+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is throwing an IC pre-merge ever a good strategy?

I wouldn't throw a challenge. I think it tends to bite you, and as noted above, unless you are absolutely certain that the intended target will get hit, then you don't do it. Incidents can happen between the time of the challenge and trip to council. Those who thought they were safe can misstep and suddenly be gone. Just ask Nicole.

Plus, we might just see a mini-merge or tribe shift here, so gotta be careful about sticking your neck out.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I don't think it's a good idea to throw a challenge. The morale factor comes in to play when it relates to the Morgan tribe. Just keep plugging at them and picking them off one by one. When you legitimately lose is the time to get rid of the weakest link (Jon). There is strength in numbers so why give the other tribe a chance to weaken your tribe if you don't have to?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

I don't like the idea of throwing a challenge because of the uncertainty of the game. The teams need to focus on unity and their problems instead of taking the easy way out. Everytime someone has tried this before, it seems to have burned them. And unless you have a rock solid alliance, how do you trust people you have only known for days?

Like Jeff says, the game always changes. The tribes could be swapped or a merge could come and you always want an advantage in numbers. I have a feeling that this won't be a simple issue. If it is Jon or anyone else Drake wants out, I don't see the other 7 agreeing unless he does something really stupid. And if they don't agree, it could really split the tribe or put the instigator of this out.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

I also agree that they shouldn't throw a challenge. Wait until it happens naturally. They can always ignore the one they want gone until they have the opportunity to vote them off. (I hope they don't, just because I want to see what the next excuse Andrew pulls out of his b*tt is. )

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    No. Do not throw any challenges.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Leo, Morgan doesn't have a B team, their whole team plays in every challenge. Both teams have 3 strong males. If Drake sits out one of theirs, they're at a physical disadvantage.

Next episode Drake will sit 6 players out : 3 for RC + 3 for IC. Theoretically, if they win the next IC, the following week they would have to sit 8 players out – Rupert will have to sit out the RC or the IC. Of course, I understand this may never come to pass.

MB has other tricks up his sleeve, apart from a player swap. He has used various means to even the odds. There's no way to predict what he'll do this time – and that's my point.

I've always felt that a good Survivor knows that he is playing against 15 other players, but he is also playing against a 17th player: MB. If he takes this 17th player into account, he can plan his way to victory.

Just as a player needs to know the motivations of the other 15 castaways in order to manipulate them, he needs to take MB's motives into consideration. MB wants ratings. Ever since S1, he has never again allowed a situation to develop which may result in Pagonging.

Once a player accepts this, it's wise to play accordingly. By eliminating the possibility of Pagonging, the player eliminates the need for MB to interfere and change the rules. It's always in a player's best interests to control the game himself rather than let MB or any of the other 15 castaways take charge of the game.

Someone is going to throw Morgan a life raft. It'll either be Drake or MB.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Boran successfully threw a challenge to ditch Silas during S3, but I believe that only worked because they had agreement on who should go. You need to ensure there are no suprises at TC if you are going to deliberately throw a challenge.
    Good point, Fluff. I completely agree with you that they need to be sure that there will be no surprises at TC.

Barrett
    It can be a double edged sword but sometimes it may be better to get rid of someone (like Jon)who is dragging you down.

FORT Fogey
    On the other hand, if Jon or a few from Drake get the feeling that they are unwanted, and the merge occurs...he/they switch alliances to Morgan and then Drake is sunk. If there is a definite person to go, then perhaps not this week, but soon, it would be good for a TC before the merge.

I wouldn't ever throw a challenge, especially in anticipation of what MB might do. That man is unpredictable. What if you throw the challenge and he doesn't like that you did it and throws favor to Morgan for awhile? You just never know. Better to go with what you think you know and bring as many members as possible into a merge. Cut the dead wood later.
    Besides, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have against me in the final two than Jon. Always bring the reviled as far as possible to improve your chances.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast