+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The $100,000 "Prize"...deceptive wording?

The $100,000 "Prize"...deceptive wording?

Has anyone else noticed that during the opening credits, Seacrest McLite never says a cash prize of $100,000...? His exact words are:

"...and walk away with a recording contract. And an advance of $100,000 cash."

An ADVANCE??? Now, as most of you have figured out, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I always thought an advance meant you had to earn your patron at least that much money or give back the balance. In other words, your album only makes $50,000, you give back the other $50,000.

Is this correct?

I made a similar point in another thread Bo3b.

I think the winner does have to record tracks, either for a single or album in order to get any money, plus the cost of recording would come out of the $100,000.
    I think potentially the winner could end up with very little.

Hopefully someone can explain this better, butI don't think the winner is walking away with $100,000.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yes, an advance would need to be paid back if not earned.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Well, that's shiatty.

There's no way that any of these contestants left could make 100K in CD sales. They're gonna end up owing the show.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

So, they are humiliating them AND scamming them?
    wow this sucks.
    and the thing is I don't think the contestants hear him say that phrase since they are not even close to the stage at the time

JR.
    Most music contracts have some sort of advance, no matter who it is. The artist won't recieve royalties until the record company is paid back, but it depends on the actual contract as to if the artist must give the money back.

That's true, but in most cases the artist would actually stand a chance of making some money,which I don't think it necessarily true of these contestants.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan
    I can't see WB scamming the winner. I'm pretty sure the winner will get the full $100k. Afterall, $100K is peanuts considering they're getting like 5-10 hours of TV programming. I can't see them trying to save a measley $100k and risk the possible public backlash and bad publicity that would occur.

I think the $100k advance is basically the *minumim* the winner will get. If their contract makes more money, then they'll get a cut of the profits beyond the $100k. I can't see a big corporation like WB trying a scam over such a small amount ... it's basically loose change to them.

What if you're uber-famous? Can you have it written into your contract that you don't have to pay anything back? Ok, I'm stretching it, but just wondered if the really famous got the same treatment.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

JR.
    I believe Marriah Carrey (sp?) recently went through something where she signed a long term deal for a big chunk of money up front, her album didn't sell as expected, and she was "released" from the deal without having to give the money back. There may have even been a buy-out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast