+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rob Van Winkle

LOL I had it too! Damn it, now I'm gonna get subpoena'd. :sob
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I can't get over what a bully he is. He just went way to far with Gary on the latest episode. Then he bitches and complains about his picture on the wall and wanting everyone to forget his past yet he couldn't understand why Gary didn't want to say "Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis" WTH?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    As much as I'm pained to admit it, I once owned a copy of Thriller. I believe that, according to Skwadim's logic, I'm contractually obligated to take the stand in Jacko's defense now.
    Straw manning once again.

You are contractually obliged to admit that you were a part of his success, and it would be very hypocritical for you to categorically despise him (and his famous status) in a GENERAL SENSE.

This case is a very specific instance, with specific documents and attorneys and witnesses and testimony. Believing in his guilt or innocence really has nothing to do with the general complaint that "he's a freak" or "he's weird" or "how the hell did he become famous?"

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    So, Millie Vanilli (the band) should still be adored by the same fans who made them win The Grammy award? (was it a Grammy? Can't remember..) Anyway...
    they're the same fans who sky-rocketted them to fame, only to find out that they never sung a single lyric to these songs. Should they still adore them?
    Thats totally different. Again, its a very SPECIFIC complaint in the Milli Vanilli case (they were a part of a fraud) In fact, the very basis of the support was demolished, of course any support for them should be recanted (support for the true singers, should, however be acknowledged)

And you're right, if people felt betrayed by the fact that V. Ice lied about his upbringing, and thats the primary source of disrespect, all power to them. But cmon how many people fall into that category?

My guess not many, because, to be honest this is the first time I've even heard of this charge.

Skwad, I don't get what point you are making.I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it just seems as though you are saying we can't dislike him now if we liked him back in the day. If that's the case I have to disagree. I have 3 friends that I have been friends with since age 4 or 5. Now, I've had other friends, but things change and we don't hang. I meet new people etc. I read what you are saying to mean that if I liked those people in 3rd grade, I should still like them. I just don't understand.
    Again, I'm not trying to be a pain, I just think it is perfectly logical and OK for someone who had Vanilla ice posters in their room to call him an ASS now for his behavior on the show.

OH Yourfired, I completely missed your entire post about ice's treatment of Gary... just wanted to say I agree 100%

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Skwad, I don't get what point you are making.I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it just seems as though you are saying we can't dislike him now if we liked him back in the day. If that's the case I have to disagree. I have 3 friends that I have been friends with since age 4 or 5. Now, I've had other friends, but things change and we don't hang. I meet new people etc. I read what you are saying to mean that if I liked those people in 3rd grade, I should still like them. I just don't understand.
    Again, I'm not trying to be a pain, I just think it is perfectly logical and OK for someone who had Vanilla ice posters in their room to call him an ASS now for his behavior on the show.
    Well, Cal, since you're so nice to ask politely, I can clarify. What you're talking about is a little different. I take it you and your friends were more or less "lateral" to each other in your "support"

But support for someone like Ice is unilateral. Essentially, the public supports and likes him but he doesn't like us in the same way. (to him, we are simply 'the fans')

And of course people can be critical of his behavior in specific instances and circumstances, irrrespective of their earlier beliefs, it would be unreasonable to expect otherwise, how can anyone know "in 10 years this guy is gonna pick up Arnold and try deep fry him". ?

But here's my point, people shouldn't disavow that they at one point supported him (if they in fact did), and then dismiss him as a general baffoon, a loser, a hasbeen, etc, just because it's become trendy.

It's like MTV did this show once (a long time ago), where they had Ice on, and they had a copy of his video - and smashed it to bits, saying "they finally lay it to rest." Hello? This was the same network that 6 years earlier was playing this video on 40 minute rotations and making loads of moolah off of it..

I personally think free will and the ability to change our minds on a whim is what makes us human. I embrace that ability. I act on it whenever I'm feeling the need.

If I want to bitch about Rob, I'll bitch about Rob. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether I used to like him or not. If he's a jerk, he's a jerk, and I'll call it like I see it.

I guess that's where our difference is. You feel some obligation to remain "true" to your original feelings, and I (and apparently almost all others here) feel no such obligation.

I don't think any one here has disavowed him

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    I don't think any one here has disavowed him
    I don't remember saying anyone here has?

But here's my point, people shouldn't disavow that they at one point supported him (if they in fact did), and then dismiss him as a general baffoon, a loser, a hasbeen, etc, just because it's become trendy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then who are you talking about "disavowing" him? Even if someone HAS disavowed him, why can't they? When did "disavowing" become trendy?

Are you defending him AS A SINGER? Even if you were, it all makes no sense anyway.
    But with us..we're watching him BE HIMSELF on a reality show. We're not saying we don't like him because he SUCKS AS A SINGER...we're saying HE SUCKS IN GENERAL. We're allowed the freedom to draw our own conclusions in regards to anyone that goes on a reality show..and he's no exception.

Yes, he WAS a poser back in the day, saying he was born in an all black neighborhood, struggled and learned how to "get by" with rap. The fans found out, and that's why ALOT of "fans" turned their backs on him. I also believe that's why he's so damned angry about his Vanilla Icicle past..cause he was given so much shit about his own lies, that he can't handle "the memories" of the embarrassment.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast