+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are the asians?

Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Thank you Modesty. I agree, it does seem more reasonable when given the statistics. Glad you looked that up.
    Thanks, SG. It's really one of my fav sites, so not so hard for me to find .

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    The ethnic distribution in US: (CIA ): white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000).

Given this, I don't think that it's unreasonable that only 2 asians have participated so far. Had it been 1000 participants, it should be closer to 4%.

(ETA, 4 % - not 4 persons)
    Hmm, what about the hispanics?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I wondered the same thing about the hispanic percentage. I've heard it marked as high as 19-something. And with only 2 that I remember on Survivor, they're definitely "below quota".

I don't personally care about skin color in my contestants, I just want to see someone I can root for, whatever their persuasion.

OK, there have been 7 shows at 16 survivors each for 112 people total. If we use 110% as an estimate and we take Modesty's percentages to be correct, it's obvious that there should have been 5 asians statistically, not 2. Of course, this is a TV show so I down think MB cares all that much. I personally think there should be more fat people on the show..........

Dating shows and Survivor are truly different types of shows, so I don't like to compare.

However, on Survivor, all I care about is did they come to play the damn game. Color is irrelevant to me in that regard.
    Last edited by Bill; 10-29-2003 at 06:42 PM.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    I assumed the Hispanics are in the "other" cathegory - unless they are counted as "white" .
    SurvivorPirate - it's not "my" percentages, but CIA's.
    I don't think it's "wrong" that there have been only 2 asians - there's just not enough statistical material yet. As I said - if the percentage would still be only 2% after 1000 participants, I would think it was wrong, but after 100, no.

I'm having trouble understanding how it's a TV show's producer's responsibility to accurately reflect the population's ethnic makeup/skin color percentages.

As has been said in this thread, all I care about is what kind of Survivor player a contestant is.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Rab
    I thought Kel from S2 was Asian but I could be wrong (or at least half Asian).

It's probably an unwritten rule that at least one African American has to be on the show or else everything thinks the show is racist, but what about all the other minorities?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    I'm having trouble understanding how it's a TV show's producer's responsibility to accurately reflect the population's ethnic makeup/skin color percentages.

As has been said in this thread, all I care about is what kind of Survivor player a contestant is.
    I couldn't agree more. I want the producers to concentrate on getting interesting contestants, not concern themselves with trying to get a statistics analyst involved.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Newbie
    Hispanics are usually included in the white category of most demographics. Sometimes you will see, them separated as White (Non-Hispanic) and Hispanic. It appears in the figures shown they are included in White.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast