+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Should Survivor take on cast members that are already wealthy ?

Ugh, LG! Actor wannabes are the worst! They don't care about their performance in the game as much as they care about their perception and how the appearance on the show will further their desires to break into the entertainment industry. I much prefer the players who have a strategy and want to win. I'll take 16 of those, please, regardless of their income status.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Foggy Doggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    That is an excellent comment. I agree 100%. It's always angered me to hear people use that as a rationale for voting someone out. I know people are always looking for reasons to vote someone out, but this one is the dumbest of all.

I also agree with you, tmcrae, that for most of the folks who are really competing to win the game, you could remove the million dollar prize at the end and they'd still want to beat everyone else in the game. I've often thought about applying for the show, and my primary motivation would be to play the game. I'm not rich, and I could use a million dollars like anyone else could, but my interest in applying is so I could play the game and beat everyone else.
    In Britain, they did this and it was one of the spawns of the whole "reality survival" genre. I forget what the name was, but I watched it on BBC America 3 or 4 years ago...it was set in Greenland or someplace VERY VERY cold and the folks were isolated in a bunker type atmospehere, not for a money prize, and I don't believe anyone was voted out. But they had people of all kinds of backgrounds (a nobleman, very poor people, etc) all living together and it was called a "social experiement".

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcrae
    Carl (S2) was voted out of his tribe because he was a dentist with a nice car.

Oops. Sorry about the typo. Carl was in Africa (S3), not Australia (S2).

FORT Fan
    Ugh, LG! Actor wannabes are the worst! They don't care about their performance in the game as much as they care about their perception and how the appearance on the show will further their desires to break into the entertainment industry. I much prefer the players who have a strategy and want to win. I'll take 16 of those, please, regardless of their income status.
    to both LG and Paulie!

FORT Fan
    That is an excellent comment. I agree 100%. It's always angered me to hear people use that as a rationale for voting someone out. I know people are always looking for reasons to vote someone out, but this one is the dumbest of all.

I also agree with you, tmcrae, that for most of the folks who are really competing to win the game, you could remove the million dollar prize at the end and they'd still want to beat everyone else in the game. I've often thought about applying for the show, and my primary motivation would be to play the game. I'm not rich, and I could use a million dollars like anyone else could, but my interest in applying is so I could play the game and beat everyone else.
    Thanks Paulie. BTW, have you ever applied for Survivor, or would it be just too difficult to schedule a prolonged absence from work, family etc.?

As a Canadian, I cannot apply.

I've never applied due to a series of births that precluded me from leaving for any significant length of time. I'd consider applying to a future edition, though. The only part I'd really dislike is the suffering.

I'm also not much of a swimmer.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I'd rather see a rich person who played the game win, than a poor person who had no strategy and lucked into it.

As far as the aspiring actor/models out there--as long as they don't win I don't mind them playing. It makes me feel less guilty when I enjoy their suffering.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    I'd rather see a rich person who played the game win, than a poor person who had no strategy and lucked into it.
    Well put, spegs!

As far as the aspiring actor/models out there--as long as they don't win I don't mind them playing. It makes me feel less guilty when I enjoy their suffering.
    I agree totally!!

Foggy Doggy
    There seems to be this perception from a lot of you guys that a rich person is a hard worker, and that anyone from a poor background is lazy......I think a lot of you guys need to wake up to some REALITY yourselves....we live in a society that makes it nearly impossible to move out of the social stratification unless you get LUCK instead of hard work.

I'd much rather see 16 hard working construction workers, firefighters, cops, office workers, steel workers who bust their asses to make ends meet, and have a chance of a lifetime to attain wealth they would never otherwise have a shot at......than see someone who has been coddled since birth with maids and prep schools and now is a fancy lawyer or doctor win more money in which they can flaunt in the face of the exploited workers.

Okay I'm gonna be in the minority here on this one, I can see that......whew !!! Okay I'll not say anymore but guys c'mon.....lets see some sympathy for those whose unfortunate social status have prevented them from trying to attain a better life for themselves and their loved ones....giving their children a chance to maybe attend a prep school and become a doctor or lawyer.

Foggy Doggy
    By the way....since when did they start allowing "casting agents" to infiltrate into the shows ? UGH !!!!! That is awful...I agree with you guys. It should be confined to those that apply.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast