+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/19 show thread

1/19 show thread

Hi, everyone... too much on tonight, so I think I'll bail on this. I'd appreciate PBP from anyone who's still into it.

Re: 1/19 show thread

Wow dead board

Well I just turned on to the show 20 minutes ago. Saw South African soloist dance to a mix of African drums and ballet music. She got eliminated and three soloists are left. Dunno who is in the lead.

China...martial arts and dance, it actually goes together. Team China just eliminated Team South Africa. No more South Africans.

I thought it was a complete crock that the soloist from Argentina got two tens for shaking her "stuff" all over the stage. If she had actually done some dancing between the shimmies that would have been different but she seemed almost awkward in her transitions. The male judges who gave her tens basically said they were scoring her sex appeal and not her dancing! She should have just taken her barre and turned it vertical.

Now the Irish judge just said he was scoring the magic/ballroom couple on their entertainment value rather than dance! Although I agree they were entertaining, I think this show has dropped all pretense of scoring on dance technique. I like a lot of the dancers for entertainment, but I do not believe that most are the best their countries have to offer. With each episode this show just turns into more of a hot mess.

The South African judge is the only one being honest IMO. He has given the two lowest scores I have seen tonight - a 5 and a 4.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I really wanted to get into this show, but I thought it was going to have too busy of a format when I read about it. I love anything dance, and was really excited about seeing some of the more cultural aspects of dancing. But I think watching formats like DWTS, AI, SYTYCD, it's hard to go from that type of format where you get to know contestants on a personal level and have a say in the process and then go to this. I think there were too many couples/dancers and not enough time to get to know them. So who to root for? I'm in agreement with those who think they should have put all the dance styles (group, soloists, and couples) together. Flatley doesn't impress me as a host, and I forgot there was even a co-host. Plus, something needed to be tweaked with the judging. I respect they wanted a different format and it looked like a neat concept to have one from every nation represented. But it's been bias, and I don't like the lack of explanations in scoring. I think it would have been better to not have as many judges or have them come from countries not represented.

And out of curiousity, how did they decide which nations to have represented?

I hadn't seen the full Irish group before. They were outstanding!! I will be sorry to see the Australian group out, but I think these guys deserve to get into the final!!

ETA: Although the Chinese monks are interesting, I have a hard time seeing it as dancing. I wish the Chinese team would have gotten dropped in favor of the Irish and the Australian teams.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3283571;
    ...Plus, something needed to be tweaked with the judging. I respect they wanted a different format and it looked like a neat concept to have one from every nation represented. But it's been bias, and I don't like the lack of explanations in scoring. I think it would have been better to not have as many judges or have them come from countries not represented.
    I agree. The judging seemed like a joke to me. I hated that they didn't have time to get explanations from all the judges. I would have preferred fewer judges, all from unrepresented countries.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-19-2009 at 09:59 PM.

FORT Fogey

The Irish dancers do the same dance everytime. They tweak it different ways but it is always that clogging/stepping deal. They have no other dances in Ireland? I find them boring.

This is a very odd show. I doubt these dancers are the best the country has to offer and the choreography is not that outstanding outside of the US and Australia. We have been spoiled with SYTYCD.

The judging is ridiculously arbitrary as evidenced by the 10's the "stripper" got. There was no criteria whatsoever.

The Australian and South African judge gave some genuine critique and seemed to have a judging standard for themselves. The Chinese judge never varies his scores and does not appear to be enjoying himself in the least.

I was surprised to see them score the South African soloist so low. I really liked her dance.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3284062;
    The Irish dancers do the same dance everytime. They tweak it different ways but it is always that clogging/stepping deal. They have no other dances in Ireland? I find them boring.
    I also wondered if they are allowed to do any other dance in Ireland!
    However, I don't see this type of dancing all that often, so I'm not bored by it yet!!

The judges on this show is a joke, there is no credibility in this show at all.

"I'm a hot blooded man, so you get a 10 since youre a half naked girl dancing!"

What the h#@$ is that!? That is not a legitimate reason to just give someone a ten, that's ludicrous, after I saw that, I changed the channel, don't think I'll continue to watch this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3283549;
    I thought it was a complete crock that the soloist from Argentina got two tens for shaking her "stuff" all over the stage. If she had actually done some dancing between the shimmies that would have been different but she seemed almost awkward in her transitions. The male judges who gave her tens basically said they were scoring her sex appeal and not her dancing! She should have just taken her barre and turned it vertical.

Now the Irish judge just said he was scoring the magic/ballroom couple on their entertainment value rather than dance! Although I agree they were entertaining, I think this show has dropped all pretense of scoring on dance technique. I like a lot of the dancers for entertainment, but I do not believe that most are the best their countries have to offer. With each episode this show just turns into more of a hot mess.
    Yeah, but I LOVED that one part (edited in, no doubt) where the camera cut from her shaking her @ss while bending over a pole, to a mom in the audience covering her little boy's eyes.

I laughed. I cried. I sat far more uncomfortably in my seat than that boy probably could at his current age.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast