+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Those poor contestants....

Also, lets not forget all the exploitive "shows" that AREN'T reality based. I mean, really...

Thanks geekgirl for the compliment on my new "look".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie
    Thats not even close! Those are one time pranks that last 20 mins at most, everyone laughs at the end and they move on. This is a MULTI week prank that really has these people feeling confident about their futures and excited about being stars. Cant even compare the 2 when these people find out the truth...punk'd can make people angry, this show can make them suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Then all the prank shows are evil too. Hidden Camera, Punk'd, America's Funniest Videos, etc.. In those shows, people are being filmed (most of the time unknowing) doing stupid, idiotic stuff so we can laugh at them.

I highly doubt the "integrity of mankind" is at risk here simply because these people are singing badly on television and we're laughing. :rolleyes

Well, I guess I'm part of the "axis of evil" and I'm dragging the moral fiber of the world down because I find the show funny. I agree to disagree.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    I haven't watched more than a total of five minutes of this show...simply because it seems quite cruel to me. It just isn't right to do that to people.

A I FAN ALL 5 YEARS pokealot214's Avatar
    far northern Minnesota usually, but wherever my job takes me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Kaky, I'm not disagreeing with you. But you're watching. Or have watched, or you wouldn't be posting about it. In that regard, the WB got what it wanted.

I've only seen the latest episode of the show, so I can only comment on the last four contestants. Yes, it's a cruel joke. I have a great deal of sympathy for Mario - he seems like a sweet, if somewhat awkward young man. I have less sympathy for Rosa and Jamie; they seem to have enormous egos and attitudes of entitlement - especially Rosa. Folks that arrogant getting taken down a peg doesn't bother me too much.

And for the record, I only watched because I had to recap it.
    If you had watched earlier shows Wayner, I'm sure you would have included 'Nina Diva' in your list of people needing to be brought down a peg! Oh My God!!! While I agree that this show is at least somewhat cruel, I would think that after the 'hoax' was revealed, each contestant had at least some sort of legal recourse to keep their images/voices from being broadcast, no matter what kind of contract was signed. If for no other reason, based primarily on the fact that it was a hoax. It's my belief that these contestants probably had a choice at the moment of reveal as to whether they wanted themselves to go out on the 'airwaves'. If it was me and I had the choice, I can't say for certain what my decision would be, but I am aware enough to know that there is no such thing as 'bad publicity' in this world. Look at the 'success' of Will Hung, Anna Nicole Smith, Jessica Simpson and others for example. Even though they made complete and utter fools of themselves (arguably knowingly) on our televisions, they accomplished what they wanted to by becoming household names. Maybe that is what is in store for Mario, Jamie and the others. Would that really be so terrible for them?
    Last edited by pokealot214; 06-13-2004 at 01:41 AM.
    only here occasionally due to work schedule... here mentally even less BTW... you can just call me poke

FORT Newbie
    I don't blame the show at all, they're merely exploiting the mess Dr. Spock brought upon us. These contestants have friends and families at home that have actually led them to believe they're good. I love to sing, but I know that I have NO talent. I know this because I have a family that loves me enough to tell me the truth. I'm sick of this mentality where we can't tell someone they suck at something because we may "hurt their self esteem".

Quote Originally Posted by gdave44
    I don't blame the show at all, they're merely exploiting the mess Dr. Spock brought upon us. These contestants have friends and families at home that have actually led them to believe they're good. I love to sing, but I know that I have NO talent. I know this because I have a family that loves me enough to tell me the truth. I'm sick of this mentality where we can't tell someone they suck at something because we may "hurt their self esteem".
    sounds alot like me, lol... if you ask me, that brings up a very valid point.. at the very least, someone should have told them to be careful on the show and just been honest that they can't sing.. I refuse to accept that it is all the WB's doing... for all we know... THEY know the truth and just playing along for the ride...

I, too, am bringing down the moral standards of this country and society as a whole... I don't care either...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gdave44
    That's not it at all. On American Idol, the judges are often blunt, sometimes to the point of cruelty. But, in the end, it for these contestant's own good. However, on this show, they do just the opposite. They string them along for weeks, all for the sake of a few cheap laughs. It crosses the line.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12