+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luxury Items

I think the only reason P was allowed to bring the American flag was because of Sept.11.No way MB was going to veto that.

I think that they try to pick useless items from lists to influence our opinions of the contestants.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

Great idea for a thread Modesty. Welcome aboard

I would be curious to know what you guys would include on your top ten list of luxury items were you to apply for Survivor...
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I'd bring a picture of my wife & daughter. But since nobody's brought pix yet, they're probably not allowed. Lex brought his son's first shoes. Something like that would be nice.

Princess
    Cool - thanks for all replies!

I've read somewhere that survivor candidates make a list of 10 items they'd consider bringing and then the producers pick which one they're allowed to bring, and the producers are big on items which make the survivors look better, like razors and makeup items.
    OK, that explains a lot!! Robb probably didn't really want to bring his skateboard, he was simply cast as the "skateboard kid" (on the other hand, given what we've seen of him so far, who knows?? :
    And they obviously didn't want us to see a bearded Ted!
    It would be kind of interesting to see the entire list for all participants...
    My own top 10? I need to think about that...

As for flags, pastor John brought a "Christian flag" (did we ever see it?), so flags are OK. I believe it's a matter of size! (Clay's was obviously huge, but Paschal's was pretty small, as I recall).

joodar - they are allowed to bring pictures, both Ghandia and Jan has them. (Didn't Vecepia too?) Me, I would find it a bit demoralizing to bring something that constantly reminds you of what you are missing - I'd rather bring something like pics of my dirty laundry, dirty dishes, dustballs, ...

Paulie - no, I'm afraid no one has ever accused me of being too modest (yet) ....

I'd rather bring something like pics of my dirty laundry, dirty dishes, dustballs

Welcome to the FORT, Modesty!

You're right, John did bring his Christian Flag, and he also noted in an interview that when he got approval to bring the flag, he had a big one waterproofed and had grommets installed all the way around it. He was definitely thinking toward shelter.

The reason you didn't see it was because they had the cave, so shelter wasn't a problem.

I think the most helpful luxury item is the journal. Jake has it this year, so we'll see if it does him any good. Vee had it last year, and it almost assured her victory at the Fallen Comrades challenge, which got her into either the F3 or F4, can't remember.

I agree with John...having seen the show now (as I'm sure almost anyone who will be on future versions will have done), people should know that a journal of some sort is invaluable...

And, to the FORT, Modesty!

Originally posted by Modesty
    Cool - thanks for all replies!

joodar - they are allowed to bring pictures, both Ghandia and Jan has them. (Didn't Vecepia too?) Me, I would find it a bit demoralizing to bring something that constantly reminds you of what you are missing - I'd rather bring something like pics of my dirty laundry, dirty dishes, dustballs, ...
    Thanks, Modesty. I didn't realize people brought pix. I don't think I've seen any of them on camera yet. I really couldn't think of a better item to bring. Day 30, starved to death, can't move, stressed out, which would you rather have? A pic of your smiling 2 year old or a frisbee? Tough call for some, but it would be a no brainer for me. Still, I understand why some people would try to avoid thinking about family. Getting homesick could really kill your spirits.

LG.
    Jodaar, get a picture of your smiling 2 year old printed onto a frisbee, then you can have both. I think Vee's "Journal" had family pictures in it, and I remember in S1 (yes, I've been watching this forever) a "fallen comrades" challenge involved showing the final 4 pictures of Jenna's 2 kids and Kelly was the only one that knew both their names from the pictures (they didn't specify that they were Jenna's kids) or something like that, indicating that Jenna had the pictures with her, and it was up to each Survivor to get to know Jenna well enough to see her picture of her kids and know their names. Kelly kicked ass at that challenge, and Vee took a lesson from Kelly and wrote down everything she learned about her fellow survivors in her journal, a good idea.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Welcome Modesty!
    I'm new here as well - just joined last week - and I think you'll find that the folks here are very friendly!

As for the luxury items, as I recall on the application (yes, I was nutty enough to apply for S3) they asked applicants to list 3 potential luxury items. I think they also asked WHY you'd bring each item. If they think someone would be clever enough to come up with a use for something that the producers couldn't figure out, I don't know why they think the contestant would be stupid enough to actually tell them why it would be useful - never really understood that one. :

modesty! welcome to the FORT!

wouldn't it be funny if all of the items on robb's list were really logical, like vitamins, razor, shampoo, soap, etc and he couldn't think of a 10th, so jokingly he put "10. skateboard."? i can see the producers now... "let's make this guy look like an ever BIGGER idiot!" APPROVED: skateboard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast