+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Why Can't The Worthiest Win?

Yeah, I was disappointed in that. We didn't get to see much of Trish except for the scheming at the end. I bet there was a lot more going on.

I agree about the editing, though. Sculptors can only sculpt from what you give them!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    They just can't make you out to be a Jon, or an Amy (from Paradise Hotel), or a Jeri unless you provide them with footage of you being an a$$hole.
    And every season has its a$$hole. There are more of them in the world than any sane person should care to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by chirospasm
    I agree about the editing, though. Sculptors can only sculpt from what you give them!
    Ahh, but Michelangelo chiseled David from a block of marble so flawed that no other sculptor would use it....

Survivor "play" can be analyzed using the branch of mathematics known as "Game Theory." People who saw the movie, "A Beautiful Mind" may recall that mathematician John Nash won a Nobel Prize (in Economics) for his original work in Game Theory.

People interested in Survivor strategies, and analyzing the game might really enjoy studying this branch of mathematics. It is quite different than most of the math that is taught at the secondary and even college levels.

Learning a bit about it has altered my perception of "worthy."

For me, a lot of the fun of Survivor is watching players design their strategies, and then attempting my own analysis of their play.

Since Jenna has taken a beating in this thread, let me attempt a defense for her. Remember in S6 when Rob told Jenna he wanted to take her to F2, "because you're the only one I can beat"? Jenna didn't feel the same way about Rob, having no desire to see him in F2. This is a one-sided relationship, and provided Jenna with an advantage - certainly not enough to win - but it helped shape play.

Creating a number of one-sided relationships like this is really key. A player who can successfully do this, by whatever means, helps their cause and can be considered "worthy."

Some background information is available here:
    http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/schools/game.htm

The materials for a college level course in Game Theory from Vanderbuilt University are available here:

http://mba.vanderbilt.edu/Mike.Shor/...s/game-theory/

I think that it again calls into question the definition of 'worthy' in the viewer's mind. As Zaius pointed out, the jury is unpredictable in their voting methods because of their different views on worthiness. We the audience also differ on our views on worthiness because of our own perception of what transpired.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Well this is a reality show and in reality it is really not fair and you always tend to wonder why these people who you have better qualities compared to them always wins... or becomes popular... but this is afterall life.

FORT Fan
    Hey the "worthy" player, the "nice guy" FINALLY did win...did you see Matt on Joe Schmoe ?
    ~~~~~~
    Cheri...Reality TV and Free Stuff Fan

Reality Freebies....Real Free Stuff...Reality TV Links !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011