+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This Show Has Gone to an All Time Low

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    So the end (a little bit of noteriety, and only for a few of them), justifies the means (humiliation for the sake of entertaintainment)?

Doesn't fly with me.
    Hey better than nobody even having a chance to get a little bit of noteriety.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    well exactly, there you go.... all the more reason why the wb superstar is a "golden" opportunity of a lifetime for anyone of them to break into the entertainment (not necessarily music) business..... I mean what other avenue(s) is there for these guys to exhibit their "talents" for the world to see? AI? I don't think so and anyway how many william hungs are there making albums.... that's right just one. In short, the chances of any one of them signing any sort of contract is next to nil, BUT if there wasn't a show like the wb superstar, there wouldn't even be a chance for them to have this opportunity either, right? All I'm saying, again, is that let them have this chance.... whether or not they would succeed is not (necessarily) up to us.

I'm not saying they are there just for the fun of it... I'm sure most if not all of them are "naive" enough to take this competition seriously.... like I said before I don't deny that they do have "children qualities" about them yet they aren't children, they're full grown adults..... whether or not they know they are being exploited is their own problem, not necessarily ours (from the viewers perspective). And yet I don't deny the fact that this show is cruel and perhaps unnecessary and is being exploitative against "talentless" folks.... but again, we're not here to discuss the quality of the show as much as whether it should exist or not or the reasons for its existence (or otherwise).

Again I agree with you. This can be seen as nothing more than a tacky practical joke, even the host is starting to become a broken record saying exactly that. The question is not whether this is a good show or a bad show.... to me and many of us, we know it's bad but is it so bad that it is not watchable or so bad that it crosses the moral boundary or so bad that it should be condemned and surpressed? And my answer is No, No and No. The fact of the matter is this show is much less exploitative than alot of other programing on TV-land. Even your local evening news is probably more exploitative than wb superstar and as tacky and problematic this show has become, the fact is we should keep an open mind about this and even if you are adamant about your feelings towards this show, at the very least, give it a break, don't watch it if you really don't like it at all. Afterall the show's nothing more than pure entertainment but they're not going way overboard either so to me it's alright.
    I agree

Shocking news--How producers got the audience to play along (Sick)

May 11, 2004 -- Reality TV has been known to pull the wool over people's eyes, but this time, it may have gone too far.
    At a taping for the upcoming "bad talent" series, "Superstar USA" producers lied and told audience members that the talentless contestants were actually terminally ill patients from the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The producers were worried that if they didn't lie, the audience would laugh or boo the contestants and give away the entire premise of the show, which is to fool really bad singers into thinking they're good.

For more, click the link below:
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/23976.htm

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Thanks for the link. That is really low.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Low, perhaps. Shocking? Not even a little.

Teraisa1

Hmmmmm...

From what I read, the producers did not agree to that, one guy simply opened his mouth before thinking. In fact, it really could have been a very stupid thing, but ALSO reported out of context. The audience was paid, and he COULD have been saying it sarcastically, "Let's hear it for the uh... guys who are... are... are from... the Make-A-Wish-Foundation. Yes! That's the ticket, yes."

I am exaggerating, but I can totally see it happening like that. I open my mouth and blow it all the time, LOL.

Having said all that, I still hope they make a donation.

Teraisa

FORT Newbie
    Ok guys, you need to learn to consider the source of what you're reading.

This article was written in the NY Post, which in reality is one step above a Tabloid. It certainly has minimal credibility in the journalism world.

Furthermore, the NY Post is owned by News Corporation, who also owns FOX. So clearly they have a tremendous vested interested in trashing the WB show, not only to make people tune their TV's away from Superstar and toward FOX, but also to maintain the integrity of American Idol.

And let's not forget -- FOX is probably just pissed that they didn't think of the idea first.

I'm not saying that this "Make-A-Wish Foundation" incident didn't happen, but I would certainly need to see some other source that's directly reporting it before I consider it remotely plausible. Is it too hard to believe that they hired 1,000 starving actors in L.A. and told them that if any of them start laughing, they get kicked out and don't get paid?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by think
    Is it too hard to believe that they hired 1,000 starving actors in L.A. and told them that if any of them start laughing, they get kicked out and don't get paid?
    Not at all. My first jobs in Los Angeles were being paid audience participant. Most notable was The Leeza Gibbons show, and at that time there were NO "real" audience people. I sat there and gave the best "interested" facial expressions that I'd ever done before. Fake laughed all the time.

If they don't get enough tourists from around the Mann Theatre to come to a "free taping of a talk show/sitcom/etc".. then they pay people.
    Last edited by Maveno; 06-15-2004 at 12:41 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by think
    Ok guys, you need to learn to consider the source of what you're reading.

This article was written in the NY Post, which in reality is one step above a Tabloid. It certainly has minimal credibility in the journalism world.
    True. The Post is right up there with a tabloid. What a joke. I never really bothered with the whole Make A Wish foundation rumor. I think people were already so ready to scold and scream about the show anyway so it was easier to just believe it. :rolleyes

I read a report elsewhere that one person on the show crew had just blurted that out to a small group and that someone took it out of context (or just really blew it up) and ran with it. (And FWIW we did see occasional shots of audience members laughing hysterically.)

Oh and Lots of new FORTers have come to the board over the last couple of days.
    Last edited by geekgirl; 06-15-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    If they don't get enough tourists from around the Mann Theatre to come to a "free taping of a talk show/sitcom/etc".. then they pay people.
    So that happens often? I did not know. How is the pay, I can't imagine that it's much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast