+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This Show Has Gone to an All Time Low

Quote Originally Posted by decan
    See I don't necessarily disagree with you..... in fact alot of what you just said is exactly what I think as well........ ie the 99 percent "bad" part about the show I talked about earlier.

The only thing I don't agree on is the fact that you won't allow yourself to give even an inch of sympathy or I should say open mindedness about this and just outright dismissed everything that is throwing at you, which is sort of unfair imo.

To answer your questions. I'm not here to discuss about the content of the show like I indicated before if you asked me how many possibly more humane ways of doing this kind of show is not even an issue that I want to discuss. It's not for me to say and if I was discussing this issue, however, I would probably be in total agreeance with you.

btw this IS an AI ripoff if you haven't noticed already.... the 3 judges and the dork host should give you more than enough "clue" to the punchline.... at least that's what I think.

You also asked what are they getting out of all this? To them it could very well be notoriety..... I'm not anyone of them so I can't say exactly what they want to get out this or what they can get of this. But that means you can't assume (the worse) either. Look they're not exactly like children.... innocent and naive... although you might say they do have more of those qualities about them, the fact of the matter is they are grown adults and the mere fact that they have the guts to cast on the show means they are more or less thick skinned and that they can take "the worse"..... including the "joke" .....like I said before, it's unlikely they will need therapy after.

The question left therefore is the question of their own judgement or lack there of but before we outright dismiss that about them entirely, I think it is worth a second look at what "potentially" be a good thing out of all this.... that's an opportunity to expose themselves in the opportunity of a lifetime! Whether that's fame and fortune, I don't know..... whether it would be similar to the William Hung experience, I don't know..... or maybe they get a gag on Jay Leno or something, again I don't know..... but all I know is if they didn't get on this show, none of that "potential" could possibly exist! Of course you could argue there are coutless "other" ways of acheiving that "potential" but this show is a golden opportunity imo for them as a "short cut" of sort (exposing yourself nationally and even internationally, I see that you watch the show in Canada as well) is not an easy task. This show gives them another route, so to speak.
    But thats the problem.. more than likely they have joined this show as a way to gain fame and fortune. I mean we would be hard pressed to come up with another reason that a bunch of people would apply for a singing competition show in the vein of American Idol. It is possible that a few of them joined because they wanted to get a William Hung like experience, but are now just going along for the ride, but it is unlikely that they are ALL in it because they know they are bad and just in it for fun. The fact is, the majority are in this competition for the reason you stated (and I highlighted) above. So yes, they are getting that short cut, but instead of what they wanted to be exposed for, they are instead being exposed as a laughing stock.

I'm not particularly interested in how they could possibly have done this show differently either. They are doing this show exactly as it is meant to be. Based on it's premise, the show is doing exactly what it set out to be, but the sad fact is, the intention of this show is to humiliate these people. It is not to give them a sounding board in order to make them and a record company lots of money, that is what AI is for. This is purely a mean spirited practical joke. I'm all for practical jokes, but I just think this one is tacky.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    They could call the show "Worst Singer in America" and a billion hopefuls would show up, sing their worst and then compete.. it would be less cruel than this show and would achieve the same result.. a recording contract for someone with no talent except their complete lack of talent.

and well said

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by icugrin
    Seems to me that we can blame the parents, friends, co-workers,bf and gf for these ppl being humiliated. I once had a bf that thought he was the best singer ( drunk or sober ) He would start singing and I would tell him "you make my head hurt when you sing" I told him all the time and not in a joking way either, "Sorry hun but you can't carry a tune in a bucket. Can you not hear yourself sing and know that you sound bad?" Finally I had to get him in front of other ppl and tell him to sing,then told the ppl to tell him what he sounded like. It was'nt a nice thing to do but before I would have let him go on TV and make a fool of himself when I knew he could'nt sing.Just because producers was telling them that they were good singers,your family and friends know better!!
    It is too bad that these people don't have a support network of family and friends (and people like you) to point out the truth to them. All the more reason it is horribly wrong for the producers to take advantage of them. It is simply preying on the weak.

I find this show phoney..to say the least.:phhht

more than likely they have joined this show as a way to gain fame and fortune. I mean we would be hard pressed to come up with another reason that a bunch of people would apply for a singing competition show in the vein of American Idol.
    well exactly, there you go.... all the more reason why the wb superstar is a "golden" opportunity of a lifetime for anyone of them to break into the entertainment (not necessarily music) business..... I mean what other avenue(s) is there for these guys to exhibit their "talents" for the world to see? AI? I don't think so and anyway how many william hungs are there making albums.... that's right just one. In short, the chances of any one of them signing any sort of contract is next to nil, BUT if there wasn't a show like the wb superstar, there wouldn't even be a chance for them to have this opportunity either, right? All I'm saying, again, is that let them have this chance.... whether or not they would succeed is not (necessarily) up to us.

It is possible that a few of them joined because they wanted to get a William Hung like experience, but are now just going along for the ride, but it is unlikely that they are ALL in it because they know they are bad and just in it for fun. The fact is, the majority are in this competition for the reason you stated (and I highlighted) above. So yes, they are getting that short cut, but instead of what they wanted to be exposed for, they are instead being exposed as a laughing stock.
    I'm not saying they are there just for the fun of it... I'm sure most if not all of them are "naive" enough to take this competition seriously.... like I said before I don't deny that they do have "children qualities" about them yet they aren't children, they're full grown adults..... whether or not they know they are being exploited is their own problem, not necessarily ours (from the viewers perspective). And yet I don't deny the fact that this show is cruel and perhaps unnecessary and is being exploitative against "talentless" folks.... but again, we're not here to discuss the quality of the show as much as whether it should exist or not or the reasons for its existence (or otherwise).

I'm not particularly interested in how they could possibly have done this show differently either. They are doing this show exactly as it is meant to be. Based on it's premise, the show is doing exactly what it set out to be, but the sad fact is, the intention of this show is to humiliate these people. It is not to give them a sounding board in order to make them and a record company lots of money, that is what AI is for. This is purely a mean spirited practical joke. I'm all for practical jokes, but I just think this one is tacky.
    Again I agree with you. This can be seen as nothing more than a tacky practical joke, even the host is starting to become a broken record saying exactly that. The question is not whether this is a good show or a bad show.... to me and many of us, we know it's bad but is it so bad that it is not watchable or so bad that it crosses the moral boundary or so bad that it should be condemned and surpressed? And my answer is No, No and No. The fact of the matter is this show is much less exploitative than alot of other programing on TV-land. Even your local evening news is probably more exploitative than wb superstar and as tacky and problematic this show has become, the fact is we should keep an open mind about this and even if you are adamant about your feelings towards this show, at the very least, give it a break, don't watch it if you really don't like it at all. Afterall the show's nothing more than pure entertainment but they're not going way overboard either so to me it's alright.

This show gives them another route, so to speak.
    I just want to add, and sometimes the ONLY route!

You have to look at this in their shoes (to understand).

I just want to add, and sometimes the ONLY route!

You have to look at this in their shoes (to understand).
    You make a decent argument, except for the fact that you're saying that this is their only route etc... Fine, fair enough.. BUT they don't view this as their only route. They actually think this is their 'big break' not their 'last resort'. That's where this argument falls apart. Looking at this from their position, they think they are good.. they don't view this show as their only route to stardom, they view it as their lucky break. Just wait till they find out they've been duped. It wont be pretty. There is no way to say that this show will likely benifit these people in ANY way.

You make a decent argument, except for the fact that you're saying that this is their only route etc... Fine, fair enough.. BUT they don't view this as their only route. They actually think this is their 'big break' not their 'last resort'. That's where this argument falls apart. Looking at this from their position, they think they are good.. they don't view this show as their only route to stardom, they view it as their lucky break. Just wait till they find out they've been duped. It wont be pretty. There is no way to say that this show will likely benifit these people in ANY way.
    See I hate to argue with you further but you're looking at it in the "absolute" (ie your "There is no way to say that this show will likely benifit these people in ANY way" )

My argument is that it is not that simple or not that "dire" so to speak.... of course feelings are going be exploited and humilitation is going to be the order of the 'finale' day.... there are no questions about it. But my argument from the start is that this show, as bad as it is, does offer some benefit to these people, who othewise are nobodies and unknowns which really doesn't benefit them in any way.... at the very least if they're going to be make fun of on the show, there will be sympathy on a national level for them, which is better than just being plain-Jane or plain-Joe. It's the opportunity that counts.

FORT Fogey
    But my argument from the start is that this show, as bad as it is, does offer some benefit to these people, who othewise are nobodies and unknowns which really doesn't benefit them in any way.... at the very least if they're going to be make fun of on the show, there will be sympathy on a national level for them, which is better than just being plain-Jane or plain-Joe. It's the opportunity that counts.
    So the end (a little bit of noteriety, and only for a few of them), justifies the means (humiliation for the sake of entertaintainment)?

Doesn't fly with me.

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    So the end (a little bit of noteriety, and only for a few of them), justifies the means (humiliation for the sake of entertaintainment)?

Doesn't fly with me.
    Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast