+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did the Outcast Tribe have an unfair advantage?

searching for madness PrincessRight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Nicely put, brusch.
    The Outcasts without a doubt had an advantage. They seemed rested, and well-fed, compared to the other 2 tribes. BUT, I think Morgan's and Drake's desire to not let an Outcast make it back into their tribe would be a bigger driving force for them than the Outcast's adrenalin rush of revenge. Guess, it wasn't.
    Could the shock factor (i.e. seeing the "ghosts") kept their total focus on the competition? The surprise was sprung on them like a bolt of lightning and sometimes people need to regroup. For example, in figure skating, if skaters fall on their triple axle and don't give themselves permission to forget the mistake, they end up presenting a flawed program. The same explanation can be applied to the tribes' state of mind during the last challenge.
    "If the only prayer you say in your entire life is Thank You, that would be enough."
    Meister Eckhart
    "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can ever dream for yourself."
    Oprah Winfrey

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    The Outcasts without a doubt had an advantage. They seemed rested, and well-fed, compared to the other 2 tribes.
    They looked much healthier, and since we didn't get to see how they were living or what their rations were, I'm calling BS.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRight
    Could the shock factor (i.e. seeing the "ghosts") kept their total focus on the competition? The surprise was sprung on them like a bolt of lightning and sometimes people need to regroup. For example, in figure skating, if skaters fall on their triple axle and don't give themselves permission to forget the mistake, they end up presenting a flawed program. The same explanation can be applied to the tribes' state of mind during the last challenge.
    The outcast had the shock factor also. They did not know they were competing to get back into the game unitl Jeff anounced it at the challenge. They worked together totally like a team and they had one, a disadvantage, one more member to untie and get out.

searching for madness PrincessRight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishbarb
    The outcast had the shock factor also. They did not know they were competing to get back into the game unitl Jeff anounced it at the challenge. They worked together totally like a team and they had one, a disadvantage, one more member to untie and get out.
    The shock factor for the Outcasts was more like an injection of hope: "Whoopee! We were losers and now we get a chance to get back in the game and possibly win the megabucks!" The Morgan/Drake shock factor was more like the shot of doom: "Oh NOOOOOOO, what the heck are these losers doing here getting a second chance at the million dollars?" There's a HUGE difference! The scale tips favorably on the Outcasts side.
    Last edited by PrincessRight; 11-01-2003 at 09:07 PM.
    "If the only prayer you say in your entire life is Thank You, that would be enough."
    Meister Eckhart
    "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can ever dream for yourself."
    Oprah Winfrey

Premium Member
    I not only believe that they had an unfair advantage at the IC, but I believe they had an unfair advantage in the entire scope of the game. Granted, they were only fed rations of rice and protein, and it looks like they were all wearing the same dirty clothes that they were wearing when they were booted..but:
    1) They did not have to "Play" the game like the remaining Survivors had too. They did not have to worry about ticking somebody off, they also did not have to worry about improving interpersonal relationships.
    2) They did not have to compete or stress out over the RC's and the IC's.
    3) They did'nt have to exhaust themselves every 2nd and third day, rowing out to the challenges and TC (Trish is the only one this did not apply to).
    4) They basically had a half-time rest period both emotionally and physically.
    This all adds up to an unfair advantage.

I think MB made the Outcast tribe having a slight advantage since the 'twist' won't be too exciting if they just lost and all went home.

Quote Originally Posted by lalol
    I think MB made the Outcast tribe having a slight advantage since the 'twist' won't be too exciting if they just lost and all went home.
    I knew when they walked out (or when I first read the spoilers ) that they would win the challenge. It would have been WAY too anti-climactic for MB, so we know that can't happen!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Doesn't matter whether the outcast tribe win or lose. If they lose, all the members of Morgan and Drake vote one in from the Outkast to replace one that they voted out from the remaining 10.

FORT Fogey
    Well, can you blame us? They don't deserve to be there at all and now they're going to be on the jury! Excuse me for finding that unfair. And it is! They did have an unfair advantage.

From the discussion so far I count the following advantages for the Outcasts:
    1. SLEEP - the difference could be as much as 8hrs vs 20 min each night
    2. PROTEIN - Morgan wasn't getting any, Outcasts were
    3. NO WORK - Outcasts didn't scavenge their food, get water, rebuild shelter, paddle to challenges, compete in challenges, etc.
    4. NO POLITICAL STRESS - Outcasts didn't have to vote anyone out, stay in the majority
    5. CLEANLINESS - Outcasts looked like they'd had a nice hot shower
    6. COACHING - The Outcasts had been given body paint to help psych them up and I bet they were coached as to how they could save face by winning
    7. ELEMENT OF SURPRISE - They knew they'd be competing the others were surprised to see them
    8. NO BUGS
    9. EXTRA EQUIPMENT - I'm not sure if they were wrist bands or buffs, but Outcasts used them in their pole and neither Morgan nor Drake did.

Equal factors:
    1. PRIDE - all teams were motivated by pride to win
    2. TOLERATE ANNOYING PEOPLE - I'm sure Loser Lodge had its share of annoying people

Disadvantages for Outcasts:
    1. ONE MORE PERSON TO UNTIE - since some of activities took place at simultaneously this is less than if each person were untied one at a time
    2. LESS EXPERIENCE AS A TEAM

I'm surprised that it was as close as it was.

This leads me to wonder if it would have been better for MB to just announce that two Outcasts would be returning rather than stage a clearly fixed challenge. Pretending that its fair for people who have been out of the game to compete in a moderately physical challenge makes a mockery of ALL the hardship and survivalism in the show.
    Bring it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast