+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Preparation - or how hard is it to practice lighting a fire?

I think it's still worth trying with the glasses. In the middle of the day when the sun is at its hottest. Spontaneous fires have been known to be started. Somebody's crystal ball caught fire and it was sitting inside the house.

I am mystified by the fire thing. I thought on previous Survivors they had to start the fires themselves. Wasn't Lillian proud of doing something like that? I remember in S4? people starting fires by rubbing sticks together. I don't remember them having been given matches in every previous Survivor.

I don't understand why it has become a big deal now and nobody can do it this time.

I don't recall them being given torches from tribal council to start fires either... maybe I am wrong about this.
    Rob: "I was trying to appeal to their emotions. I was trying to make them see I was affected as well. To be honest with you, those were tears of sorrow, because I think I realized that I wasnít going to win "

Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b
    Didn't at least Kathy have eyeglasses???
    Bob, I was yelling the same thing at the tv (a bit hoarse after cheering the Pats!). They also didn't seem to understand the concept of tinder. They don't deserve fire.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Every other session when the tribe reached tribal council, they got to take the fire home. I laughed my butt off , especially at the expression on Jenna's face when Probstinator said the torches stay at TC.They counted on getting it then.
    (oh well we have to dump someone, but at least we get fire)
    I simply can't believe how inept these guys are.
    They eyeglasses should work , but no-one appeared to even try. That was my first thought too. I would have even brought bi-focals for the extra magnification. Jeez have these twits been watching too many eps of the bachelor to remember how this works?

From The Outdoor Site:

Lenses

Every school child knows a magnifying glass can focus sunlight and start a fire. On sunny days, lenses from a rifle scope, binoculars, a camera or prescription eyeglasses can sometimes be used the same way.

Focus the sunís rays through the lens to a pinpoint on some tinder, and it soon should start to smoulder. Blow or fan gently to produce a flame.

If one lens wonít create a hot pinpoint of light, try using two together, turning and separating them until you get the proper result. Survivors have even been known to start fires using sunlight shining through a piece of shaped ice.
    I never really thought about using 2 lenses together to achieve the desired effect.

But I definitely would have googled "starting a fire" before I left for the island.

hahahahahahahaha Well now they're 'collecting' rain water and drinking it

Quote Originally Posted by lalol
    I thought BB used his glasses in Borneo
    If I remember correctly, BB had an optometrist friend alter his glasses so that they were a MUCH stronger prescription. That way they would be able to start a fire. I can't remember where I got this bit of info though.

veejeer is right. I believe he actually had his lenses replaced with magnifying glass.

They seemed to be able to be able to create a spark, but didn't seem to have any decent tinder to catch. I'd try to stuff petroleum soaked dryer lint in my socks or something to smuggle it in. At the very least, they should try laying some grass out in the sun to dry and then try to use it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I think you are right stargazer, they just didnt have anything dry enough to actually make some fire out of all the smoke. I don't understand either why they gave up so quickly with Rudy's idea. Surely someone would have had shoelaces to use, and several of them seemed to have some sort of bands around neck, or even strip some clothing (to make rope) or something. I should not complain since I was not there, but it sure looked pathetic.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I think you are right stargazer, they just didnt have anything dry enough to actually make some fire out of all the smoke. I don't understand either why they gave up so quickly with Rudy's idea. Surely someone would have had shoelaces to use, and several of them seemed to have some sort of bands around neck, or even strip some clothing (to make rope) or something. I should not complain since I was not there, but it sure looked pathetic.
    I'm not sure why they didn't try again either. It was the best idea that any of them had, imo.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar
    Even if they could manage to sneak in something to help with fire, wouldn't the cameras catch them using it? I assume that would be trouble for the person sneaking something in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast