+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The troubling "women as sheep" phenomenon

Quote Originally Posted by croftchrism
    Since the women left are followers, not leaders, how hard do you think it will be to have Jon make sure that he is in the final three? All he has to do is convince lil and Darrah that Sandra is evil and should leave.... I bet that she could do that rather easily!!!
    These women are almost certain to turn on each other before the next TC. I will almost guarantee Jon will be in the final three. Not a bad choice to take with you to the F2, but I think Sandra or Darrah could just as easily win against Lill.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fanatic
    Posted by Croftchrism:

"Since the women left are followers, not leaders, how hard do you think it will be to have Jon make sure that he is in the final three? All he has to do is convince lil and Darrah that Sandra is evil and should leave.... I bet that she could do that rather easily!!!"

===========>

Jonny Rotten's only chance now is with Darrah, if he doesn't win immunity. He should know by now that he can't BS Sandra anymore and he can no longer rely on being able to lead Lil down the garden path as she's a little to mentally unstable now and he had hoped to get rid of her last night. He will now turn his attention to Darrah in trying to hang on, reminding her of the F2 pact they made on their previous challenge win. If he were to win immunity however, it puts him in a dilemma: does he vote off Sandra because he hates her or does 'Fairplay' turn on Darrah because she is percieved stronger in the challenges.

FORT Fanatic
    I also agree with Stargazer, the women are altogether too unstable to keep their alliance going and Johnny Rotten likely lives yet another 3 days. It really was a miracle that they were able to get it together for the one time last night. I wonder how they are all taking it in while watching it on tv now. For Jon and Burton to be so arrogant and confident, easily remarking about the girls collective uselessness while away on the reward, the women must have really been easy to con and manipulate for and against eachother throughout the entire filming, most of which we have not seen. I can only imagine whats on the cutting room floor about 'pouty, whiny, please tell me what to do' Lil.

Quote Originally Posted by Netcam
    I can only imagine whats on the cutting room floor about 'pouty, whiny, please tell me what to do' Lil.
    What ever you say about Lil (who I can't stand), she did pull it together last night... Which is why I think that John might go to her first... He knows that she broke her alliance to Burton, and he can probably convince her that Sandra made her do it, and to vote out Sandra. I bet Darrah doesn't really care who gets voted out next week, since she is rather likely to kick ass in the next immunity challange (especially with the weak three left!). The only problem for John is the fact that Darrah might realize that she has an easier win against Lil then Jon, and take Lil to the end... Doesn't the bible say something about the meek inheriting the Earth? Who knew that they were talking about Survivor!
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

FORT Fanatic
    croftchrism, you may be right with that theory. While Lil actually made a decision last night, she is still the biggest 'sheep' in Survivor history.

BTW, thought I had read somewhere that after Survivor contestants were voted out or the 39 days ended, that they were checked out by doctors (gp's, psychologists) to make sure they were physically and mentally ok after their experience.
    If this is the case, I wouldn't be suprised if they found Lil to be the first contestant who was close to being defined as clinically 'brainwashed' afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Netcam
    If this is the case, I wouldn't be suprised if they found Lil to be the first contestant who was close to being defined as clinically 'brainwashed' afterwards.
    Is clinically brainwashed the technical term for baa-ing a lot???
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croftchrism
    Since the women left are followers, not leaders, how hard do you think it will be to have Jon make sure that he is in the final three? All he has to do is convince lil and Darrah that Sandra is evil and should leave.... I bet that she could do that rather easily!!!
    I think this issue of followers vs. leaders tending to last deep into the game goes beyond just women. It's reasonably fair to say that lately strong characters (both physically and strategically) have not been lasting deep into the jury stage.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    I was still bothered by the women last night. --- Basically, I think they pulled off a coup d'etat in spite of themselves.

I can only hope that MB takes mercy on the female sex next season and gives strong, smart women someone to root for.
    I agree totally! It's too bad, though, that women like that are usually seen as mean or unfriendly, and get voted off before they can prove themselves. I think the guys are usually afraid of women like that, and the more airheaded women think they are no "fun". Also I know from experience that if women are actually able to do outdoor things like catching fish, starting fires, climbing trees etc. without some man making them do it then a lot of men AND women think that there must be something really weird about that woman. ( Especially if you're a better fisher(man?) than the men! On Survivor, not fitting in can equal going home in a hurry!

Hmmm...
    Stepping into dangerous, sexist, territory here....
    Women have a strong ability to be very cruel to each other. They can rip each other apart for small comments or actions. Note Christa's comments on Darrah. It might seem logical from the other side of the TV that the girls should band together, but there on the island they seem to have gotten seriously on each others nerve.

Men, however, get alot more tollerance from women. Things that would be despised coming from a fellow female get overlooked or rationalized away.
    So, one bad word from Tijuana and she's dead, while Jon and Burt got away (for a while) with murder.

Well, I was extatic about last night's final outcome - it was great to see Sandra win it all. I thought she did a pretty good job of answering the jury's questions and really seemed to be satisfying the members of the jury while Lill only went for the most part to antogonizing people plus she had the "outcast" tag going against her. Towards the latter part of the jury's questions I did start to feel like Lill was doing a better job, standing up for herself, and stating her case and was much more forceful with what she said but by then I'm sure it was to late.

I did not feel like Sandra gave herself enough credit. She sounded like her basic strategy was to be a sheep and just go with whoever needed her vote which she did do but she was also very proactive in some of things that went on, on the island. I was a little disappointed for example that it was never brought out after it was revealed that she won the masterful job she had done with pulling the woman alliance together - encouraging Lill to be strong and to not give in when questioned about things - and particularly when she did such a masterful job fooling Jon into believing that the women hadn't gotten together and talked while they were off the island. They never brought that up and never talked to Sandra about it, either in the morning show or after the winner was revealed - I was very disappointed with CBS for that and was amazed that Sandra didn't say anything about it. It might have been a good strategy not to mention it in front of the jury but after it was all over - I mean that was a masterful job on her part and it wasn't even mentioned.

Still the women disappointed me again when they could not keep it together to vote Jon off after Burton - they just seem totally unable to be decisive and stick with their plans. Once again Jon was able to convince them to vote off Darrah and take him to the final three. I think Darrah - Sandra would have been a much more interesting final two.

The final last night continued to convince me that Lill is totally brain dead, and had no clue about what she was doing but simply let herself be led into making decisions by others the entire game - not once did she have any real strategy about how to play the game - she reacted only based the feeling of betrayal against her. Super nice person, great character, great heart but I think she said it best here startegy was to be herself - in other words nothing, no planned strategy at all. I am super happy she did not win, it would have made me sick.

Jon, with last night's performance just made me all the more certain of what a total jerk he is. He was a good strategist and from that standpoint he played a great game, maybe second only to Rob in the history of the game. I think Rob was more charismatic in his way with the other survivors than Jon was but Andrew's assesment of Jon was pretty accurate - he had a way of talking to the other survivors and getting them to buy into what he was saying hook, line and sinker. So I do think he was a very good player but as a person he is a total zero and his comments last night only deepened my conviction on this. When rating him in this area versus Richard Hatch and Rob - Jon is total scum and totally full of himself. My only hope is that he lives long enough to learn some valuable lessons about life - he is young and very very immature and basically just a sick individual right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456