+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious about Morgan's fishing spear

FORT Newbie

Curious about Morgan's fishing spear

Was everyone as shocked as I was when at the beginning of last night's episode we learned that Morgan has had a fishing spear but they have not attempted to use it for the first, what?, 10 days?! :boggle:

And wasn't that quite the summation of the Morgan Tribe experience that when Andrew and Ryan took off to find a cove to fish in they a) get lost and b) don't bring enough water and c) when they reach the far side a storm is coming and the wind is up and the water is too turbulent for sight fishing.

But my point of curiosity is this: Since it apparent that Morgan has had the spear, where was it when (at that point in the game) twice already Drake has been over to 'pillage' their camp and they don't appear to have noticed it? Certainly I've never heard Drake mention searching for a spear but it seems like the sort of thing that especially Christa on her trip (the tribe's second) would have noted. I'm not clear on the rules of pilaging but I thought or I would assume that a tribe cannot attempt blatently to hide their more desirable items? Might they have hidden it in plain sight, so to speak, like leaned it up close against a tree so it would escape notice?

It just strikes me funny that we haven't heard of or seen this spear before last night's episode. Can anyone illuminate me if I'm mistaken in my account.

I find it odd too, but then again Morgan strikes me as odd all the way around. They are pathetic (with the exception of a few that were never vocal enough for fear of getting voted out.... then got voted out).

Looks like Rupert will show them how to use the spear.

As for where it was during the pillaging trips... hmmm, perhaps camouflaged in the lean too some how
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I think they've had it, but had no luck with fish on their island.

What I was more concerned about was when Trish went to camp last night to take an item, and was told that the boys were off fishing. If I were Trish, I'd have said "oh yeah, fishing with what? I think I'll wait until they return and take their spear then."

Technically, they removed an item from camp, by taking it with them and leaving.

Did anyone notice if it was the same type of spear that Drake has?

I'm totally lacking in hunting and fishing skills so please bear with me when I try to explain this:

Is Morgan's spear the kind that shoots the prong thingy or is it just a regular stab something with brute strength spear? Seems to me, this would make a world of difference. The shooting one looks like it would be easier for fishing. If Morgan just has the stabber, that would go a long way in explaining why they haven't used it yet.
    Last edited by VeeJay; 10-10-2003 at 04:18 PM.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I think they've had it, but had no luck with fish on their island.

What I was more concerned about was when Trish went to camp last night to take an item, and was told that the boys were off fishing. If I were Trish, I'd have said "oh yeah, fishing with what? I think I'll wait until they return and take their spear then."

Technically, they removed an item from camp, by taking it with them and leaving.
    DOH! Thanks for pointing that out, I over looked that and forgot to get back to it... how those two took the spear with them and were out and about at the time of the 3rd pillage by Trish. Great catch. So is that how you understand the terms of the pillaging? No hiding of items or removing items from camp? Was this verbalized at some point or is it more a "spirit of the game" sort of thing? For instance, we don't know whether or not the tribe being pillaged (Morgan x3) is told exactly when the opposing tribe member is due to arrive or they aren't all required to be there necessarily, etc. Good stuff, good stuff...

I wouldn't assume from what we have seen that it isn't just the Drake spear after a successful RC. It's also possible that Morgan has their own. They also have a net they can't use either and were worried about that when they were pillaged last time. I remember Andrew carrying something that looked like a spear when they got "lost" but could have just been a walking stick he made.

It does seem funny that Drake wouldn't have grabbed the 2nd spear instead of a lantern knowing how useful it was. It's possible they just missed it. From Morgan's point of view, I think they would've traded the spear for the tarp any day since they don't know how to use it. Once Rupert shows them how, then they will treasure it.

Andrew and RyanO both were carrying the spear. It was 3-pronged, but it appears that the rubber strap on it is broken. We never saw them fishing, except when Lill lost the last hook, so I doubt they had any idea what to do with the spear because they are the "Keystone Cops" tribe. They invent ways to make things go wrong! Maybe they have been sleeping on it, and that is why they can't get any rest!!!

Oh, and does anyone recall when Ryan tried to plant the spear into the ground and was tossing it around in the best emulation of fury (temper tantrum) that he could?

It's a wonder he didn't break it.

Tribes can't hide anything in order to protect it from being pillaged. I found this information out by reading the interview on this board with Ryan S.

The spear that Morgan had must have been with them from the beginning of their stay on the island. They obviously did not win it in any competions, and Andrew and Ryan O. were carrying it last night BEFORE the reward challenge. Obviously Rupert did not take "his" spear to the RC, and even if he did (again..of course he didn't) he never would have taken it with him to the Morgan tribe, leaving the Drakes without theirs. That's not the way big Rupert operates.

The spear head look indentical to Drakes, but I didn't notice if it was broken or not.

In reply to John's comments regarding Morgan "technically" hiding the spear from the Drake pillage when Trish came over. I highly doubt this to be the case. I'm sure it was just unintentional. I say this because I doubt they had a preset time that they go over to Morgan to pillage, and the Morgan's have to be able to go about their day, and not just wait around for someone to come grab your possessions. I just see it as a bad timing thing. They left to TRY and get some fish, and Trish showed up. I'm the last person who would defend the incompetant Morgan tribe, but I just see it as a fluke that they were not there. It they were trying to pull games like that then the last pillage when Christa came over they would have been conviently at the water hole with their pots "getting water" etc.

BTW...a LONGGGG time lurker on this and other boards, but decided to respond to this thread.

Idolcritic!
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast