+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sandi "Pepa" Denton

Sandi "Pepa" Denton

From St James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture

At a time when hip-hop music was shunned by mainstream radio, Salt-n-Pepa broke through in 1986 with their multi-platinum crossover debut, Hot, Cool and Vicious. Along with Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys, Salt-n-Pepa were among the first hip-hop groups to be heard on a wide scale outside American urban centers during the mid-1980s. The Queens, New York-based Salt-n-Pepa also were the first all-female hip-hop group to gain commercial success in a genre dominated by men, opening doors for such female hip-hop artists like MC Lyte, Yo-Yo, Foxy Brown, Lil' Kim, Lauryn Hill, Lady of Rage, Missy Elliot, Queen Latifah, Bahamadia, Heather B, and others. Further, in a genre where the life of a hip-hop career is about one year, Salt-n-Pepa persevered, continued to have hits, and were still active well into the late 1990s.

Formed in 1985 under the name Super Nature, Cheryl "Salt" James, Sandy "Pepa" Denton, and their Sears department store coworker turned producer Hurby "Luv Bug" Azor released a minor hit called "The Show Stoppa," an answer record to the Doug E. Fresh hit, "The Show." Super Nature's song reached number 46 on the Billboard R&B singles chart, making enough of a name for the group to perform in local New York clubs. The women changed the group's name to Salt-n-Pepa and added a DJ named Spinderella (Pamela Greene, who was later replaced by Deidre "Dee Dee" Roper). Salt-n-Pepa signed to the independent hip-hop label Next Plateau and released Hot, Cool and Vicious in 1986. The album sold successfully with a number of singles doing well on the R&B charts, but it was not until a remix of "Push It" was released in 1988 that Salt-n-Pepa were launched into the mainstream of pop music.

Okay, not a good picture of the Pepa (are you sure that's not a shot of a female impersonator of her?), but how can I not love the woman, she's a frickin' legend of rap. Respek! Push it! P-push it real good!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

The really sad thing is out of the Pepa pics at the official site that one was the most flattering.

Looks like someone forgot to put on her pants before they snapped the picture.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    I'm with Snowy and IW. Years ago I had the opportunity to see Salt n Pepa in concert with NWA. During the concert met I Pepa backstage. Although she may not be a beauty externally, she was a very nice person. I suspect we'll see more of that on SL. I'm willing to bet she's a lot nicer than Da Brat was. And, as has been already mentioned, she's a REAL rap legend.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    one of them did a spread in Mayfair magazine. sort of a british version of playboy, I remember thinking...."Not a bad looking babe"

She was awesome on the first episode. She seems so sweet and sincere. She and Cary Hart are probably the only person that is normal in the house.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    PEPA IS HOT!!! I loved her. As ANT said, she and Cary are the only two normal humans in the cast.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fan
    She definitely seems the most level headed and normal of the cast so far.

I can't believe she just sat there when Janice told her to "get to the point". That is definately one calm person.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast