+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Rob Van Winkle

  1. #21
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    145
    To all the people dissing the song Ice Ice Baby, I went to college in upstate new york. Two girls from towns with populations that can barely populate a hockey stadium knew the lyrics DOWN COLD.

    These people made Vanilla Ice what he is. And now the same people wanna bring him down? Hypocrasy to the extreme.

  2. #22
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    I don't get what your point is. Are you bitching about Rob's plight, or about us bitching about Rob's plight?

    I know the lyrics for "Don't Worry, Be Happy" down cold, too, but that doesn't mean I give a flying crap what happens to whoever sang the song, or whether he's happy or worried these days.

  3. #23
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I know the lyrics for "Don't Worry, Be Happy" down cold, too, but that doesn't mean I give a flying crap what happens to whoever sang the song, or whether he's happy or worried these days.
    Exactly you are orthogonal, but there are people out there that call him a has been and a loser and a this and a that, most probably from the midwest (the midwest made Vanilla Ice, largest selling rap record in history), and they are the very people who supported him.

    Bunch of bandwaggoners are what they are.

  4. #24
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    But VI *is* a has-been, a was-there-for-a-flash, a good punchline for a joke, and I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that except maybe him.

    Being from the Midwest myself, I can tell you that I sang along a couple of times hearing this on the radio.

    Does this mean I have to exempt myself from taking part in the making-fun process? I sure as hell hope not.

  5. #25
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    But VI *is* a has-been, a was-there-for-a-flash, a good punchline for a joke, and I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that except maybe him.

    Being from the Midwest myself, I can tell you that I sang along a couple of times hearing this on the radio.

    Does this mean I have to exempt myself from taking part in the making-fun process? I sure as hell hope not.
    No not at all, just as long as you include yourself as part of the "punchline for a joke" (as a one time supporter), how much you include yourself is commensurate to how much you supported / "were into" him.

    Probably "sang along a couple of times" doesn't amount to much support.

    We do this all the time, we look at old pictures of ourselves and say "what were we thinking?" But I know a lot of people that scorn Ice, Hammer, Michael Jackson even, and act like they had nothing to do with those people getting to where they were.

  6. #26
    I want more jules77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bee Cee
    Age
    45
    Posts
    249
    I didn't like him then and I don't like him now so I don't feel bad dissin' him one bit.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

  7. #27
    He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In front of my TIVO
    Posts
    2,083
    Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    To all the people dissing the song Ice Ice Baby, I went to college in upstate new york. Two girls from towns with populations that can barely populate a hockey stadium knew the lyrics DOWN COLD.

    These people made Vanilla Ice what he is. And now the same people wanna bring him down? Hypocrasy to the extreme.
    I for one wasn't dissing the song. I used to love it. I think it is the artist himself who is dissing it. I said he should be proud he has a place in pop culture history. He did good work and shouldn't run from it.

    Donnie Wahlberg doesn't run from his days in NKOTB. He's proud of it because it helped make him into who he is today. Rob should be the same way.

    Like Erik said, until you learn to laugh at yourself, you won't truly be happy.

    Have you even watched the show? Did you not see him mark out his old pictures on the wall? Did you not see how he whines about hating being reminded of the old days? The only person trying to tear down Ice for that song is Ice.......excuse me Rob!

  8. #28
    He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In front of my TIVO
    Posts
    2,083
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I don't get what your point is. Are you bitching about Rob's plight, or about us bitching about Rob's plight?

    I know the lyrics for "Don't Worry, Be Happy" down cold, too, but that doesn't mean I give a flying crap what happens to whoever sang the song, or whether he's happy or worried these days.
    Bobby McPharin.........another guy with his own place in pop culture. Thanks a lot. Now, I'm going to be singing DWBH all week. LOL

  9. #29
    Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    To all the people dissing the song Ice Ice Baby, I went to college in upstate new york. Two girls from towns with populations that can barely populate a hockey stadium knew the lyrics DOWN COLD.

    These people made Vanilla Ice what he is. And now the same people wanna bring him down? Hypocrasy to the extreme.
    Don't forget that the fans who adored his music (or should I say SONG) and made him popular, are the ones who also made him UNPOPULAR.
    He said he was raised in an all black neighborhood, and that's where he learned to rap. Come to find out, he never was raised in an all black neighborhood...he was lying. He's been ridiculed by his fans for a long time for being a poser. By no means did the fans MAKE him lie to them...HE lied to his fans.

    So, Millie Vanilli (the band) should still be adored by the same fans who made them win The Grammy award? (was it a Grammy? Can't remember..) Anyway...
    they're the same fans who sky-rocketted them to fame, only to find out that they never sung a single lyric to these songs. Should they still adore them?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

  10. #30
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    As much as I'm pained to admit it, I once owned a copy of Thriller. I believe that, according to Skwadim's logic, I'm contractually obligated to take the stand in Jacko's defense now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.