+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: This Show Has Gone to an All Time Low

  1. #31
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Oh, my. Somebody crossed a line there...I was willing to give this show a shot but this really rubs me the wrong way.

    Would it have killed them to say, "this is a hoax show, cheer loudest for the bad ones"?

    Exactly.
    "That's Numberwang!"

  2. #32
    Not caring is fun! Matt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,204
    I'm just going to point out the inconsistency of your argument here.. In one post you say..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b
    These people are deluded, clueless, and just want to be famous SO BAD, that they'd believe anything the producers tell them.
    Yet in next post you say..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b
    In the big picture, it's just a little white lie to make the audience reaction seem more genuine. I just don't think that if they told the audience it was a hoax that they would have played it right. People would most likely be WAY too over the top in their reactions to the performers, probably making them more suspicious.
    So.. if these people are so stupid that they'll believe anything, then would it not matter what kind of reaction the audience gave? An over the top reaction is exactly what the judges are giving these people, and an over enthusiastic reaction from the audience would have likely made no difference. Therefore, I would argue that the lie, to make the reaction more genuine is unnecessary, and from a moral and ethical standpoint, totally repugnant.

  3. #33
    Queeny queeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Age
    51
    Posts
    334
    clue me in here kids. Is this show for real, or has TV sunk to a level of no talent gets air time. Because I have a mutt who should apply to the next role call.

  4. #34
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by queeny
    clue me in here kids. Is this show for real, or has TV sunk to a level of no talent gets air time. Because I have a mutt who should apply to the next role call.
    hey by all means..... there's a new idea for those reality TV producers looking out for the next "big" thing..... an animal singing competition that'll be great!

  5. #35
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    The only good that that could come out of this show is a dontaion from the show to Make a Wish foundation. Maybe they will do it.
    You're denying the contestants' rights to "potential" opportunities right from the start.... so they're bad singers/ performers does that mean we have to shut down the show just because we know what's "best for them".... perhaps to save face? Why are you judging them, even as bad as they are, and denying them their "opportunity" (to live in fame for example or to be on TV) that otherwise they could NEVER EVER in a million year can even think about doing?

    William Hung did it..... why can't Jamie, Mario or Omar and others do it? Even if this show is a scam, the mere exposure to the world is invaluable opportunity for them..... otherwise unknown nobodies.

    This show might seem a bit cruel but it isn't as bad as what many of you might think and certainly I don't think any of the contestants will need therpy after the show. The producers won't go too far imo.

  6. #36
    Not caring is fun! Matt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    You're denying the contestants' rights to "potential" opportunities right from the start.... so they're bad singers/ performers does that mean we have to shut down the show just because we know what's "best for them".... perhaps to save face? Why are you judging them, even as bad as they are, and denying them their "opportunity" (to live in fame for example or to be on TV) that otherwise they could NEVER EVER in a million year can even think about doing?

    William Hung did it..... why can't Jamie, Mario or Omar and others do it? Even if this show is a scam, the mere exposure to the world is invaluable opportunity for them..... otherwise unknown nobodies.

    This show might seem a bit cruel but it isn't as bad as what many of you might think and certainly I don't think any of the contestants will need therpy after the show. The producers won't go too far imo.
    They could call the show "Worst Singer in America" and a billion hopefuls would show up, sing their worst and then compete.. it would be less cruel than this show and would achieve the same result.. a recording contract for someone with no talent except their complete lack of talent.

  7. #37
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    They could call the show "Worst Singer in America" and a billion hopefuls would show up, sing their worst and then compete.. it would be less cruel than this show and would achieve the same result.. a recording contract for someone with no talent except their complete lack of talent.
    Don't get me wrong... I don't hide the fact that they ARE bad and they ARE talentless! I'm not questioning whether they derserve a "contract" or not.... that's not my question and I'm not going to dwell on that either.....

    but what I'm getting at is that we need to be opened minded about this even if 99 percent about it is bad and at the very least give them the benefit of the doubt and give a little bit of respect to those who might find this as an opportunity of a lifetime..... hell, perhaps even lifetimeS

    Can't you at least give them that? That's all I'm saying really.

    Again I'm not questioning the show's content as much as we, the viewers, need to be a bit more open minded about this than what seems easily to be the opposite.....

  8. #38
    Not caring is fun! Matt64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by decan
    Don't get me wrong... I don't hide the fact that they ARE bad and they ARE talentless! I'm not questioning whether they derserve a "contract" or not.... that's not my question and I'm not going to dwell on that either.....

    but what I'm getting at is that we need to be opened minded about this even if 99 percent about it is bad and at the very least give them the benefit of the doubt and give a little bit of respect to those who might find this as an opportunity of a lifetime..... hell, perhaps even lifetimeS

    Can't you at least give them that? That's all I'm saying really.

