+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

Quote Originally Posted by catfishbarb
    I thinkk Hiedi from last season is the person who was probably closest to starvation from any other survivor. Her hair was falling out and I think she came back weighing only about 85 lbs. Osten was getting thinner but he certainly didn't look like his body was failing. If he was throwing up blood I think he would have been looked at by the Dr on staff who would have done something if it was serious.
    Osten's hair certainly wasn't falling out.
    For that matter ... he was also clean shaven when he left after, what, 18 days? Where was he hiding a razor when they all had to jump off the ship?

On second thought, Morgan won a challenge where they got sponges and shower stuff, but did that include shaving supplies? And if so, wasn't he still clean shaven (head and face) during THAT challenge?

Hmmmmmm ...

Mischief, thanks for the detailed account of starvation. I for one like to read all the medical detail I can, so don't hold back!

Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911
    And if anyone ventures far enough into this post to read this can they please answer a question for me....
    Is there some reason why they can't eat the billions of crabs that attack them at night (protected, paracites, bad Karma?)
    I was an exchange student to Panama when I was a teen. We used to go to the beach and catch crabs as a special treat. We just carried coffee cans and picked up a long stick and whapped them - they were everywhere. It didn't take any skill at all. They would get cooked up in the rice, shell and all, although I think we were cracking them. Delicious!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I was an exchange student to Panama when I was a teen. We used to go to the beach and catch crabs ...
    Nothing a little penicillin couldn't take care of, huh?

Okay, I'll open up a can of worms. I'm sure some of us may have thought this but haven't voiced it...Osten and the use of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Suppose some of his behavior was the result of this? Muscle and joint pain is a withdrawal symptom of steroid use. Balding, weakness, and mood swings also occur with its use. I'm not trying to imply just because Osten had a muscular body that it was a result of steroid use; lots of people work very hard to develop a build. I'm going more on the behavioral side of things, and it seems to fit with a lot of the statements he made regarding "every muscle and bone in his body being sore" and "having no gas left in his tank." Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm really just dancing all round this issue because I was so unimpressed with the way Jiff made such a big deal about him it.
    Fluff, I'm glad someone else noticed that. I too was a little uncomfortable with the holier-than-thou role Jeff took. Hey, come on, you dissed his character on national television. This is a game, for God's sake.

BTW, Lots of contestants have wanted to quit before - even Jenna. Not all of them get air time. I remember hearing that after losing the coke challenge, Deena was ready to throw in the towel. And who was that cute gal from the women's Amazon tribe who begged for everyone to vote her out? Why doesn't SHE get the honors of being the first Survivor ever to quit?

Yeah, yeah, I can hear you guys arguing - "but it was only temporary, only whining, ..."

But hey, there's a big difference between whining that you want to quit and actually pulling the trigger and quitting..

oops, oh yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Okay, I'll open up a can of worms. I'm sure some of us may have thought this but haven't voiced it...Osten and the use of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Suppose some of his behavior was the result of this? Muscle and joint pain is a withdrawal symptom of steroid use. Balding, weakness, and mood swings also occur with its use. I'm not trying to imply just because Osten had a muscular body that it was a result of steroid use; lots of people work very hard to develop a build. I'm going more on the behavioral side of things, and it seems to fit with a lot of the statements he made regarding "every muscle and bone in his body being sore" and "having no gas left in his tank." Just some food for thought.
    I said in an earlier post that his mental and physical problems could have been from alcohol withdrawl. After all he had 2 big bottles of booze with him on the boat. Now that you mention steroids I think you may be onto something. I''m not familiar with them, but he definately was physically uncomfortable even though he looked so strong. Maybe it was a combination of both.

As tempting as the "steroid-withdrawal" theory is, I would think that Survivor does drug tests before the castaways are shipped off. If they do, wouldn't steroids show up?

And, yeah, other castaways have whined about wanting to be sent home in past seasons. But did any of them start whining as early as the 5th or 6th day???

Premium Member
    There is nothing else to add, my fellow FORT folks pretty much describe how disgusted I am with the Osten situation and the obvious lack of judgement
    the Producers have shown in his selection. As despicable as Jon is, I at least think he may really want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    As tempting as the "steroid-withdrawal" theory is, I would think that Survivor does drug tests before the castaways are shipped off. If they do, wouldn't steroids show up?
    Another thing to consider, though, is the use of legal supplements. If Osten was used to taking a number of (often stimulant-related) nutritional supplements (which I'm sure he was--it's nigh impossible to get a body like that without being on protein shakes and fat-burning supplements), he would have been going through a type of withdrawal.

Having said that, there have been plenty of muscular guys on Survivor before that have roughed it out. I still say boo.
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

I'd say it was an overall chemical withdrawal he suffered from. Alcohol, drugs, steriods, you name it. He strikes me as one of those steroided-out circuit party boys that pretty much live on booze, drugs, protein powder & steroids.

Except all the people like that I've ever known still have ten times the character that this schmuck has. What a total waste.

Jeff wasn't mean enough with him. Just to think about how much everyone else wanted to stay & Andrew and Tijuana sitting there coddling him & voting everyone else off - grrr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast