+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Survivor take on cast members that are already wealthy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy Doggy
    There seems to be this perception from a lot of you guys that a rich person is a hard worker, and that anyone from a poor background is lazy......I think a lot of you guys need to wake up to some REALITY yourselves....we live in a society that makes it nearly impossible to move out of the social stratification unless you get LUCK instead of hard work.
    I don't think the comment you clipped from spegs said that at all. She was illustrating a point. Namely, if the person who wins played an excellent game, it doesn't matter to her (nor, I would gather, to many of us, including myself) whether it was Bill Gates or a shoeshine boy. Most of us who love the show want to see outstanding players, and - honestly - their economic status doesn't matter at all, nor should it figure into the game in any way.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I read it the same way Paulie did. I don't think anyone has catagorized rich people as hard workers and non wealthy people as lazy
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Foggy Doggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I don't think the comment you clipped from spegs said that at all. She was illustrating a point. Namely, if the person who wins played an excellent game, it doesn't matter to her (nor, I would gather, to many of us, including myself) whether it was Bill Gates or a shoeshine boy. Most of us who love the show want to see outstanding players, and - honestly - their economic status doesn't matter at all, nor should it figure into the game in any way.
    Well I won't win this debate I guess....I'm outnumberd, outwitted and outplayed

Foggy Doggy
    I hope you guys don't vote me off the FORT

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I've never applied due to a series of births that precluded me from leaving for any significant length of time.
    Did you have difficult labor, Paulie?

"Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Um, yeah. It was painful, as you can imagine.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

LG.
    Okay I'm gonna be in the minority here on this one, I can see that......whew !!! Okay I'll not say anymore but guys c'mon.....lets see some sympathy for those whose unfortunate social status have prevented them from trying to attain a better life for themselves and their loved ones....giving their children a chance to maybe attend a prep school and become a doctor or lawyer.
    so that you could then form an irrational prejudice against the children of these "hard working" blue collar folks just because they had the good fortune and discipline to get an education and become a doctor or a lawyer? I've read enough lawyer-bashing in this thread, I'm checking out, as I'm at this site to have fun not be personally insulted. No-one here has said that blue collar folks aren't hard working, FD. I think people who work all kinds of jobs are very hardworking. Reality TV shows, however, are often a magnet for people who work "temp" jobs while waiting for their big break in the entertainment industry, which is why I'm frustrated to see so many bartenders / actresses / or anyone brought on the show by a casting agent. No-one said that these people weren't hardworking either, they just have more than the population's average representation of the "waiting to be discovered" population and it's tiring. FD you started the negativity when you said that higher earning folks don't "deserve" to be on reality tv shows because they should be some type of charity rather than a contest. Some people agree with that point, the majority of the posters here have stated that they disagree, but don't for a minute think that white collar professionals as a group (lumped together by you) don't also work hard just because they happen to wear a suit to work. I've stated repeatedly that many attorneys that I know and work with weren't "born lawyers" and have had to save and scrape (as do their "hardworking parents" as you discussed) to be able to afford a professional degree. Paying for it is one tough part, but actually making the grades is another. Even after passing the bar, it's a tough field to get a decent job, especially if you don't have "connections" which most new lawyers do not, and even after getting a good job it's still tough work for 99% of the people in the profession with very little respect from the public. Your posts are evidence of this irrational hatred towards people who have dedicated years of their life to learning about the law. I won't sway your opinion, but I refuse to be called lazy simply because I'm an attorney. That's ludicrous. Why don't you read some books (or rent some movies) to see if you can learn more about what lawyers lives are really like before you make such sweeping generalizations and condemnations.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

There seems to be this perception from a lot of you guys that a rich person is a hard worker, and that anyone from a poor background is lazy......I think a lot of you guys need to wake up to some REALITY yourselves....we live in a society that makes it nearly impossible to move out of the social stratification unless you get LUCK instead of hard work.
    Are you saying you find it admirable for someone who is working hard to make ends meet to quit their job for a chance at one million dollars? I find that rather foolish, myself and if you desperately need money, I don't think going on a game show is a very wise decision.

I guess I just have a sour taste in my mouth from someone like Jenna that 'needed' the money to help her mother. I didn't see her work hard in the Amazon so I can only imagine her work ethic in real life mirrored that of the show.

By the way, I'm by no means weathly and I disagree that it takes a lot of luck to become that way. Hard work can get you anything you want. You may not be a millionaire, but I hate to break it to you... a year later, neither is Jenna. I'm sure we can catch her story on E! in a couple of years.

I feel really sick that LG's been personally offended. Lawyers, Doctors and other supposedly well paid professionals have to have the stamina to endure many years of schooling. Many of them sacrifice in order to put themselves through school, which is not cheap by any means. Where is the luck in that? If it were that easy there would be more doctors and lawyers, but there aren't because not everyone has that much stamina. People would much prefer to bitch and moan about what crappy jobs they have and how unfairly paid they are rather then get off their butts and DO something about it.
    Last edited by Miss Filangi; 09-03-2003 at 04:12 PM.

FORT Fan

I'd much rather see 16 hard working construction workers, firefighters, cops, office workers, steel workers who bust their asses to make ends meet, and have a chance of a lifetime to attain wealth they would never otherwise have a shot at......than see someone who has been coddled since birth with maids and prep schools and now is a fancy lawyer or doctor win more money in which they can flaunt in the face of the exploited workers.

Okay I'm gonna be in the minority here on this one, I can see that......whew !!! Okay I'll not say anymore but guys c'mon.....lets see some sympathy for those whose unfortunate social status have prevented them from trying to attain a better life for themselves and their loved ones....giving their children a chance to maybe attend a prep school and become a doctor or lawyer.

What spegs said and what I agreed to was that we would rather see people on the show who genuinely wanted to win the game for the sake of competition, not for the money. It really doesn't matter to me what the financial status of any player is as far as I'm concerned. To paraphrase spegs, I would also rather see a poor person who played the game win, than a rich person who had no strategy and lucked into it.

And as far as your allusions that people posting in this thread are saying that rich people are hard workers while those who are poor are lazy, I certainly did not say that, nor did anyone else. I think a post a while back may have made reference to a wealthy person working hard to gain a "leg up" in life, but it was merely a reply to your insinuation that wealthy people are given advantages through life strictly based on education or social status. No one on this thread ever said that poor people are lazy. Perhaps an apology is in order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast