+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that bother me about these posts

Princess

Things that bother me about these posts

Guys.... I am a bit bothered about how people make fun of how people look. I really donít appreciate the jokes about Jan being saggy, Helenís teeth, or Clayís stature.
    Just because a person isnít nice or likable, it doesnít give us the immediate right to make fun of their looks.
    Iíd like to hear what you think about this.

although I dont know who these people are that you are referring to, if you are talking about celebrities...in my opinion when a person puts themselves in the public eye, they know they will be picked apart ( hence the Joan Rivers Red Carpet commentary that now is acceptable).
    Even major magazines will dog on celebrities...(Peoples Best and Worst, TV Guides Jeers and Cheers etc)
    as long as we arent plotting how to put a hit on these people, it believe its harmless.

I agree and disagree.

I think anyone in the public is open for criticism. I try to steer away from people's appearances because it makes me feel uncomfortable and yeah, a bit mean. That's my choice. This is tame compared to the crap that goes on over at Survivorsucks where they are relentless.

With that being said, I don't believe anyone likes or dislikes anyone based on appearance. Silas from S3 was gorgeous.. but he was an idiot. Ted is overweight, but one of my favourite survivors right now.

Don't get me wrong, I am sensitive to people making fun of other people's looks. Not too long ago I posted a picture of myself on this forum, only to have people make fun of me on a splinter board because of it. It really hurt, but had I not put my picture out there.....

I guess I'm just saying that if these people go on a hugely successful television show, you're setting yourself up for it. I'd rather be a Survivor who criticized for my looks - like Jan - than criticized for their actions - like Jerri on S2.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Princess
    Not too long ago I posted a picture of myself on this forum, only to have people make fun of me on a splinter board because of it. It really hurt, but had I not put my picture out there.....
    Miss F! That's really awful!! I'm so sorry to hear that! Can't believe why some ppl have a need to be mean to other ppl in that way!

With that being said, I don't believe anyone likes or dislikes anyone based on appearance. Silas from S3 was gorgeous.. but he was an idiot. Ted is overweight, but one of my favourite survivors right now.
    What I meant was that it seems to me that once ppl starts to dislike someone, they feel justified to make fun of their appearance.

I guess that my thinking is that you can change your ways, but you can't change your appearance.
    (OK, you can change your appearance somewhat, but it's not always possible for practical or cost reasons, and you really shouldn't have to change just to become accepted).

What I meant was that it seems to me that once ppl starts to dislike someone, they feel justified to make fun of their appearance.
    I agree. And yet, I find myself guilty of that as well to an extent.

You are right.. it's not cool.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

It's interesting Modesty, because in real life I can find something beautiful about the way everyone "looks".
    I don't know how many times I've cut on someones looks, but I know I have laughed when others do it.... making me just as guilty.
    It truly is all in fun though. I realize that's easy to say when it's not me being picked on for something that I have/had no control over.
    I will say though, that if someone is acting like a complete jerk, I find it much easier to find something about them that is unattractive, no matter what they "look" like.
    On the flip side of that, someone who may be deemed not attractive by "hollywood" standards may be someone I find down right irresistable
    None of what I've said above is meant to justify being mean. Just thought I'd type it out.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Princess
    Cali - I seem to find a person attractive much more based on their personality than their looks, and when people are friendly and happy with themselves, most people are very attractive.

And I am too guilty of laughing at these people at survivor - at least some of the jokes that have been made of Clay have been quite funny, e.g. the fake pics and Paulie's precaps have had me more than once! (But of course I can't identify with Clay, so maybe that's why?)

It's sad to say but we live in a superficial world. Physical appearance is one of the 1st thing that people notice. Is it right? No, but this is life!

I laugh at the jokes made here about the Survivor casts. They are extrememly hilarious. In my opinion, they are made to lighten things up and the intent is not to be purposelly malicious to anyone.

Princess
    Skey, btw, I appreciate what you are saying, even if I might disagree a bit . With "ordinary celebrities", I guess it doesn't bother me that much, even though I don't necessarily like that ppl are making fun of their looks.
    However, ppl who particpate in Survivor, are quite ordinary ppl who are just making a shot to win a million dollars. They aren't there for their looks or any other skill, so the only way they will be known to the public is how they look and how they appear on this one show. Therefore I feel like making fun of how these ppl look is worse than when ppl make fun of "ordinary" celebrites.
    I didn't start this thread to pick a fight, or to make anyone feel bad, but I was curious to know what you all think. I appreciate everyones comments here!

Modesty,

I take note of your concerns, and feel the sincerity in your words.

I am certainly guilty of making physical reference jokes, and perhaps I am one of the worst offenders. Sadly, I have a relatively sarcastic streak and sense of humor, so those things are going to come out. I suppose to make it fair, I should post various pictures of me on bad days (or good days for that matter) and open up to comments. I shall endeavor in the future to minimize the use of such humor.

However, I do take a different view from you when it comes to the Survivor participants. I think that from S2 on, these folks have known exactly what they are getting into, and that the odds of winning $1,000,000 are still 1 in 16.

Many of them are doing this FOR the publicity, and not in spite of it. So I tend to not cut them any breaks on that front.

Just my $0.02 USD
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast