+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Mariano - Chapera

Quote Originally Posted by Gher
    I'm also glad he didn't throw the Survivor trivia challenge
    Thank goodness, Rob wasn't that weak about Amber, and he didn't hurt himself unnecessarily.
    This are an interesting pair of quotes, Gher (the more so because I tend to agree with most of your assessments that don't involve Rob). First of all, I was under the impression that the IC was in a communal answer format...how could Rob have thrown that? He's definitely not the spiciest taco on the island (in fact, sometimes I wonder if he's got any seasoning at all), so why would his tribe believe his answer if it went against their collective opinion? True, they went with Big Tom's "Nairobi" answer, but I still don't think that Rob could have thrown that challenge. No credit to Rob for that.

Secondly, Rob has made innumerable unnecessary errors in this game (as I seem to recall him doing in Marquesas, but since I don't have it on tape and I don't spend that much of my life watching Survivor, I can't provide any specifics). The fact that both he and Amber are still in the game is entirely due to the ineptitude of this season's contestants so far: any player with half a brain would have broken up their alliance pre-jury (because now if one of them gets the boot, the other has an automatic jury vote headed his/er way, should s/he make it to F2). Antagonizing Rupert for no reason beyond soothing his own sense of inadequacy was dumb. There's no way to sugar-coat it; it was stupid. The way in which he made a deal with Alicia was similarly inept: trying to gain credibility with her by relying on a sematic loophole ("I've never promised not to write anyone's name down"), when everyone who's watched either of the Survivor seasons he's been on knows that if Rob gives you his word that's his guarantee that he'll go back on it. You can't always lie in Survivor; that's as stupidly predictable as always telling the truth. All the great Sruvivor schemers (even Jonny Foreskin) mixed their lies with enough truth to keep folks guessing.

Being petty, obvious, weak-willed, and consistenly duplicitous is not exactly a recipie for victory in Survivor, and it certainly isn't
    ...smart, smarter than Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by etcetera
    Funny, I'm a person from Boston. Yes, I've heard him, myself, my family, speak. That is NOT how he or any person from Boston pronounces the word "Rob." Rahb?? That's how we'd pronounced it if it were spelled R-a-r-b. We prounounce Rob as "Rawb." We do not EVER pronounce O's as "Ah's." NEVER. That's a midwestern thing, NOT a Boston thing.

I love a Boston accent and Rob's is as thick as New England clam chowder! It seems as though the producers of these Reality shows have decided that they need at least one person from Boston for that very reason.

FORT Fogey
    I love the Boston accent....

Kao
    If Kathy's smart she will bust Rob out in front of everyone so they can see what a liar he is; then put a bug in people's ears about how he's winning immunity a lot and now they are on their own, they need to vote him off to have a fair chance of winning.

Tha's what they would do if they were smart. I don't think that Rupert trusts him, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    Not since Brian in S5 has anybody controlled this game the way Rob is. It almost appears as though he is in charge and everybody blindly follows his lead.
    I agree. Brian has been the best strategist to win the game, imo, and now Rob has taken a page out of Brian's book. The difference is that Brian did not flaunt his alliances like Rob and Amber do. I fear that Amber will be Rob's downfall in the end. It would be a shame, because I've really enjoyed Rob's gameplay this time around. Sure, he's arrogant. So what? The object of the game is to do whatever it takes to be the last survivor, not to be the nicest survivor.

Although, sometimes it does workout where a likeable survivor wins.

FORT Fogey
    But AS sucks so bad that I want the best player to win! So go Rob! Hope he wins...woo hoo!

Somehow, he'll get the boot though...but then again, look at all these sheep in the game. When you play with sheep, you do well. Well, not me personally. But a lot of the survivors have done well with sheep.

I thought it was GREAT that Rob backstabbed Lex. I laughed soooo hard! Slapped my mom's hand too. It was wonderful, oh yes indeed.

I agree, gaelbolga, that immunity challenge was so ridiculously easy, that Rob couldn't sabotage it even if he wanted to. And I must add that a couple of the questions were slanted in Chapera's favor.

Believe me, I would be his most vocal critic if he had made the stupid move of keeping Lex on for three more days. Keeping jury members happy is important, but not as important as making sure you get to face the jury in the first place, in my view.

The main thing going for Rob so far is Chapera holding together. As soon as this pack of cards collapses, it will be a much tougher game for him. It's in his favor to keep this coalition of alliances together for as long as he can. If he is skilfull in doing that, juggling all these alliances, keeping everyone content and in the dark, he should rightfully be voted winner.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm not sure keeping Lex would have been such a terrible thing.

I would have gotten rid of ShiiAnn last time and kept Lex around to get rid of him this week.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

My little engine says "I think I can, I think I can."
    Rob is so hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    If Kathy's smart she will bust Rob out in front of everyone so they can see what a liar he is; then put a bug in people's ears about how he's winning immunity a lot and now they are on their own, they need to vote him off to have a fair chance of winning.

Tha's what they would do if they were smart. I don't think that Rupert trusts him, though.
    I don't know if the original Chapera tribe would see Rob's "betrayal" of Lex as being a liar. I mean, if I was a Chapera, I'd be glad we got rid of someone -anyone- from Mogo-Mogo, rather than "our" tribe. But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by holly71; 04-13-2004 at 09:27 PM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread