+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ethan Zohn - Saboga

I agree with you Paulie, the error shouldn't have occurred, but as an event official myself, it is very easy to understand how any potential detail can be overlooked.

Gher, if you truly believe that errors invalidate the results, why pay attention to any event. Almost every event will have an error of some sort within it that could change the outcome of the game. Was Ruperts stealing property really within the rules of the game as an example. When a players buff slips slightly when they are supposed to be sightless. And Jeff tells them to put it back on. The real thing should have been to stop right there and reward the other team. When players tries to start a little but earlier, before the other one crossed the line in a line challenge. We could nitpick at all this rule breaking and the errors for not enforcing the rules and say every survivor winner is not legitimate. What's the point if this is you philosophy.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

Quote Originally Posted by ref guy
    I agree with you Paulie, the error shouldn't have occurred, but as an event official myself, it is very easy to understand how any potential detail can be overlooked.
    Granted. However, in this particular case, with a small and finite set of questions, it is 100% possible to triple-check the validity of each answer before executing the Challenge. Not only was it a possibility, I think it was also the obligation of the game's producers to have done so, and they did not.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It invalidates the outcome of the game because if A (the producers' mistake) had not happened B (Ethan's win) may not have happened. Because we have no idea what may have happened if A (a mistake) was not made, we can only speculate whether B would have occurred or not but we cannot say one way or another with 100% certainty.

That puts the validity of B into question.
    Rob: "I was trying to appeal to their emotions. I was trying to make them see I was affected as well. To be honest with you, those were tears of sorrow, because I think I realized that I wasn’t going to win "

That's true of nearly any contest, especially in sports. The only difference in this case is that the producers could have and should have been able to correct the error in advance. It's not Ethan's fault they didn't. He's a legitimate winner, not an invalid one, but the Africa series itself has a blemish that was entirely preventable.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    That's true of nearly any contest, especially in sports. The only difference in this case is that the producers could have and should have been able to correct the error in advance. It's not Ethan's fault they didn't. He's a legitimate winner, not an invalid one, but the Africa series itself has a blemish that was entirely preventable.
    Well put, more elegant than the way I tried to explain it.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Even if it was Lex, Tom, and Ethan in the final 3, there is a strong possibility that Ethan would still have won, when you consider the physical shape those 3 were in for the final challenge. The only invalidation is who was the official runner-up.

FORT Fogey
    So to say he 'won' Survivor through being nice is a statement based on a false premise. He may say he got Kim J's final vote by being a "nice guy" though (I am not sure about the reason for this either).
    So, wouldn't that mean he's a nice guy since Kim J was with him the whole 39 days? She'd know better than anyone else.

Siryn Good point. I think he would've won no matter who he faced in the f2.

Vegetarian Sweetheart -s2 KimmiKrazy's Avatar
    He is clearly athletic,
    Ahh, but do athletes win? Look what happened to Matthew and LC's fugly "husband" Colby. :p

played nicely with friends and enemies
    My point exactly! Sole survivors lie, backstabb, and dont play nice all the time.

What would you have put as a priority, Lex's gut instinct, Tom's GUT, or Sunday drive Granny
    Id say Lex's gut.. instinct
    + _____________________+
    (*Prince Gabe*)

~kimmi4ever~

Vegetarian Sweetheart -s2 KimmiKrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    Kim J deserved to win over Ethan? In what universe?
    Uh, earth! Does being nice fit into any of the 3 categories of what makes a winner a true sole survivor? (outwit outplay outlast) i didnt think so... Kim won the last ic challenge, one of the hardest! ~ outplay.

She was the biggest coattail rider, ever.
    Outwitting. She used the people who she rode coattails in to get to the final 4 and then went solo and independent and won the last 2 immunity challenges. (i think last 2) ~ outwit

And she outlasted 14 people, for a 50 something year old, tell me that isnt good. ~ outlast

But as for being dorks, you take the cake.
    I object! Youre the biggest dork ever! "Gimme silas back so we can celebrate his birthday together!!" Pssh... Now whos a dork?

At least I have only 4 Survivor guys I stick to, you just want more and more so you're trying to steal mine, Not gonna happen!
    point being? there ARE hott survivors and do you really think youre the only one who likes silas and colby and dave and ryner? <---
    + _____________________+
    (*Prince Gabe*)

~kimmi4ever~

Quote Originally Posted by KimmiKrazy
    Ahh, but do athletes win? Look what happened to Matthew and LC's fugly "husband" Colby. :p

My point exactly! Sole survivors lie, backstabb, and dont play nice all the time.

Id say Lex's gut.. instinct
    As our opponents get ready for round 2 :fight the fans for their favorites
    DING

Ethan won as an athlete even though he down played it.... Colby deserved to win just as much as Tina.... They are 2 of my favorites... The game has changed since S2 and S3. Ethan says in his video that he needs to adapt to the surrounding. The strategy that he used to win S3 was the strategy for that game. It's like a soccer match, different opponents need a different tactic to win. How you beat Brazil's "Beautiful Game" is different then how you beat Holland's "Counter Attack" would he have won if he back stabbed Lex and joined the young alliance with Silas and Co.... He controlled the vote on getting rid of Lex's add on of Brandon. Which could have changed the dynamics of the game.

"Sole survivors lie, backstabb, and dont play nice all the time", unless the winning strategy calls for a different game plan.

As for Lex's Gut winning, I agree he would have been a worthy winner, but he got sick, which is unfortunate... and because he is basically a decent guy to his friends it seems, Tom and Ethan... he never turned on them until force to do so in the F4. Lex's gut left him 3 days to early....

Granny does not deserve to win on any planet except mars.... the last 2 contest are alway set up so anyone can win them. Woman usually win the last one because of the endurance aspect. I will admit, I'm not sure why Ethan had trouble with the last challenge though, It has always confused me.....Even a lost player like here will find a nut on occasion....The only thing she had going for her was if you were into an older woman wearing a thong Marvin and the other Space Jam martians may have liked her, so she could have been the martian champion.....

+ Reply to Thread