+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reading off the votes

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I liked the good ol' S1 days when pretty much every vote was shown. Since there was really only one alliance, it was dramatically "safe" to reveal almost everyone's comments.
    Exactly, they did use to show all the votes. One of the reasons they did this was due to the fact that ALL votes cast against you at ANY TC accumulated for an overall total "negative" vote. This way, if there was a tie at one of the TC's these past votes could be used as a tie breaker. So in effect ANY one single vote against you ANY time during the course of the game could be the final nail in your coffin!

So, now I want to know (since it's been driving me crazy for awhile now) if the remaining votes remain a mystery to the tribe members how can they know for sure that how many votes are hanging over their heads like an axe (a cutlass in this case ) ready to fall? Not only that, but those extra votes were used by the survivors in the past to plan strategy. In other words.....if everyone knew going in to TC that it would be a tie between two people.....some of the tribe members knew they had nothing to worry about because it would be the extra votes that got their nemesis out that week. So how can they legitimately use these past votes anymore?

My VCR is busted, so I can't verify this right now.

However, I believe in Survivor 7 Episode 7a (the "we only have 10 minutes to do the coconut popcorn" episode) someone said an actual time of day that it was.

I think they said "it's only 9 o'clock now" or something to that effect, but it does make you wonder if the cameramen give them some idea of the time for production purposes.

(Imagine if Paulie's Precaps' arriving-late-to-challenges actually occurred... )

Quote Originally Posted by Idol Critic
    So, now I want to know (since it's been driving me crazy for awhile now) if the remaining votes remain a mystery to the tribe members how can they know for sure that how many votes are hanging over their heads like an axe (a cutlass in this case ) ready to fall? Not only that, but those extra votes were used by the survivors in the past to plan strategy. In other words.....if everyone knew going in to TC that it would be a tie between two people.....some of the tribe members knew they had nothing to worry about because it would be the extra votes that got their nemesis out that week. So how can they legitimately use these past votes anymore?
    Anytime Jeff says something like "Okay, that's enough, we don't need to continue reading" or "That's a majority, the remaining votes will stay a mystery" it's always the person being voted out. You see all the votes that can possibly be shown before seeing a majority. Like if you had Adam, Betty, and Carl. Adam got a vote, Betty got a vote, and Carl got 6 votes. They will always show you Adam's and Betty's vote and then they'll show enough of Carl's to have a majority and then Jeff stops. Like, when I'm watching a Tribal Council and he says something like "And the next member of our jury is . . . " before all the votes are read, I'm already thinking, "wow, the rest of the people voted for him/her too?" or something like that, because you know that any votes not read/shown were for that person.

That's almost always true. As I mentioned earlier, there were two occasions that I can think of where that wasn't the case. A vote for Frank in S3 was not shown, for some reason. And I remember thinking at the time it was the second time they'd done that. Jeff Varner, I think, received votes he wasn't aware of, back in S2.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Oh yeah, I believe you're right about Jeff. There was one that wasn't shown, I remember it came up the week he was voted out first in the merged tribe and there was a tie. I didn't notice Frank's in Africa, but yeah, Before then and ever since then, that's been the case.
    Last edited by colby_d; 11-15-2003 at 03:20 PM.

I think Frank's mystery vote occurred when they got rid of Silas. Jeff just went, "Silas-Silas-Silas-Silas-that's enough." Something really odd like that.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about that. Geez, I'd like to watch that again.

I have no idea why they would ever leave a vote a mistery that isn't for the one who's getting booted. I see no point in that.

Maybe Jeff just really wanted to get Silas out as quickly as possible in that season? He WAS arrogant. Hot but arrogant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123