+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Flatley - Host

Re: Michael Flatley - Host

Ladies, those are great explanations of Michael's story. I was fortunate enough to see him perform one time (and nearly didn't, found out about Feet of Flames being in Greenville quite by accident) and hung out at the back gate with a few others after the show. Michael was really very kind and took the time to speak with everyone. When one woman began to cry because she was so excited, he gave her a hug (I should have tried that!). He signed every autograph he was asked to sign, posed for photos and encouraged everyone. Ego he may have but in my opinion, well-earned and he put it aside to make the 12 or so of us feel like we were the only fans on the planet. My admiration for him grew by leaps and bounds.

I saw him in Lord of the Dance at Radio City and again in Albany, but didn't go for autographs.

Saw Jean Butler, Colin Dunne, Eileen Martin, and Pat Roddy in Riverdance at Radio City as well and Colin Dunne and Eileen Martin in Saratoga. My youngest daughter loved Katie McMahon and got her autograph.

Michael Patrick Gallager does workshops at the Irish dance studio my daughters attended.

What gets me with this show is that the Irish team is just doing MF's dance moves from his LOTD stuff. I'd like to see some of the more traditional Irish stepdancing, some set dances, céilí dances and Sean-nós moves. There's a lot more to Irish dancing that what he has done.

MF the only good thing about this show. I like his persona - He's not a drama queen like Ryan Seacrest
    America's Next Top Best Friend!

I thought Irish judge Daire Nolan looked way familiar!

(I still think 'Daire' (Dara) sounds like a chick's name.

Never got to see Flatley live, but I saw Riverdance and Lord of the Dance ad nauseum on PBS and wound up purchasing those videos. Saw a touring production of LOtD when it came to my town--since Colin Dunne they seem to have stuck with a dark Irish brunet in the lead. The guy I saw was very lithe, but all of 5'2"--not a super impressive specimen for "Lord of the Dance". I've always thought the Dark Lord had some better numbers, but then playing a baddie is always more fun, inn'it? The Bad Girl dancer was more interesting to watch than the Good Girl for the same reason.

I have oft wondered if Michael's Irish lilt is a put-on (lad grew up in Chicago, after all), or if he naturally picked it up after so many years of living in Ireland and being surrounded by Irish dancers. I agree that his hosting duties for this show are tedious, but his remarks are all scripted and he is supposed to read them as is. (Yawn.) He looks happy and well, though definitely his stud days appear to be over. Dancing is such a punishing career. Now that he's not dancing an insane schedule any more, Michael is going to have to be vigilant about not getting fat. He seems a bit jowly in the chops.

Hikari, Colin Dunne never did Lord of the Dance; he was in Riverdance.

Micheal Flatley's lilt is most likely the result of living in Ireland for the last several years. Plus being married to his wife Niamh probably rubs off some too! The way he pronounces his "r's" particularly stands out to me. I have seen him on TV on other shows, both here and in Ireland. When he is on Irish TV, his accent really comes on thick. The Irish tend to pronounce "th" as just a "t"....like the word thought would sound like taut. I haven't picked that up yet on this show.

I wonder if he has been staying here in the states since he did that stint on DWTS. Maybe after that, they started producing this show. I thought his pronunciations were tame on DWTS, compared to how I have heard him on Irish TV the past, but they seem much tamer on this show now.

Daire is a popular Irish name for both boys and girls. Although most boys spell it Darragh and the girls spell it Dara or Daire (and pronounce it Da-ra).

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3265254;
    I didn't watch it last night as he was the one who subbed for Len on Dancing with the Stars for a week, correct? He was extremely boring and monotone on that show, so I didn't want to bother with him on this new one.
    Me too.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3278783;
    Hikari, Colin Dunne never did Lord of the Dance; he was in Riverdance.

Micheal Flatley's lilt is most likely the result of living in Ireland for the last several years. Plus being married to his wife Niamh probably rubs off some too! The way he pronounces his "r's" particularly stands out to me. I have seen him on TV on other shows, both here and in Ireland. When he is on Irish TV, his accent really comes on thick. The Irish tend to pronounce "th" as just a "t"....like the word thought would sound like taut. I haven't picked that up yet on this show.

I wonder if he has been staying here in the states since he did that stint on DWTS. Maybe after that, they started producing this show. I thought his pronunciations were tame on DWTS, compared to how I have heard him on Irish TV the past, but they seem much tamer on this show now.

Daire is a popular Irish name for both boys and girls. Although most boys spell it Darragh and the girls spell it Dara or Daire (and pronounce it Da-ra).
    yes.

I like him, and think he is a good host.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12