    Again I'm not questioning the show's content as much as we, the viewers, need to be a bit more open minded about this than what seems easily to be the opposite.....
    I don't think you got the point I was making. The point I was making has very little to do with these people and their talents. You're saying that this show is the opportunity of a lifetime for these people. Fine.. thats fair enough, however.. does this show need to be needlessly cruel in order to get hack singers on TV? No. This show could exist in any number of formats, and all of them would be less offensive than this one. Like I said.. they could call this "Worst Singer in America" and lots of people would show up just to get themselves on TV. They can run this strictly like AI does, and have the audience vote out the best singer (wow.. sounds more and more like AI the more I type) each week, until we're left with the final 2.. the worst singers in America, and the 'winner' can get the same lame prize as the winner of this show is already getting.

    I don't see why we as viewers should be more open minded about shows like this. The point of this show is not to make these people feel good. The point of this show is to embarrass and humiliate the people participating in it. While this may be the opportunity of a lifetime for these people.. what exactly are they getting out of this? Notoriety? Wow.. I'd love to think I was talented, have judges tell me week after week that I'm really good and feed my delusion, only to then be told ON TELEVISION that I suck, and that everyone was feeding me a load of BS.. I'd LOOOOOVE to be known for that. There is no opportunity here.. there is just a grand prize to soften the blow to whoever it is that wins, that they are a really huge sucker.

  9. #39
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1

    who to blame

    Seems to me that we can blame the parents, friends, co-workers,bf and gf for these ppl being humiliated. I once had a bf that thought he was the best singer ( drunk or sober ) He would start singing and I would tell him "you make my head hurt when you sing" I told him all the time and not in a joking way either, "Sorry hun but you can't carry a tune in a bucket. Can you not hear yourself sing and know that you sound bad?" Finally I had to get him in front of other ppl and tell him to sing,then told the ppl to tell him what he sounded like. It was'nt a nice thing to do but before I would have let him go on TV and make a fool of himself when I knew he could'nt sing.Just because producers was telling them that they were good singers,your family and friends know better!!

  10. #40
    FORT Fan decan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    I LIVE HERE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    I don't think you got the point I was making. The point I was making has very little to do with these people and their talents. You're saying that this show is the opportunity of a lifetime for these people. Fine.. thats fair enough, however.. does this show need to be needlessly cruel in order to get hack singers on TV? No. This show could exist in any number of formats, and all of them would be less offensive than this one. Like I said.. they could call this "Worst Singer in America" and lots of people would show up just to get themselves on TV. They can run this strictly like AI does, and have the audience vote out the best singer (wow.. sounds more and more like AI the more I type) each week, until we're left with the final 2.. the worst singers in America, and the 'winner' can get the same lame prize as the winner of this show is already getting.

    I don't see why we as viewers should be more open minded about shows like this. The point of this show is not to make these people feel good. The point of this show is to embarrass and humiliate the people participating in it. While this may be the opportunity of a lifetime for these people.. what exactly are they getting out of this? Notoriety? Wow.. I'd love to think I was talented, have judges tell me week after week that I'm really good and feed my delusion, only to then be told ON TELEVISION that I suck, and that everyone was feeding me a load of BS.. I'd LOOOOOVE to be known for that. There is no opportunity here.. there is just a grand prize to soften the blow to whoever it is that wins, that they are a really huge sucker.
    See I don't necessarily disagree with you..... in fact alot of what you just said is exactly what I think as well........ ie the 99 percent "bad" part about the show I talked about earlier.

    The only thing I don't agree on is the fact that you won't allow yourself to give even an inch of sympathy or I should say open mindedness about this and just outright dismissed everything that is throwing at you, which is sort of unfair imo.

    To answer your questions. I'm not here to discuss about the content of the show like I indicated before if you asked me how many possibly more humane ways of doing this kind of show is not even an issue that I want to discuss. It's not for me to say and if I was discussing this issue, however, I would probably be in total agreeance with you.

    btw this IS an AI ripoff if you haven't noticed already.... the 3 judges and the dork host should give you more than enough "clue" to the punchline.... at least that's what I think.

    You also asked what are they getting out of all this? To them it could very well be notoriety..... I'm not anyone of them so I can't say exactly what they want to get out this or what they can get of this. But that means you can't assume (the worse) either. Look they're not exactly like children.... innocent and naive... although you might say they do have more of those qualities about them, the fact of the matter is they are grown adults and the mere fact that they have the guts to cast on the show means they are more or less thick skinned and that they can take "the worse"..... including the "joke" .....like I said before, it's unlikely they will need therapy after.

    The question left therefore is the question of their own judgement or lack there of but before we outright dismiss that about them entirely, I think it is worth a second look at what "potentially" be a good thing out of all this.... that's an opportunity to expose themselves in the opportunity of a lifetime! Whether that's fame and fortune, I don't know..... whether it would be similar to the William Hung experience, I don't know..... or maybe they get a gag on Jay Leno or something, again I don't know..... but all I know is if they didn't get on this show, none of that "potential" could possibly exist! Of course you could argue there are coutless "other" ways of acheiving that "potential" but this show is a golden opportunity imo for them as a "short cut" of sort (exposing yourself nationally and even internationally, I see that you watch the show in Canada as well) is not an easy task. This show gives them another route, so to speak.
    Last edited by decan; 05-27-2004 at 09:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.