+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rob Van Winkle

Rob Van Winkle

[IMG]images/img/SU-BA-RVWinkle_2x3_240.jpeg[/IMG]

The Iceman Returns. In addition to his role in The WB's second installment of The Surreal Life, Rob Van Winkle - a.k.a. "Vanilla Ice" - returns with a brand new album and a brand new attitude.

Hard-nosed and harder-edge, Bi-Polar, a double CD packaged as one and presented in two parts - Skabz and Tha System - is Ice's first disc in three years, and the proof is in the industrial-strength grooves he's laid down. It's a massive attack: the Iceman is back - with a vengeance.

It was just over a decade ago that Ice first stormed the music scene with his monster debut album, To The Extreme, which was certified 7x platinum a mere four months after its release and went on to sell 15 million records worldwide.

One of those just-right-for-its-time pop culture phenomena, "Extreme" topped the charts at #1 for 18 weeks. The ever-present "Ice, Ice Baby" was a platinum-plus single, and another single, "Play That Funky Music White Boy," went solid gold. Black or white, GRAMMY®-nominated, People's Choice Awards-laden Ice was the hottest rapper in the land, on top of the world. Or so you would think.

Soon enough, the trappings of instant success and the glare of the spotlight melted Ice down. It wasn't all wave riders and parties at his sunny south Florida mansion. There was the critical backlash, the "playa hatin'," the self-destructive abuse, the violence, the follow-ups that didn't live up. V-Ice went through some very dark times before coming out on the other end with a new commitment to life and to working through its often-harsh realities. Ice credits a personal connection to God, his marriage and two daughters, along with an approach to making records that helped exorcise his demons. Ice now describes his music as "emotional therapy caught on tape."

Bi-Polar, on BMG-distributed Liquid 8 Records, is made up of 24 original tracks in a two-part opus. Ice teamed back up with Executive Producer/Manager Tommy Quon to record the new album. Produced by Ice, Bi-Polar features a who's who of rap, rock and hip-hop masters lending their flavas. Chuck D., Insane Clown Posse, former Slipknot-er Josh Brainard and Wu-Tang's LA Tha Darkman all contributed to the project.

Ever since "Ice, Ice Baby," life has been a wild and crazy ride, and on his latest work, Ice has managed to translate that experience into an explosive new sound.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    and lets not forget how he was successfully sued over both those songs for stealing the music for "ice, ice baby" and "play that funky music white boy"

And dangled over the balcony of his hotel room by one of Suge Knight's boys

I saw a clip of him on this show on Sharon Osborne.
    He's a nutter.
    "That's Numberwang!"

This season might be painful. Vanilla Ice? oh boy, here we go.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Vanilla ICE . . .ICE . . .BABY now, its more WASHED OUT . .STAR . .STAR . .BABY . .and yes I know it didn't rhyme.

I think that he started to make money from racing. I wonder what kind of temperment he'll have. I see him breaking something. Oh, didn't he lose the boxing match from the older son from Different Strokes?

I think he'll be fun to watch. Remember when he dated Madonna a few times? I think she dumped him when his popularity faded. Or did I dream that?

He was a motocross racer, until he broke both of his ankles a couple of times, and the doc told him if he did it one more time, he probably wouldn't walk again. So he quit, and in a natural course of events, became a rapper. :rolleyes

Last time I saw him was on a Friar's Club Roast. He's apparently a member.

I know he already tried to stage a comeback when grunge was in. All of a sudden he was sporting a goatee and had a hard rock kind of sound. I don't think he set the world on fire. :rolleyes
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Good god... I hope he shuts... up.... baby....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast