
    I cannot remember which series it was, but using eyeglasses to start a fire was a method used! (Africa??) I thought that myself when I was watching them try to build their fires.The Lex/Colby trade-off seemed like a good strategy. What other ways are there to build fires?

*they didn't use eyeglasses, they used a lens from a telescope stupidly provided by the crew in their emergency kit. Last time that happened

I think Rudy should have stuck with trying the bow idea. It's really the best idea out there, and would definitely work if they can keep their string from breaking.

Chairman of the Bored Cruella_DeVil's Avatar

Kathy was wearing glasses!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b

When the tribes were "questing" for fire, I thought about a previous Survivor eppy where they did use someone's glasses to start their fire. I thought the goat farmer would have his with him... didn't he have glasses last time??? When they showed the scene with Kathy and her glasses on I too couldn't believe that they didn't use them to try and start the fire!!!! What a bunch of dumb a$$es!

Princess
    I agree John, and they could make a stronger string by cutting off some piece of fabric from someone's clothes.

I don't think glasses would work unless you are farsighted and legally blind without them, and then they probably still don't focus enough. If you've ever tried doing it with a magnifying lens you would find that you have to focus the light to a really tiny dot to generate enough heat.

I thought BB used his glasses in Borneo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast