+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 Premiere Episode *~Spoilers~*

Re: 1/4 Premiere Episode *~Spoilers~*

And WHY is a monk sitting in as a Chinese judge? Are they TRYING to create an international incident???
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Premium Member

So which two teams got the boot? I agree with most posters this show is biased and some of the dancing is Meh at best.

Are we doing tonight's comments on last night's message thread? I have not seen tonight's yet. On last night's show I thought the Irish soloist and the Indian duet were the most entertaining. I don't know why the Indian girls got such low scores. I also did not think the Argentinian soloist was that great, and do not like the Argentinian judge.

I liked the Russian judge; it was cute that he was making jokes.

I cannot fathom why they gave the Chinese team such high scores. The Irish team was more precise, the American pair was more athletic, and the African team was more rhythmic, so what made them think the Chinese were so great, or even that what they were doing was "dancing"?

I did not like that the first things the hostess said were in Spanish, as she is supposed to be Miss USA, not Miss Mexico.

I thought the Irish team got too high of scores, as their routine was just a pale snippet of Lord of the Dance (the soloist did it better).

MRD

I haven't read all the comments and we just watched the first show a day late, but I have to say I was really disappointed.
    So many of the dancers didn't really dance but did some choreographed poses to music.
    I liked the S. African group and was surprised they got such low scores. I also liked the Indian girls. The ones I liked got low scores and the ones I hated got high scores go figure.
    I also liked the Chinese group a lot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Last night was a bit better... better dancing, and more explanations by the judges. Still, a horrible excuse for a "masters" show. The US tapper they brought on isn't even in the same league as some of our local talent. I suppose they had to find folks with union cards, but I think they could have done better.

eta, I'm still angry about the US tapper. She tapped in heels (something unheard of outside Broadway), completely got off the music at one point, and was snippy at the scores. Get a grip girl.

I agree about the US tap dancer, but the other soloist from US got in-go figure-I don't get that type of dance at all-weird poses.

MRD

If this is supposed to be the "best" of each country, then I'll eat my hat.

I think this is more of "the best we could actually come up with and get on the show".

I was actually surpised that the Russians didn't feature a ballerina from the Bolshoi instead of the modern dance chick. I woulf have rather seen a ballerina.

In fact, I would have rather seen more traditional dances like some of what we saw, than some of the more modern stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

you cannot really judge dance objectively expecially from different nations. the Bias will be there specially if you don't know much about the history of the dance.
    there is no wonder why the IOC refuses to allow dance at the olympic

Okay. I was really looking forward to this show, but was hoping for more cultural dances (Yay India). So I don't understand why Australia is in there - unless they are going to do aboriginal dancing, which I highly doubt. They should have brought in New Zealand instead - go Maoris! I agree Chinese martial arts is not dancing, although with contemporary dancing, it seems any movement done to music has become dancing. American dancing or rather dancing originated from the US should be hip hop, swing and the hula. Comments from the host, coaches and non-voting judges should go (although I love the Russian judge). The Chinese judge also makes me laugh. That being said, how do you judge another country's traditional dance style?

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3264664;
    Somebody please shoot the director!

The constant movement of the cameras plus those ever-changing close-ups to medium shots to long shots is horrendous!

I don't think they keep one shot for more than a second or two.

This does the dancers a great disservice and it's giving me vertigo.
    Ugh! I made this same comment to one of my kids. I think they use the same people as on SYTYCD or ABDC - I had the same complaint on both of those shows!! Why can't they hold the stinkin camera still so we can actually see the dancers!?

ETA - I also agree that most of the judges are a bummer. I only remember seeing scores between 7 and 10, and never a real explanation for the score. Nothing beyond "that was great" or "that needs more work".
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-06-2009 at 05:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread