+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally Started To Feel Bad About The Show

But what is the future in the music industry for a bad singer? I guess I don't understand why it matters- these people would never get record contracts in the first place because they cannot sing. At least with this show, they have a chance to win some money and maybe a chance to do something non-musically. It's not ruining their chances to be a singer because they'd never ever be one in the first place, you know? Regardless, they signed up to be on the show. They're not being forced at gunpoint. Yeah, it's deceiving, but again, it's not ruining their chances for a musical career because let's face it, there is no talent there otherwise they wouldn't have made it ON the show!

I felt bad watching last night.
    I was laughing along during the auditions because some the things the judges said really amused me.
    Last night though, seeing the contestants so excited to be chosen seemed like a joke gone too far to me.

I agree tat there are a couple of contestants that seem really pretty arrogant, Nina Diva and Frank spring to mind.

I think the exposure argument can apply, it just depends how the contestants react to the joke.
    None of these people would have a hope of a contract without the show.
    The blond with the big chest is probably the only one that could make it looks-wise, but even her look is so played and outdated now.
    We didn't need the first Britney and Jessica, we certainly don't need some bizarre hybrid of the two.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I feel bad for some of the people, but the ones that are really in love with themselves, no, I don't feel bad for. That one guy from NJ, I can't remember his name, but he was the one who wants to dress like Britney, & when they came to his house he said something along the lines of he wasn't really surprised that he was picked. He, I do not feel sorry for at all.

One of the guys (can't remember which one) said something funny though. He said people will hear him sing & feel good about themselves, & I thought "yeah, but not in the way you are thinking!"
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by addikted

I can't feel sorry for these people, cause they think they're all that. Heck this is what they deserve for being so delusional in the first place IMHO.
    So being cocky makes you deserving of being humiliated? Hmm. And, not to mention, not all of them are even cocky. What about Ross? He's actually really modest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    So being cocky makes you deserving of being humiliated? Hmm. And, not to mention, not all of them are even cocky. What about Ross? He's actually really modest.
    That is why they eliminated Ross. I won't feel bad if they pick people like Nina Diva to win. I think she can handle the "truth." With the amount of exposure, superstar treatments, and not to mention the $100,000 she looks like she could accept it as full compensation.

Don't feel bad, this show's probably not as bad as it promotes itself to be and like somebody says, the finale's probably going to be one huge package of "compensation" to the winner and just about everybody who's involved.

Besides we don't have to look far as an example- the current American "Hung" fever should tell you that anything's possible. The question should be are we too PC or too fear of shame to allow ourselves the luxury of making fun of or making light at talent(s) which we know perfectly there is none?

Quote Originally Posted by decan
    Don't feel bad, this show's probably not as bad as it promotes itself to be and like somebody says, the finale's probably going to be one huge package of "compensation" to the winner and just about everybody who's involved.

Besides we don't have to look far as an example- the current American "Hung" fever should tell you that anything's possible. The question should be are we too PC or too fear of shame to allow ourselves the luxury of making fun of or making light at talent(s) which we know perfectly there is none?
    While I totally agree that these losers are going to be compensated.. there is a difference between what AI does by showing in the early going, a bunch of tone deaf singers who then get told not to quit their day job's by Simon, and a show like this which basically builds up these people and then knocks them down for our enjoyment. While it is TOTALLY hysterical watching them you can't help but feel bad that when they watch themselves later they're going to be humiliated. Not because they were talentless to begin with, but because all the positive encouraging words they received while participating were just said in order to make them act more and more foolish.

This isn't a case like with William Hung, where he's been told he sucks, and yet he continues to perform and annoy us with his suckyness.. he's being exploited, but he's exploiting himself as well. He now knows he is a bad singer, and is basically living out his 15 minutes (please tell me it's the 14th minute.. cuz I dunno how much more of him I can take) of fame. Good for him. I may find him personally objectionable, but whatever.. if I was as useless as he is, yet able to make people laugh with me, then I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing. That's not the same as this show. These people think they're good for whatever reason, (god only knows) and the show is centred around building up their self-esteem only to reveal the truth and watch them crumble.

I'm not a PC person in the least (I had a class of 300 people threatening to kick my butt after class because I used every offensive and derogatory name in the book to prove my point regarding the power words hold over us, and why minority groups use them in order to reclaim them.. so trust me.. I have no problem being unPC), but I do have a sense of morals, and in my opinion, this show is morally bankrupt. It's funny.. but it's completely immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by jesdav99
    Even if these people don't know how bad they sound, shouldn't they notice that they've been given the worst makeovers in history?

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Those makeovers sucked big time. Why did they need to put yellowish blonde in everyone's hair?? I think the only improvement was Ross because it made him look less androgynous.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

I was starting to feel bad last night too. If only because the jusdges were pushing the people to be even worse. I thought John Michael (thw 'War" guy, right?) did pretty good, especially when compared to everyone else. He can hold a note. But the judges told him to be more over the top. That I don't like. When it's the contestants choice (such as Nina Diva) then it's exploitation, but that is what she's looking for anyway.

and Mario is just so clueless, I fell bad for him too.
    Others I rationalize my way out of, becauswe it is too funny - like Frank, who frightened me I'm just surprised my ex-roomie wasn't on there because she was the quintesential NYC wannabe, sang horribly but went to every open audition and casting call. Her acting was even worse, but that was her chosen career and refused to be an extra when she was "born to be a leading lady". Those types of people, I don't feel bad for. Maybe because I lived with one.

I thought John Michael actually did a good job and was very surprised he stayed. It leads me to suspect that there is more to this show than we have been lead to believe. There were some really bad performers in the auditions that didn't make it, then the mysterious Emily appeared only to be able to sing well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast