+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FCC or other rules governing Reality shows

FORT Newbie

FCC or other rules governing Reality shows

Does anyone know if the timings of merges and other twists on Survivor need to be predetermined or can the producers just throw them in whenever they want to jazz up the show? Are there actual laws about this? This question may have been asked and answered before but I'm new to the forum.

There was a lot of speculation about this during the airing of Paradise Hotel (whose producers seemed to change the game on whims). I think everyone was too lazy to go check though
    Hopefully someone will know on this board.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Premium Member
    Welcome Marko,
    I seriously doubt that there are any laws outlining the application of game rules on Reality TV. I think once the contestants sign-off on all of the legal mumbo jumbo, prior to the beginning of the game, then they are at the producers mercy.

, Roz. Unless there's false advertising, I doubt that they can be touched (they've been sued before, though, once for "manipulating" the game, and once for supposedly MB trying to sway votes)
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Princess
    As far as I understand they actually have to make the plan for the game before it starts. No manipulations. No "twists" to favour any contestant or group. Therefore all speculations about "they throw in that thing to favour Rupert (or anyone else)/to even the game/ etc etc" are just not true.

marko
    well you really need to look at the situation to see whether it is appropriate to have a switch in the game... probably the kidnappnig one was planned before

FORT Fan
    I think I read somewhere that the contracts the contestants sign have a clause which states that the producers can change the rules without warning, allowing for the necessary "twists", and also allowing them (the producers) to cover their butts, legally.

While I don't know if the FCC has any specific rules regarding this relatively new television genre, I'm sure the rules applied to game shows (like not being able to favor one contestant over another) would tend to apply to reality competition programs (as someone has already stated).

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    I think I read somewhere that the contracts the contestants sign have a clause which states that the producers can change the rules without warning, allowing for the necessary "twists", and also allowing them (the producers) to cover their butts, legally.

While I don't know if the FCC has any specific rules regarding this relatively new television genre, I'm sure the rules applied to game shows (like not being able to favor one contestant over another) would tend to apply to reality competition programs (as someone has already stated).
    Ok... I have just done some extensive internet searching, and my findings are somewhat inconclusive. Technically there is a rule that most people know about by the FCC that prevents people from meddling with results in a game show. Call Survivor what you will, but a reality show is another word for a game show with better ratings. Lets face it, you have contestants, and prizes... that would be a game, and it's on tv, which makes it a show... hence the term game show... MB, however has argued both sides of the argument, first that Survivor does fall under that FCC rule, and then later stated that Survivor does not fall under that FCC rule.... it would make sense that it should....

Also, here's a link to an article on Reality News Online about Stacey, the third(?) person kicked off of Survivor 1, who is suing MB, it deals with a little bit of the issue in question. Also, somewhere else on the site is an interview with Kel "the jerky man" Gleason from Survivor 2. He goes into detail about rules of the FCC in this article, particularly related to the whole beef-jerky situation.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    Ok... I have just done some extensive internet searching, and my findings are somewhat inconclusive. Technically there is a rule that most people know about by the FCC that prevents people from meddling with results in a game show. Call Survivor what you will, but a reality show is another word for a game show with better ratings. Lets face it, you have contestants, and prizes... that would be a game, and it's on tv, which makes it a show... hence the term game show... MB, however has argued both sides of the argument, first that Survivor does fall under that FCC rule, and then later stated that Survivor does not fall under that FCC rule.... it would make sense that it should....

Also, here's a link to an article on Reality News Online about Stacey, the third(?) person kicked off of Survivor 1, who is suing MB, it deals with a little bit of the issue in question. Also, somewhere else on the site is an interview with Kel "the jerky man" Gleason from Survivor 2. He goes into detail about rules of the FCC in this article, particularly related to the whole beef-jerky situation.
    Thanks for the info I figured there had to be some guidelines. Mark

+ Reply to Thread