+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why Can't The Worthiest Win?

This is what I'm talking about:

Survivor's Trish Dishes Rupert
    by Angel Cohn

Trisha Dunn

Raising 10-year-old twins is tough, but battling her tribemates on Survivor: Pearl Islands was even tougher for Maryland mom Trish Dunn. The 42-year-old was voted off after she tried to form an alliance against the Drake tribe's resident fisherman, Rupert.

"I think that Rupert absolutely should have gone," Dunn tells TV Guide Online. "It was a very good time for him to leave the game, because it was before we went into the merge. He was just so dominant in both tribes, and he was just so vocal about how much the other tribe liked him and how he could manipulate anybody on the other tribe."

A few telling moments made Dunn feel threatened by the self-proclaimed pirate. "Rupert once said to me, 'When I came back from Morgan, if Burton wasn't gone, I would have opted to stay with them,'" she reveals. "Which sent up a big red flag. If you are supposed to 'Mr. Drake,' and we didn't pick the right person, you would have just jumped ship?

I'm sorry, but what an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlying
    And personally I think if you won Survivor, you're worthy. If you got voted out, you're not. Simple as that.
    That's a very ordinary and foolish argument. There's a reason Vecepia and even Jenna are perceived as poor representatives of the sole Survivor, while Richard and Brian are regarded as master players. It's all in how they actually played the game. As in any competition, the "best" contestant doesn't always win. Luck always plays a role, and in Survivor, as Zaius very eloquently pointed out, the human element is an overriding concern. Sometimes, very worthy players are voted out. That's a reality and not so trivially discarded as the tired assertion above suggests.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Regular
    Whats your definition of 'worthy'? Someone you like on a personal level?

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLookAway
    This is a great point.

And to Paulie, it's not always about being the best. Sometimes it's about having everyone around you be really stupid.

Colby was not worthy to win because he was really stupid in letting Tina go to the Final 2 with him over Keith. He would have won if he brought Keith to the Final 2, but he made such a poor error at the worst of times. That alone makes him unworthy imo.

Oh, and about Jenna:

It is pretty widely regarded that Rob Casternino was one hell of a player no? Well then how is Jenna unworthy if she was able to outlast such a smart player like Rob?

People don't like Jenna because of the way she behaved, but does that make her unworthy because you didn't like her? It all ties into what the poster above my posts posted about how being worthy apparently is someone you like on a personal level.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ICantLookAway
    For me the person who played the game the best who is in the final 2 deserves to win. I would say of the first 6 survivors the best person did win(i would have said Matt deserved to win last year but his final speech screwed him over in my books). It doesn't matter how nice or how much an arse somebody is.

Colby should have won precisely because he took Tina to the final two.
    He kept his word to Tina, between them they lulled Keith into a false sense of security and he took his strongest ally and strongest opposition to the final with him.

Too bad not enough members of the jury were able to see that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    I think Tina deserved to win because she was pulling all the strings. Least nobody is saying Rodger deserved to win S2, him and Jan are by far away the 2 worst players ever in this game.

I couldn't agree more. I think that some Survivor's just get a bum deal because they are perceived as a threat. As another poster pointed out, look at Hunter from S3. Trish is just bitter. She got bested and nothing she says can be taken objectively. Obviously the rest of the tribe didn't agree with her. One can also make a point about Ryan S. and Lil from this season. They were booted for a perceived lack of performance.

Few things fluff:

1) The game involves lying. We will never know what could have happened if Colby lied to Tina and had her be on the jury, and what the outcome would have been, but when lying in the game is normal, keeping your word shouldn't really give you extra cookie points.

2) You say between them. Well then doesn't Tina deserve credit for that too for backstabbing Keith? Maybe that's what the jury saw there.

I'd really love to not continue arguing the past seasons so specifically though, I never saw them.

+ Reply to Thread