+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luxury Items

Princess

Luxury Items

Hi Everybody,
    This is my first post, so please don't be too hard on me...
    I discovered reality TV just this last spring when I happened to watch the first episode of Survivor Marquesas. Needless to say, I got completely hooked on it. (Note, I hadn't watched even 1 sec of the previous seasons!).
    Anyhow, beeing a newbie, I might be wondering about things already discussed in ep. 1 or so, but anyway:
    Why do people bring such silly luxury items??? Anyone who's been travelling around a bit knows that getting ***clean*** makes you feel soooo refreshed and re-energised!! The only one bringing that kind of item is Ted (shaving kit). If I would go there, I would bring either shampoo (note all the posts about women's hair!), or toothbrush&toothpaste (note the posts about Ghandia and the sand...), or soap or....
    Also, the contestants are complaining about being exhausted due to mal(no)nutrition (after 10 days...!!), couldn't they bring the luxury item "vitamine pills"?? 100 "Once a Day", would get the entire team going a long time!
    Really...., fuzzy slippers..., c'mon, it's rainy, it's sandy.... (not to mention skateboards.... )

OK. Been spending more time than I'd like to admit reading **all** message boards/recaps/precaps/etc/etc, but this is the one that I found to be the best!!

PS: Pls - how do I get the smiles into my message??

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Modesty, welcome to the FORT !!

And welcome to the Survivor addictions club!

To get smilies in your posts click on the icons to the left when you create a new thread or reply to one. (click on "more" to see all of the options as well as what they are named)
    You can also type a ":" and then the smilie name. For instance when I put the wavy guy at the top of this post I typed : and then immediately after that "hiya" (without the quotations).

"They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Oh, and also for the winks and general smiles you just type it like you would a normal emoticon. For instance, a wink is a semi-colon and an end paren.

; )

If I take out the space between the 2, I get
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Hi Modesty!
    I have no idea why the contestants choose some of the items they do
    I think that they have to list three that they would like to bring, and that some one at Survivor decides which one makes the cut. Still, I could think of at least three reasonable items.
    I sure am glad you found us, and I hope you stick around to share your thoughts on all things Survivor
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LG.
    Welcome Modesty.

Regardingt the luxury items, there is a rule against bringing items which are too helpful or useful. I've read somewhere that survivor candidates make a list of 10 items they'd consider bringing and then the producers pick which one they're allowed to bring, and the producers are big on items which make the survivors look better, like razors and makeup items.

Apparently the producers were quite upset when they realized that a really large Texas flag (brought by Colby in S2) was being used as a shelter in Australia as it was against the spirit of them being solely luxury items, and Colby was later forced to trade away his flag for food for the tribe because it irritated Burnette to see it in all the shots, making a fine shelter. They aren't allowed to bring lighters, bow and arrow, etc., anything deemed "too useful".

I think you'll find the FORT a fun and welcoming place inhabited by reality tv junkies.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

oops. looks like Lurkinggirl and I posted at the same time! I would definitely take her word for it on the number of things they can list as "wanna haves"
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Apparently the producers were quite upset when they realized that a really large Texas flag (brought by Colby in S2) was being used as a shelter in Australia as it was against the spirit of them being solely luxury items
    I think that's bogus. They let him bring it....if they weren't smart enough to foresee that it could be useful than shame on them, not Colby!

Welcome, Modesty! Hope you're not too modest!

I always thought a sneaky luxury item would be steel wool. I understand it burns easily and rather ferociously.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sounds WAY too useful Paulie

They like you to bring ridiculous things like a skateboard (though I was wondering if that could possible be used as some sort of hauling device somewhere..)

You know they did allow Pasqual from S4 to bring the U.S. flag. I wonder why they didn't tell him anything.

And Welcome Modesty! Glad you found us.
    The more the merrier!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast