+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

FORT Newbie
    What a pathetic loser. This guy doesn't seem to care that he is being harpooned all over the place for his decision. He is insulting all the millions of people who have applied to be on the show. I'm glad Probst didn't let him down easy.

maybe none of them is smart enough to think of that?
    osten was afraid of crabs...??
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I am not sure why they didnt get a net and have some boiled crabs....makes sense to me to try and eat them......

They actually did have a net. I remember Andrew and RyanO trying to use it in an earlier episode. I don't think they showed, however what happened to the net. What the producers did show was that they didn't know how to use the net to the point of actually catching something!

As incompetent as Osten was, it still amazes me that Rupert is the only one on the entire show that knows something about fishing. How sad is that!? The worse part is that when they show Morgans trying to fish, they are so obviously not putting their all into it. Rupert goes far into the water. I haven't seen any Morgans go in more than 20 ft. from the shore. Andrew of all people should know that
    no motivation + half-hearted attempts = NO FOOD!

searching for madness PrincessRight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Nothing but a big to everyone. He only has himself to blame. No person with an iota of common sense would sell almost all of his clothing, knowing the kinds of conditions the Survivors will go through. Osten was finished from Day 1.
    Osten might have planned his Survivor demise from the time they jumped ship. As he stated in his Early Show interview this week, he was afraid he would freeze to death in his boxers. Yet, he did not think twice about selling his clothes on the first day. He might have given up the clothes on his back because he did not plan on staying very long on the islands (he did not want to catch pneumonia, remember? :rolleyes), just long enough to get his TV exposure that would possibly land him a lucrative modeling/body building career or something. He was probably working on getting a boxers commercial deal! All throughout the episodes, especially during the challenges, he wore a serious (almost angry) demeanor. At their last TC, he had the biggest smile on his face. That expression said it all!
    "If the only prayer you say in your entire life is Thank You, that would be enough."
    Meister Eckhart
    "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can ever dream for yourself."
    Oprah Winfrey

I think Osten might well have been prepared...for the game he thought he'd be playing.

Just as the others probably did, he likely packed decent clothing to wear, up to the maximum they are allowed to take.

The beginning twist left them all unprepared and in selling his clothes in the market, Osten clearly didn't react well to it.

He felt he was helping the tribe y selling his clothes, possibly acting the hero, but he was hurting himself.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but I think there were a few spanners thrown into the works this season and how you reacted to them played a big part in the initial success of the individulas and tribes as a whole.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Good point, fluff!

searching for madness PrincessRight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911
    Is there some reason why they can't eat the billions of crabs that attack them at night (protected, paracites, bad Karma?)
    Hmmm... let me guess. Before one can fully enjoy those delicious creatures, their shell has to be cracked. I've eaten crabs and personally found that a lot of work is involved getting to the crab meat and sometimes, there's not a lot to enjoy. If one's looking for instant gratification, eating crabs can be an exercise in frustration! The Survivor folks probably don't like to spend their precious energy doing that because they're reserving it for the challenges.
    "If the only prayer you say in your entire life is Thank You, that would be enough."
    Meister Eckhart
    "God can dream a bigger dream for you than you can ever dream for yourself."
    Oprah Winfrey

When you think about it, Osten is clearly an arrogant guy.
    He immediately tried to take charge of the Morgan tribe, taking them on a ridiculous run up the beach looking for a camp site.
    He was shown to be very lazy, but I am wary of Burnett's editing when it comes to laziness after the stitch up job he did on Nick Brown in S2. My hunch is that Osten was lazy, but as Mischief says, it takes a lot of hard work to build a physique like his.

I have to wonder whether Osten has seen previous series at all.
    It was a common cry of the contestants in previous seasons, particularly ones that went out pre-jury that "I've never seen the show before".
    We have also seens a rise in contestant selection by casting agents in recent years on Survivor and even more so on TAR, so Osten might have been cast. They could easily have had him do a video for showing on the official site.

I also agree with Princess Right, there are still epople who go onto shows for the exposure. If this was the case I wish he had chosen to try out in front of the Big Brother cameras instead of taking the place of a person who might well have put up a better fight to stay in this game.

I would love to see a beefy guy do well on Survivor.
    Thanks to Colby and his killer immunity winning streak, the plan is always to boot the big guys out a.s.a.p. post merge.
    I would love to see the most muscley guy buck the odds and stay in the game for a long time, just once, just to break the established pattern.

I'm really just dancing all round this issue because I was so unimpressed with the way Jiff made such a big deal about him it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRight
    Hmmm... let me guess. Before one can fully enjoy those delicious creatures, their shell has to be cracked. I've eaten crabs and personally found that a lot of work is involved getting to the crab meat and sometimes, there's not a lot to enjoy. If one's looking for instant gratification, eating crabs can be an exercise in frustration! The Survivor folks probably don't like to spend their precious energy doing that because they're reserving it for the challenges.

I recall the post switch Maraamu tribe catching, boiling, shelling then frying great pan fulls of crab meat during S4.
    The Survivor's really should give it a try if it's possible.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast