+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take that, Friends!

FORT Fan

Take that, Friends!

This is some news I've been waiting to hear for a long time!

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=1899
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ratings: Sixth episode of 'Survivor: Pearl Islands' draws over 20 million viewers

By Steve Rogers, 10/24/2003

While last night's Florida Marlins / New York Yankees World Series game might have been alluring to some viewers, clearly it wasn't able to pack the ratings punch of last week's seventh game of the Boston Red Sox / New York Yankees ALCS, as CBS's broadcast of Survivor: Pearl Islands won its 8-9PM timeslot versus FOX's World Series game and NBC's combined Friends/Scrubs sitcoms.

According to final Nielsen ratings for October 23, Survivor: Pearl Islands was first in households (11.7/18), viewers (20.19m), adults 25-54 (9.3/22) and second in adults 18-49 (7.5/20). At 8:30PM, Survivor was first in households (+35% ahead of NBC), adults 25-54 (+55% ahead of NBC), adults 18-49 (+23% ahead of NBC) and had +7.58m more viewers than NBC.

Survivor: Pearl Islands was up at 8:30 PM by +18% in households (12.6/19 from 10.7/17), +21% in adults 25-54 (10.2/23 from 8.4/21), +29% in adults 18-49 (8.5/22 from 6.6/18) and added +3.44m viewers (21.91m from 18.47m) from its 8:00PM delivery.

Survivor: Pearl Islands's average of 20.19 million viewers for the 8-9PM hour was up 840,000 viewers from last week's 19.35 million viewers and 470,000 viewers above its previous season average of 19.72 million viewers.

In a historic first that further reinforces the changing of the guard on television's most competitive night, CBS won Thursday in adults 18-49 with and against regularly scheduled programming on NBC for the first time since the advent of people meters. Coming on one of the most competitive Thursdays of the season that included Game 5 of the World Series, CBS won the night in households (12.8/20), viewers (20.90m), adults 25-54 (9.3/21) and adults 18-49 (7.5/19). CBS trailed NBC by –2.8 rating points in adults 18-49 on premiere Thursday.

As CBS posted its first win in adults 18-49 in at least 16 years, conversely NBC delivered its lowest household (10.2) and adult 18-49 (7.4) ratings for a Thursday night of regularly scheduled original programming since Nielsen began metering homes in 1987.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm fortunate to be able to watch both Friends and Survivor if I wish as they are shown on the same channel up here in Canada, although I find little of interest in Friends anymore.

With Survivor, CSI and Without a Trace, there is no reason for me to switch off CBS.
    Those three shows blow away anything NBC has to offer imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I agree. Friends has just run so cold lately. Just leave, already.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    With Survivor, CSI and Without a Trace, there is no reason for me to switch off CBS.

I just began watching Without a Trace - LOVE IT!

And I'm bored with Friends too - I used to tape it, it's not worth wearing down by VHS tapes....

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I agree. Friends has just run so cold lately. Just leave, already.

That was funny.
    Yes, Friends has grown stale.

Yeah! I'm so glad to see Survivor packing in the ratings, it's a great season.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm fortunate to be able to watch both Friends and Survivor if I wish as they are shown on the same channel up here in Canada, although I find little of interest in Friends anymore.

Those three shows blow away anything NBC has to offer imo.
    Ah, a fellow Canadian! You must be watching it on Global.

Friends, IMVHO, can go off the air anytime now. And I have to agree...CBS is now my station of choice as well. Survivor, CSI and WAT notwithstanding, I am also a huge fan of Letterman and TAR...hopefully there'll be a 5th season!!!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I do end up watching Friends most weeks a day later (but that's because I have Tivo). However I'm with Fluff, the NBC lineup vs CBS certainly has nothing worth changing the channel for.

I really enjoyed Friends the first couple years. But they have gone a few seasons too many and now I find that when I DO watch it, I don't even laugh.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Premium Member
    Yipeeeeee! The better the numbers, the better chance that the series will continue. Outside of an occasional Sports program, Survivor is truely the only thing I watch

FORT Fan
    to Tmcrae...

Although we know "Survivor" isn't going anywhere, with an "all-stars" edition (reportedly featuring selected persons from the first five seasons, excluding Thailand, Amazon, and Pearl Islands) starting following the Super Bowl in February 2004, but CBS has confirmed that there will be a fifth season of "The Amazing Race".

The network is/was soliciting applications on their website (www.cbs.com) and the now-Emmy winning reality race will return sometime in 2004. Reportedly, the network could air the series as early as spring (if there are no production delays), or as late as next fall.

With "Survivor" and "Race", CBS has the two "classiest" reality hours on television. In the increasingly crass genre that is reality series, that is no small accomplishment. (Even if the guilty pleasure "Big Brother" franchise sometimes straddles that fine line between class and crass.)

I'm with the rest who don't see any reason to change channels on Thursday nights. Without a Trace is an awesome show.

I do, however, really enjoy Extreme Makeover ..

Ooops. OT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast