+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 Premiere Episode *~Spoilers~*

FORT Regular

Re: 1/4 Premiere Episode *~Spoilers~*

The shows hosts are boring as heck.
    They made no real attempt to connect us with the dancers.
    The camera work / shot selection has been horrible.
    The judging was poorly done in the the judges seemed biased, they made no attempt to explain their scores, and they were boring.
    My station here in AZ even skipped the Russian dance and the Indian dance near the beginning, they came back from a commercial and were scoring the Indian dance.

The dancing so far while in places was very good, still mainly left me cold. Seeing Robert Morraine was a treat, as I got hooked on SYTYCD this past summer, but I am just not getting into this show, a total bummer. I expected better.

I'm disappointed in this show, I thought it had more potential than this. I think part of it is that the camera work stinks. I don't think showing close-ups of sweat beading down a forehead is indicative of the dancer's talent (but, that's just me). I don't understand why they chose to shoot close-up shots and miss the full body. Heads up cameramen, dance is about the BODY, NOT the face. Well, in tango, the face, but. . . . . .

The popper, throw him out. Sheesh, that's what the US can offer? Scarry thought. The other two, I didn't like either, too much like (gosh, I'm gonna be called Simon here) cruise ship entertainment. At least on a cruise ship the stage (ship) is moving. It was too gymnastic to be called dance. I know there is a style of dance that incorporates the gymnastic movements (the name escapes me right now), but there is dance along with it when it's done well. I popped popcorn during their dance.

I liked the Chinese group, except it was more of a karate demonstration, not dance. There are so many traditional Chinese dances that can be showcased, why this act? I know the martial arts are an intregal part of the culture, but they could have incorporated more dance into the act.

South African team, looked like amateur Stomp.

The Bollywood women were beautiful, the dance was lovely, but they lost their synchronization.

My favorite (surprise - NOT) was the Irish dancers. I adore the dance, both soft and hard-shoe. But, the male soloist lost a little bit. I think part may be that the floor microphones didn't pick up some of his taps, which is intregal to the dance.

I wish they had Spain, I'd love to have seen a Flemnco.

The Tango was good, the woman was much better than the man. I don't know if it is just me (yes, I'm sure it is) but he seemed stoop-shouldered and looking down too much. The woman was fabulous, she earned their score, and the lift at the end was great too.

My favorite individual dancer, Pasha. Love Pasha. I would watch him walk down the center of the mall and give him an 11.

This was such a total disappointment. I didn't even watch the whole show. I erased it from my DVR. Just not at all what I expected
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan;3264679;
    My favorite individual dancer, Pasha. Love Pasha. I would watch him walk down the center of the mall and give him an 11.
    That was a good one dougrayfan
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3264680;
    This was such a total disappointment. I didn't even watch the whole show. I erased it from my DVR. Just not at all what I expected
    Agree==boring! Bring back Dancing with the Stars

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I was really hoping to like this show but am with those who were disappointed. I may watch a few more episodes just to see if it gets better, but the promos were more exciting to watch. I only thought a handful of performances were good and memorable, and a couple of those I can't remember who it was that did them. The judging was bias, the hosts were boring, I thought there were too many commercials but at the same time, I thought the performances were rushed. It just didn't seem too well put together. And the camera work sucked big time. I got dizzy watching some performances.

I'm getting the feeling Ireland might win it. Not that they don't deserve it after tonight's performance at least.

FORT Fogey

Daddyzgirl-thanks!

I wish this show were a lot better. I agree it fails in all the ways mentioned by the posters above.

For me it is an odd kind of pastiche--the dancers are "professionals" except not all of them.

It's uneven and makes the whole thing uncomfortable.

I prefer the kind of mix of pros/amateurs of DWTS--this is as someone else said above--boring.

And I'll add uncomfortable.

Too bad. I studied cultural anthropology in college and I love to see dances from many differnt cultures.

Maybe it would have been better without the contemporary stuff mixed in?

I don't know.

A missed opportunity to do something really good IMO.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 01-04-2009 at 11:59 PM.

FORT Fogey

OMG!

The monks danced to a trance version of the theme from "Barry Lyndon"?

I do not know what to think or feel about that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3264680;
    I was bored too. SYTYCD has spoiled me for stand out choreography.
    This show makes me appreciate Mia Michaels and Wade Robeson more than I already do.

FORT Fogey

Another couple of things: I like that they have expanded the definition of dance to include exibitions and acrobatics. With so many performing it would be would be boring otherwise, not that it isn't now. I will keep watching but let my Tivo pick it up first. It requires a healty dose of FF.

The chat on the couch is not interesting We heard the African woman diss her soloist! He can do better? I am sure that flavored the judging. If his own expert did not rave about him why should they deal out fancy scores.

Some of the judges say the number score in their own language before saying it in English. Odd since we see the number and not everyone does it.

The scoring seemed so arbitrary. They are not using any criteria beyond how the dance appealed to them. Perhaps when the numbers dwindle we will hear more about why they gave the score they did. Some appear to be using a dance criteria and give lower scores to the performer who relies on gimicks; others do not.

Biggest question, will the Chinese judge ever change his expression or give any other number besides 8 or 9? Not a happy guy. People in China really do smile. I know they do, I have seen pictures.

+ Reply to Thread